List Mgmt. 2021 Draft Picks part deux: 4/33/75

Pick4…

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Vader thoughts? You have told me a few times that we definitely wont upgrade Keays this year.
Yep, surprised me with that move. I was sure it would be Butts getting the upgrade.

It means that we definitely need to upgrade Butts and Strachan next year, as they will be hitting the maximum rookie list tenure (even after the AFL extended it). That's something for people to keep in mind, when the 2022 list management thread kicks off.

On SM-T510 using BigFooty.com mobile app

No you don’t know that
We also don’t know if any of the guys taken at or beyond one of our picks will even become that big bodied mid we crave

It’s all hypotheticals. Reality is, Hamish took the players at the top of his talent list, that’s good enough for me right now

Look don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against any of the players and hope they all make it, it’s just the mix.

I posted last night that maybe we aren’t planning on playing traditional small forwards, instead we’d have our mosquito fleet of mids all rotate through there, which if that’s the plan is at least a plan and I think is a good one. Rather than a small forward being buried up there and having quiet games, you’ve got mids all contributing when on the ball and taking their chances when rotated up forward. Looks like they can all kick a goal except for Berry, but he provides more defensive pressure.

If this is the strategy, Rowe and Murphy’s days are numbered.

We also don’t know if any of the guys taken at or beyond one of our picks will even become that big bodied mid we crave

It’s all hypotheticals. Reality is, Hamish took the players at the top of his talent list, that’s good enough for me right now
When does it become time for a change? How long does Hamish’s philosophies dictate our fortunes?

Look don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against any of the players and hope they all make it, it’s just the mix.

I posted last night that maybe we aren’t planning on playing traditional small forwards, instead we’d have our mosquito fleet of mids all rotate through there, which if that’s the plan is at least a plan and I think is a good one. Rather than a small forward being buried up there and having quiet games, you’ve got mids all contributing when on the ball and taking their chances when rotated up forward. Looks like they can all kick a goal except for Berry, but he provides more defensive pressure.

If this is the strategy, Rowe and Murphy’s days are numbered.
Rowe, yes. Murphy, not so much. We saw him spending a lot more time up the field in 2021, a trend which I expect to continue in 2022.

I'd also add McAdam to the list of players who should be looking worriedly over their shoulders.

As said above, Draper is unproven and I feel a bit too much like Cook (who has show plenty and is a player to get very excited by). Cook has blocked Draper IMO. As for Roberts, I like him a lot but he has a real Mitch Grigg vibe about him....once bitten. The two midfielders look fantastic to me, despite the size, if you are Lachie Neale like, we forgive the size. Also how tall is the Darwin kid for Lions that went to PAC and is a damn gun?

I wouldn't have been against another Cook like prospect, especially considering that Cook is likely well rounded/talented enough that we can push him towards being an onballer in a couple of years.

Rowe, yes. Murphy, not so much. We saw him spending a lot more time up the field in 2021, a trend which I expect to continue in 2022.

I'd also add McAdam to the list of players who should be looking worriedly over their shoulders.

He has, but we hope these mids we recruited end up better than Murphy.

Im not a big Murph fan but his pace and hardness at the contest provided a nice point of difference when he pinch hit in the middle last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rowe has far more midfield craft than Murphy

Yeah that’s the thing. Apart from Draper, who’s not even really proven as a mid yet, and Howes, who still needs to develop his contested game, I can’t really think of which ‘big bodied’ midfielder was available to us

Ned Long, but he’s still gonna be available to us in the RD if we want him. Tunstill at 185cm maybe? Other than that, trying to trade up would’ve been the other option, and it sounds like that wasn’t possible
Ned Long - fingers crossed. Tunstall went to Brisbane last night I think.

Can anyone confirm when the rookie selections will be announced and who is our best option at this point

So with pick 4 in the RD, we would be a very good chance to get someone like long or nankervis. So i expect we will grab neither of these boys :)
I wouldn't expect that at all. If there is one thing we should learn year after year, it's that Haggis and co pay ZERO attention to the group thinking that mock drafts tend to show. It is just as likely we will draft one or two guys that none of us have ever heard of.

I think what many (and including us) are forgetting is that you have to look at the draft/trade period as a whole, because the trade can impact on what draft picks you have (as ours did). Fremantle for instance look to have done great, but they also lost a gun young mid. It balances out a bit.

For us, we picked up an elite player who can win games, a proven tall midfielder/wing with an elite kick, a hard working mid that our recruiters all rated highly, and an agile and elusive small forward who can also play midfield.

On the whole, it's a pretty good outcome and I doubt many have done better.

Back