Live Event 2021 AFL Draft live discussion

Noidnadroj

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 8, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Yep agree we have short Mansell stack Rioli we are loaded with them and we pick up another 2

Everyone here is making the mistake of bundling Brown and Banks with our small defenders. Brown and Banks are 186cm and 187cm …. Stack, Rioli, Baker, Mansell and Short are ALL under 180cm.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Noidnadroj

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 8, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
It's the type and strategy that seems odd.

We keep trying to find the unexpected gems from left field positions.

FFS, get some guinuine mids and forwards with size!

You mean forwards with size like Schache, Patton, Boyd, McAsey, McCartin, McBean, Day …. like that you mean? The hit rate on big forwards is terrible…. even those taken top-10.

As for mids … we’ve got them coming out of our a@$e…. whether they are up to it or not we actually need to play them to find out. No point getting another 3-4 x mids who may or may not make it. Then we could have 7-8 x crappy mids on our list. If we were not confident of a midfielder being top shelf then no point getting them.

Pure midfielders to have played less than 20 x games and under 22yo: RCD, Dow, Martyn, Ross, Sonsie. Come round 1, if we have a fit list how many of those get a game ? Maybe one …maybe….. yet everyone desperately wanted more midfielders ….

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
You mean forwards with size like Schache, Patton, Boyd, McAsey, McCartin, McBean, Day …. like that you mean? The hit rate on big forwards is terrible…. even those taken top-10.

As for mids … we’ve got them coming out of our a@$e…. whether they are up to it or not we actually need to play them to find out. No point getting another 3-4 x mids who may or may not make it. Then we could have 7-8 x crappy mids on our list. If we were not confident of a midfielder being top shelf then no point getting them.

Pure midfielders to have played less than 20 x games and under 22yo: RCD, Dow, Martyn, Ross, Sonsie. Come round 1, if we have a fit list how many of those get a game ? Maybe one …maybe….. yet everyone desperately wanted more midfielders ….

And if there is a good injury run it's hard to get a run in the middle

rd 1 line up

grimes tarrant baker
brown vlaustin gibcus
stack prestia dow
d.rioli reiwoldt lambert
clarke lynch bolton

nankervis martin sonsie

inter: broad cotchin bolta soldo

sub: edwards
this side rocks if i do say so myself
Shedda not in starting 22??
Have a spell lump

Noidnadroj

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 8, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
I know. i saw it happened and i am pre-tay pre-tay pre-tay sure i was the one, all year, saying we wont finish top 4 & will be luck to finish higher than 8th. I was incredibly realistic about where we were at - even at round 8 when i was being called a bad supporter etc

I'm not even pissed at our pics, as i said - i dont know jack sh*t about these kids outside phantom drafts and online reporting card browses.

But, I was also the guy who said we needed to look for some mature age depth in the KPF department if the club is seriously looking to go for a flag in 2022 which is what they are saying. Not me, THEY.

If our plan was to take no talls in the draft, then i'm baffled why we didn't take a back up tall for a stop gap, which is literally the same theory which we used to recruit Tarrant. If the players we drafted that appear to be flankers do indeed end up being just flankers - then this is going to be a disappointing use of a once in a decade draft hand. If they can be developed into something more - then all will be red smarties. Time will tell - but the road to success or failure from this draft is pretty clearly defined for us to make that call within a few years

Tarrant is AA quality and was available for nothing. The ‘depth’ players you’ve mentioned previously have included Casboult, Brander and Tom Campbell. If you think those types of stop gaps help deliver flags you’ve not watched much footy. Casboult wasn’t getting a game for Carlton when Curnow and McGovern were both out injured, yet if Lynch or Riewoldt go down he’s somehow going to help Richmond win games of footy??? Tom Campbells going to turn on the jets and win us a couple of crucial games … seriously, I want some of what you’re smoking… it’s just ludicrous logic.

If we could get a decent quality ruck-fwd back-up for not much in a trade I’d support it, but they simply don’t exist.

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
I know. i saw it happened and i am pre-tay pre-tay pre-tay sure i was the one, all year, saying we wont finish top 4 & will be luck to finish higher than 8th. I was incredibly realistic about where we were at - even at round 8 when i was being called a bad supporter etc

I'm not even pissed at our pics, as i said - i dont know jack sh*t about these kids outside phantom drafts and online reporting card browses.

