Review 2021 AFL Draft Live Chat

Remove this Banner Ad

The entire draft coverage is just awful.

There's limitations given we don't have a lot of high quality footage nor a big budget but Twomey has come on leaps and bounds in recent years. If you set him up with a decent partner to bounce things off you could get good tv.

The draft also needs a designated host. You can't go Sarah Jones one night then Tom Morris the next.

And then it needs to interview players with someone engaging and well briefed.

They are young kids with limited media exposure so the coverage can't be too critical, but that doesn't mean it can't be well run.

Why was sonsie 'allowed' to play vfl yet others don't?

Ward. Rachele etc. (As far as I know)
Goater and Taylor played for Essendon VFL. I'd guess those high-pick Victorians who didn't had private school footy commitments. Daicos played VFL pre-season but not in-season for example.

Answering the above query about rookie list numbers is a post elsewhere by Miguel Sanchez

Cheers. Here's my numbers. Anyone spot any errors, let me know.

Adelaide: 40: 35 seniors plus 5 Cat A rookies (Butts, Keays, Murray, Parnell, Strachan), plus 2 Cat B rookies (Borlase, Newchurch). Need 1 senior plus can take 1 rookie
Brisbane: 41: 38 seniors plus 3 Cat A rookies (Lane, Madden, Mathieson), plus 2 Cat B rookies (Michael, Uosis). Will use last spot to redraft CEY
Carlton: 40: 36 seniors plus 4 Cat A rookies (Boyd, McDonald, Mirkov, Parks), plus 1 Cat B rookie (Owies). Will use last two spots to redraft Cottrell and O'Brien
Collingwood: 42: 36 seniors plus 6 Cat A rookies (Begg, Chugg, Ginnivan, Johnson, Keane, Noble), plus 2 Cat B rookies (Faye, Wilson). Maxed out
Essendon: 39: 35 seniors plus 4 Cat A rookies (Baldwin, Durham, Snelling, Waterman), plus 2 Cat B rookies (Hird, McBride). Need 1 senior plus can take 2 rookies after that
Fremantle: 39: 36 seniors plus 3 Cat A rookies (Banfield, Schultz, Treacy), plus 1 Cat B rookie (Kelm). Will redraft Crowden and Blakely, can take 1 more.
Geelong: 40: 38 seniors plus 2 Cat A rookies (Atkins, Close), plus 2 Cat B rookis (Mullin, Tsapatolis). Can take 2 rookies
Gold Coast: 44: 37 seniors plus 7 rookies. I believe they're allowed 49 max so can take 5 picks, two of which will be redrafting Thompson and McLennan.
GWS Giants: 42: 36 seniors plus 4 Cat A rookies (Lloyd, Peatling, Sproule, Stein), plus 2 Cat B rookies (Brown, Shaw). Will redraft Wehr, can take 1 more.
Hawthorn: 40: 34 seniors plus 6 Cat A rookies (Bramble, Callow, Jeka, Moore, Newcombe, Saunders), plus 1 Cat B rookie (O'Hara) . Need 2 seniors.
Melbourne: 41: 36 seniors plus 5 Cat A rookies (Brown, Chandler, Daw, Smith, Turner). Can take 1 more.
North Melbourne: 40: 37 seniors plus 3 Cat A rookies (Edwards, Hayden, P.Walker), plus 1 Cat B rookie (McGuinness). Will redraft Polec, can take 1 more.
Port Adelaide: 40: 37 seniors plus 3 Cat A rookies (McEntee, Pasini, Schofield). Will redraft Mayes, can take 1 more.
Richmond: 41: 35 seniors (including Cumberland) plus 6 Cat A rookies (Aarts, Mansell, Miller, Parker, Pickett, Stack), plus 1 Cat B rookie (Colina). Have to elevate one of those 6, then redraft Nyuon. That's them maxed out.
St Kilda: 40: 36 seniors plus 4 Cat A rookies (Heath, Joyce, Sherman, Wood). Can take 2 more.
Sydney: 40: 36 seniors plus 4 Cat A rookies (Fox, McAndrew, McLean, Wicks), plus 2 Cat B rookies (O'Connor, Sheather). Can take 2 more.
West Coast:41: 38 seniors plus 3 Cat A rookies (Jones, Trew, West). Can take 1 more. Also I'm assuming Jarrod Cameron's delisted but the club's never announced it.
Bulldogs: 40: 35 seniors plus 5 Cat A rookies (Gardner, McNeil, Scott, R.Smith, Sweet), plus 1 Cat B rookie (Khamis). Need 1 senior and can take 1 rookie after that.

So any u18s are allowed to play vfl?

How do they choose the club. