List Mgmt. 2021 NAB National AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

It was a great move IMO.

I really wish we had have managed to do it twice so we could have got both Draper and Taylor. But alas it was not to be.

Murley looks good regardless.

I’d have liked it too, considering the type we went with, but like a move to get Bazzo (if we were keen) it may have been cost prohibitive.

Overall it was a good crop for what our list needs with a few ground level types make or break in 2022 (Brown x2 and Chugg), the guys we cut post 2021 (Sier, Rantall, JT, Greenwood and Mayne) and a couple reaching the end (Steele and Pendles). I think next year is a best available weighted towards height and perhaps small forwards or mid sized defenders the only “needs”.

We only ever held GC’s 4th. It was Brisbane’s 3rd we moved.
I guess on balance of probability Brisbane are just as likely as the Dogs to finish high next year so that’s not so bad.

I’d have liked it too, considering the type we went with, but like a move to get Bazzo (if we were keen) it may have been cost prohibitive.

I think it would have been worth it.

We will likely only get a second rounder for those 2-3 third rounders next year anyway.

There was every chance we had Taylor and Draper rated in the second round this year. So in my mind it would have just been cashing them in a year early.

Anyway the draft is a crapshoot, and in the end we did pretty well with a rubbish hand.

So your solution to the imbalance in the list, where most of our talls are NQR speculative rookies, mid season draftees and late rounders, is to recruit even more speculative rookies and late rounders?

Do we need 10 players under 182cm? Having some smalls is good but not at the expense of key position stocks

And do we want to have to gamble on Roughead and Howe staying fit til their 34 cause we haven’t developed enough defenders?

The Richmond approach has led to them having no KPP depth and having to load up on talls

I find it amusing that some people have lost their sh!t because we gave up a future 3rd rounder(likely 50 plus) so we could move up 2 spots and snare Draper. I can only assume those people have never negotiated a thing in their life. Clearly we rate the kid and knew he’d be gone if we didn’t do the trade. The cats aren’t going to give us the pick out if good will. We needed to give up something that would get it done(and it’s only 50plus next year)

I really think people get to caught up in the number. It’s player you take with that number thAts important. Time will tell but clearly our people rated him much higher than 45
Draper is a massive win at 45, if we had of traded the pick and got him at 30 everyone would be ecstatic, same result different journey.

It doesn't matter at this point how we got him on the list, what matters now is his development and what he becomes. Hopefully a top 25 talent we picked up for a bargain.

I'm excited about the kid, if we can settle him into the right role and some consistency, he has as good a chance as any.

I find it amusing that some people have lost their sh!t because we gave up a future 3rd rounder(likely 50 plus) so we could move up 2 spots and snare Draper. I can only assume those people have never negotiated a thing in their life. Clearly we rate the kid and knew he’d be gone if we didn’t do the trade. The cats aren’t going to give us the pick out if good will. We needed to give up something that would get it done(and it’s only 50plus next year)

I really think people get to caught up in the number. It’s player you take with that number thAts important. Time will tell but clearly our people rated him much higher than 45
I don’t know if Draper will make it but that’s exactly the type of move those banked picks should be used for
See a player you rate in the teens/20s slide and grab them
It’s a very cheap price to pay for a rated player

He's been rated as high as top 10 this year, so he's a good pickup. Plus we beat the bummers to him.

Not really just like the smart amongst us they know how to manage a list and will look to invest tall when we have the right currency.

How are we going to replace fullback, find a quality full forward and intercepting defenders with only 1 1st rd pick a year? Wanting the rebuild to take 6-8 years?

Your dogged insistence on only seeking KPP from top 20 picks comes undone in several ways

- only 1 first rd pick a year to spend

- 1st rd KPP are regularly busts like Boyd, MCCartin, Patton, Schache, Brander (you claim), etc etc

- Collingwoods recent KPP success stories have 90% been late picks or recycled players like Dunn, Roughead, Mihocek, Cameron etc.

But your the self proclaimed ‘smart amongst us’ lol

I enjoyed listening to Shifter over the two nights on Foxtel. He was effusive about all the draftees, although he struggled a bit with some in the late 40s and 50s. Pretty much admitted he’d only seen some boys play one game, or just footage. The covid impact again.

But one thing kept coming through - some of these kids were picked off their form of two years ago, with limited exposure since then. And conversely, some kids only came into contention in 2021. That really does make the selections after round 1 a raffle.
We’ve brought a lot of kids into our club from two very compromised drafts. It could be absolutely disastrous long term. Or it could go the other way. Terrifying and exciting at the same time!

That might mean we see more Mature Age Draftees in the Future when Footy can get to something close to Normal again

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How are we going to replace fullback, find a quality full forward and intercepting defenders with only 1 1st rd pick a year? Wanting the rebuild to take 6-8 years?

Your dogged insistence on only seeking KPP from top 20 picks comes undone in several ways

- 1st rd KPP are regularly busts like Boyd, MCCartin, Patton, Schache, Brander (you claim), etc etc

- Collingwoods recent KPP success stories have 90% been late picks or recycled players like Dunn, Roughead, Mihocek, Cameron etc.

It’s called a process. You can’t fill all your holes in one year because that leads you to picking the wrong guys. I’m not saying this is the path the club chooses, but we could potentially fill all your holes in the space of 20 picks next year (let JDG walk and trade into the top 25) when we’ll have access to the right assets. I think by now everyone knows the comparative odds of a KPP player drafted early v late is heavily stacked in favour of the early draftee?

I also have no idea what relevance a bunch of guys draft 5+ drafts ago and to different clubs has to us in 2021? It’s akin to saying that Collingwood can win the premiership in 2022 because the Tiges did in 2017 after a dip.

FWIW I’m not proclaiming to be “the” smart amongst us only that anyone that identified tall was the wrong path in this draft is. Ultimately the club are smarter than you or I and you’ll get your talls it just wasn’t your year 👍

Speed and disposal seems to wrap it up - as for versatility, that could be as much the laziness/ineptness of the research as anything else.

In any case it's good to know both speed and disposal needs which have lingered for far too long have been acknowledged and are being acted upon.

Finally the over all plan seems to be strong at the contest and fast breaks from winning the contest.

No more *****' sit back and wait for your team mates to get covered before passing sideways/backwards or to a player heavily marked.

Also they have good Clearances Numbers and that something we Struggled with this Year

We went into the trade and draft period with ..

Max Lynch

2021 Pick 21ish
2021 Pick 39ish
2021 Pick 57ish
2021 Pick 75ish

2022 CFC first round
2022 CFC second round
2022 CFC third round
2022 CFC fourth round

We came out of the trade and draft period with …

Patrick Lipinski
Nathan Krueger

2021 Pick 4 Nick Daicos
2021 Pick 45 Arlo Draper
2021 Pick 49 Cooper Murley
2021 Pick 52 Harvey Harrison

2022 CFC first round
2022 Hawks third round
2022 Richmond third round
2022 Western Bulldogs third round

… that all seems like a good outcome?

Yeah we did pretty well overall, even if some of the component trades along the way were a bit of a head-scratcher.

Yikes, port traded up for no reason.

Haha you believed that rubbish? This line was the giveaway.

We had Hobbs rated at seven in the draft and I think Sinn a little bit later.

He knows damn well where Sinn was on their board and this is only to pump up Hobbs. Don’t get me wrong Hobbs was a good get for them, but Port knew what they were doing.

I think it was because people were expecting all of those 3rds to be traded to Lions or Ess next year for their first rounder to cover points.

Basically having us on the receiving end of those deals for once.

This now dramatically weakens our hand and likely will at best be looking to move them up the order.
I'm not one way or the other on it, you would think they are much more informed on the options so we should trust the move.
Whether it was right or wrong will be in how well Arlo comes on, certainly has a lot of quality features about his profile.

Last edited:

Intresting we seen in the Past won't Pick a Tall Late in National Draft but has Picked a Few in Rookie Draft.

Must Feel taking them Late is a Huge Risk

Updated, thanks sr36

We went into the trade and draft period with ..

Max Lynch

2021 Pick 34
2021 Pick 39
2021 Pick 41
2021 Pick 45

2022 CFC first round
2022 CFC second round
2022 CFC third round
2022 CFC fourth round

We came out of the trade and draft period with …

Patrick Lipinski
Nathan Krueger

2021 Pick 4 Nick Daicos
2021 Pick 45 Arlo Draper
2021 Pick 49 Cooper Murley
2021 Pick 52 Harvey Harrison

2022 CFC first round
2022 Hawks third round
2022 Richmond third round
2022 Western Bulldogs third round

… that all seems like a good outcome?

It is a tad strange that its well known we lack KP talls yet we recruit 4 players under 185 cm - anyway we will see.
The ones we would have been interested in were all gone by our first post-Daicos pick. No point picking someone just because he's tall. We may address that in the rookie draft. And Kreuger is a tall.

I wish we hadn't committed to redrafting Chugg today.

I suspect we'll use our first rookie draft pick hopefully on a KPP prospect anyway but having two list spots up our sleeve would have been handy.

I think it was because people were expecting all of those 3rds to be traded to Lions or Ess next year for their first rounder to cover points.

Personally I don’t think getting a first rounder for those later picks was ever realistically a chance.

I know those clubs need points, but that can surely be obtained when you’ve got a full draft hand by trading down later picks and trading in post first round future picks.

At least that would be the smarter move.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back