But, I was also the guy who said we needed to look for some mature age depth in the KPF department if the club is seriously looking to go for a flag in 2022 which is what they are saying. Not me, THEY.

If our plan was to take no talls in the draft, then i'm baffled why we didn't take a back up tall for a stop gap, which is literally the same theory which we used to recruit Tarrant. If the players we drafted that appear to be flankers do indeed end up being just flankers - then this is going to be a disappointing use of a once in a decade draft hand. If they can be developed into something more - then all will be red smarties. Time will tell - but the road to success or failure from this draft is pretty clearly defined for us to make that call within a few years

Can't nyuon or miller play forward if required?

Caddy will likely be the first option if lynch/jack go down

Tiger71

?????? King of the Micro ??????
Sep 22, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Everyone here is making the mistake of bundling Brown and Banks with our small defenders. Brown and Banks are 186cm and 187cm …. Stack, Rioli, Baker, Mansell and Short are ALL under 180cm.

Spot on, I just dont get the negativity. We have blown this draft out of the water.

Clarke plays high half forward, has a tank and even can push up and support the midfield- Perfect Lambert replacement who made his name by playing high up the ground and using his work rate, just Clarke has a better penetrating kick and is a fantastic decision maker. He also hits targets and is known for his running game, he like lambert runs all day

Banks - Think of Broad but also has the ability to also push up on the wing, has fantastic speed, great tank and makes the right decisions on field either by hand or foot

Sonsie - feb 2021 was rated as high as a number 1 pick by son, top 5 by most. We have just replaced Cotchin but this lad can actually be damaging forward and kick goals.

Brown - We have now found a McIntosh replacement. He can run all day, a beauty by foot, makes good decisions but also can play back when needed. I cant wait to see Brown on one wing and Dow for example on the other.

Gibcus- Is Grimes replacement. A freak of an athlete that could be anything

So we have addressed needs while also bringing in high end talent. Have injected depth in our backline. Depth to our wings and added a quality mid who slots in with the quality of RCD, Dow, and Graham to support our established mids.

I am stoked. Next year we go KPF and inside mid hunting

This Is Anfield

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Podcaster
Feb 25, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, England, Furies
Spot on, I just dont get the negativity. We have blown this draft out of the water.

Clarke plays high half forward, has a tank and even can push up and support the midfield- Perfect Lambert replacement who made his name by playing high up the ground and using his work rate, just Clarke has a better penetrating kick and is a fantastic decision maker. He also hits targets and is known for his running game, he like lambert runs all day

Banks - Think of Broad but also has the ability to also push up on the wing, has fantastic speed, great tank and makes the right decisions on field either by hand or foot

Sonsie - feb 2021 was rated as high as a number 1 pick by son, top 5 by most. We have just replaced Cotchin but this lad can actually be damaging forward and kick goals.

Brown - We have now found a McIntosh replacement. He can run all day, a beauty by foot, makes good decisions but also can play back when needed. I cant wait to see Brown on one wing and Dow for example on the other.

Gibcus- Is Grimes replacement. A freak of an athlete that could be anything

So we have addressed needs while also bringing in high end talent. Have injected depth in our backline. Depth to our wings and added a quality mid who slots in with the quality of RCD, Dow, and Graham to support our established mids.

I am stoked. Next year we go KPF and inside mid hunting
Thanks for putting the sky back up where it belongs 👍

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Victory, All Blecks,
Tarrant is AA quality and was available for nothing. The ‘depth’ players you’ve mentioned previously have included Casboult, Brander and Tom Campbell. If you think those types of stop gaps help deliver flags you’ve not watched much footy. Casboult wasn’t getting a game for Carlton when Curnow and McGovern were both out injured, yet if Lynch or Riewoldt go down he’s somehow going to help Richmond win games of footy??? Tom Campbells going to turn on the jets and win us a couple of crucial games … seriously, I want some of what you’re smoking… it’s just ludicrous logic.

If we could get a decent quality ruck-fwd back-up for not much in a trade I’d support it, but they simply don’t exist.

Can we stop bringing Casboult into the thread, I’m gonna be sick

AstuteTiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Blues get an A for taking one player in Motlop LOL
Same as GC with Andrew

Only 4 teams got A+, Tigers, Freo, Eagles and Dees (sorry but no hope Dees 3 picks get you an A+, Jacob Van Rooyen (19), Blake Howes (39), Taj Woewodin (65)

Eagles did ok with Bazzo and Williams and Chesser but that's not an A+ haul
The hawks got Ward, Butler and MacDonald and were given a grade of A (i thought they did better than both the Eagles & Dees).

RICHMOND

Picks (at the start of draft):
7, 15, 26, 27, 28, 79

Selections: Josh Gibcus (9), Tom Brown (17), Tyler Sonsie (28), Sam Banks (29), Judson Clarke (30)

The Tigers nailed a terrific spread of player types with their juicy draft hand. They used their two first-round picks to address their defensive stocks, with Gibcus and Brown both strong intercept players. Although the Tigers could use Gibcus as a forward next year — a prospect some recruiters believe would work well. Sonsie could be anything. On talent alone, the midfielder was arguably a top-five talent in this year’s draft class, but slid due to a lack of continuity in a Covid-interrupted season. If it clicks for him at the Tigers though, he could be a genuine AFL star. Banks gives the Tigers great dash and versatility, while Clarke is a typical Tigers draftee: A small forward that can apply pressure and play a role. Although Clarke has ample tricks and an innate, mercurial goal nous. Big ticks for the Tigers.

Grade: A+

Oct 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Blues get an A for taking one player in Motlop LOL
Same as GC with Andrew

Only 4 teams got A+, Tigers, Freo, Eagles and Dees (sorry but no hope Dees 3 picks get you an A+, Jacob Van Rooyen (19), Blake Howes (39), Taj Woewodin (65)

Eagles did ok with Bazzo and Williams and Chesser but that's not an A+ haul
The hawks got Ward, Butler and MacDonald and were given a grade of A (i thought they did better than both the Eagles & Dees).

RICHMOND

Picks (at the start of draft):
7, 15, 26, 27, 28, 79

Selections: Josh Gibcus (9), Tom Brown (17), Tyler Sonsie (28), Sam Banks (29), Judson Clarke (30)

The Tigers nailed a terrific spread of player types with their juicy draft hand. They used their two first-round picks to address their defensive stocks, with Gibcus and Brown both strong intercept players. Although the Tigers could use Gibcus as a forward next year — a prospect some recruiters believe would work well. Sonsie could be anything. On talent alone, the midfielder was arguably a top-five talent in this year’s draft class, but slid due to a lack of continuity in a Covid-interrupted season. If it clicks for him at the Tigers though, he could be a genuine AFL star. Banks gives the Tigers great dash and versatility, while Clarke is a typical Tigers draftee: A small forward that can apply pressure and play a role. Although Clarke has ample tricks and an innate, mercurial goal nous. Big ticks for the Tigers.

Grade: A+

The ratings are a farce anyway. You can't rate the picks for at least 3 years.
Some of the ratings from previous years have been totally wrong.

Aug 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
I quoted these from the Hawks board a few weeks ago. They got an underwhelming response on here. Sounded okay to me.

“Sam Banks is a good Tassie player, has played HBF recently, but is good in the midfield and wing too(my favourite games ive seen him in was in the midfield, kicked a ridiculous goal from the centre circle against Oakleigh once), heres an interview with him, another Hawk Supporter as well. (Banks, Ward, Sheldrick, Browne, Soligo all Hawk Supporting prospects)”

“Whoever picks up this kid will be getting an absolute bargain. If he didn’t break his wrist earlier in the season, he would of pushed into top 15 of this years draft. Was dominating pre injury. Probably the best and accurate ‘long’ kick in this years draft, right and left foot.”

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
I quoted these from the Hawks board a few weeks ago. They got an underwhelming response on here. Sounded okay to me.

“Sam Banks is a good Tassie player, has played HBF recently, but is good in the midfield and wing too(my favourite games ive seen him in was in the midfield, kicked a ridiculous goal from the centre circle against Oakleigh once), heres an interview with him, another Hawk Supporter as well. (Banks, Ward, Sheldrick, Browne, Soligo all Hawk Supporting prospects)”

“Whoever picks up this kid will be getting an absolute bargain. If he didn’t break his wrist earlier in the season, he would of pushed into top 15 of this years draft. Was dominating pre injury. Probably the best and accurate ‘long’ kick in this years draft, right and left foot.”

They were in love with sonsie too

JR82

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
hate them all
The ratings are a farce anyway. You can't rate the picks for at least 3 years.
Some of the ratings from previous years have been totally wrong.
It's ridiculous, not sure how they be rated when they haven't really played for 2 yrs. it's harder to rate them now than ever before.

Aug 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
In a couple of years time we could have the greatest backline in the history of the game at this rate. 😜
VFL as well
The lack of key forward stands out to me even more than our lack or ruckman before last season - its just not a great
Gibcus may not have the size for a defensive post this year but his aerial ability would make him a dangerous third forward.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
I dont get what point you are trying to make here. Maybe we shouldn't partake in the draft at all because players can bust?

There are also heaps of midfield, ruck, defender busts in the top 10. It doesn't mean you don't draft them....

tony__montana

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Except of that lot Rioli is now a HBF, Edwards is about to retire, Bolton will play mostly midfield, Aarts and Castagna are not up to it. Lynch and JRoo kicked 86-goals last year with Lynch missing 5 games. Small-medium goal kicking was by far our biggest problem area. We need a 30+ goal skilful goal-sneak badly !!

Rioli, Stack and Bakers days as a hb are probably numbered given we’ve drafted 2 pacy rebounding defenders with a bit more size to them and we still have Short, Vlastuin down there not to mention Mansell. So naturally one would assume those players are likely to be tried fwd again.

Just feel we had more needs elsewhere than this type, we have plenty to roll through the small fwd, high Hf role

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
Sleeping on it, it is starting to make sense why the club didn’t load up on mids and KPPs. They are giving our young midfield and existing young KPPs the opportunity to do something next season. I think we’ll find that they will heavily load up on mids and KPPs in the next few drafts if our young midfielders still don’t show anything. They’re probably doing the same with KPPs (we still have quite a few in Biggie, Ryan, Miller etc. that could play those roles). If that’s the idea then I’m happy to see what happens.

Richmond’s become the rational club that don’t get impatient lately, which is a good thing. You need that when making list decisions. Big season needed from our youth!

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond

AFL rule changes force Tigers to chase kicks
Michael Gleeson

By Michael Gleeson

Richmond have mined the national draft with five picks inside 30, not only to avoid the free fall that follows an era of success, but out of necessity after AFL rule changes.
Recent changes to the rules have forced the Tigers to chase elite kicks in the draft. Those rule changes have partly taken Richmond’s high-pressure forward line crush game away from them, and helped favour the transition game rebounding from half-back. That has forced the Tigers to go to the draft with a higher priority on the kicking skills of their recruits.
Josh Gibcus high-fives Judson Clarke at the AFL Draft Victoria training day at Trevor Barker Oval recently.

Josh Gibcus high-fives Judson Clarke at the AFL Draft Victoria training day at Trevor Barker Oval recently.CREDIT:AFL PHOTOS
Having taken an intercept marking defender in Josh Gibcus with their first pick in the first round, the Tigers attacked runners who could kick with their next four picks.
They got Tom Brown at 17 on Wednesday night, and then with three picks from 28 to 30 on Thursday night they took Tyler Sonsie, an inside midfielder in the Darcy Parish mould, Sam Banks from Tasmania, and quick goal-kicking small forward and midfielder Judson Clarke with their last pick.

Judson Clarke.

Judson Clarke.CREDIT:AFL PHOTOS
“We have got some parts of our list that we needed bolstering in terms of depth,” Richmond recruiting manager Matthew Clarke said.
“We have always had a bit of a focus on kicking, but we’ve played such a high-pressure style of footy that that hasn’t been as paramount [in recent years]. But with a slight change in the AFL rules maybe there’s a bit more of a focus on that [kicking], and these boys that we have brought in, particularly Brown, Banks and Clark – Sonsie is a good kick but he is more of a midfielder, a running type – that’s what we targeted with those three.
“I think it’s [the list has] had a bit of a tweak.
“I think there’s some data suggesting there’s a bit more attacking from the back half, rather than from the front half turnover. You’d like to play a front half turnover game, but if there is ball movement from the back half that is where you have got to have ball users to do that.”

Clarke said the Tigers had looked at the experiences of Sydney, Hawthorn and Geelong in how they dealt with their lists after periods of success and wanted to attack this year’s draft to rejuvenate with youth after having secured players though free agency and trades in recent years.

“We targeted this draft as having some really good depth in the runners and obviously good key position players early. We wanted best available and it worked out really well that the best available for us was the big boy Josh [Gibcus].
“You have got to find that balance and we have taken some lessons out of some sides that have been successful, and obviously [the] Hawks and Cats and the Swans had some success there as well ... so we have looked at all those models and hopefully have taken a little bit out of everything and have that balance without going too heavy with one, with heavy in the draft, or heavy with trade and free agency.
“Hopefully we’ve been able to balance that with some free agents and trades that have come in over the last few years, and tonight we thought it was a good opportunity to add some talent.”

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond

AFL rule changes force Tigers to chase kicks
Michael Gleeson

By Michael Gleeson

Richmond have mined the national draft with five picks inside 30, not only to avoid the free fall that follows an era of success, but out of necessity after AFL rule changes.
Recent changes to the rules have forced the Tigers to chase elite kicks in the draft. Those rule changes have partly taken Richmond’s high-pressure forward line crush game away from them, and helped favour the transition game rebounding from half-back. That has forced the Tigers to go to the draft with a higher priority on the kicking skills of their recruits.
Josh Gibcus high-fives Judson Clarke at the AFL Draft Victoria training day at Trevor Barker Oval recently.

Josh Gibcus high-fives Judson Clarke at the AFL Draft Victoria training day at Trevor Barker Oval recently.CREDIT:AFL PHOTOS
Having taken an intercept marking defender in Josh Gibcus with their first pick in the first round, the Tigers attacked runners who could kick with their next four picks.
They got Tom Brown at 17 on Wednesday night, and then with three picks from 28 to 30 on Thursday night they took Tyler Sonsie, an inside midfielder in the Darcy Parish mould, Sam Banks from Tasmania, and quick goal-kicking small forward and midfielder Judson Clarke with their last pick.

Judson Clarke.

Judson Clarke.CREDIT:AFL PHOTOS
“We have got some parts of our list that we needed bolstering in terms of depth,” Richmond recruiting manager Matthew Clarke said.
“We have always had a bit of a focus on kicking, but we’ve played such a high-pressure style of footy that that hasn’t been as paramount [in recent years]. But with a slight change in the AFL rules maybe there’s a bit more of a focus on that [kicking], and these boys that we have brought in, particularly Brown, Banks and Clark – Sonsie is a good kick but he is more of a midfielder, a running type – that’s what we targeted with those three.
“I think it’s [the list has] had a bit of a tweak.
“I think there’s some data suggesting there’s a bit more attacking from the back half, rather than from the front half turnover. You’d like to play a front half turnover game, but if there is ball movement from the back half that is where you have got to have ball users to do that.”

Clarke said the Tigers had looked at the experiences of Sydney, Hawthorn and Geelong in how they dealt with their lists after periods of success and wanted to attack this year’s draft to rejuvenate with youth after having secured players though free agency and trades in recent years.

“We targeted this draft as having some really good depth in the runners and obviously good key position players early. We wanted best available and it worked out really well that the best available for us was the big boy Josh [Gibcus].
“You have got to find that balance and we have taken some lessons out of some sides that have been successful, and obviously [the] Hawks and Cats and the Swans had some success there as well ... so we have looked at all those models and hopefully have taken a little bit out of everything and have that balance without going too heavy with one, with heavy in the draft, or heavy with trade and free agency.
“Hopefully we’ve been able to balance that with some free agents and trades that have come in over the last few years, and tonight we thought it was a good opportunity to add some talent.”
100% our main issue has been our footskills.Think Doggies.
We've addressed it so i can't see why people are still complaining.

Back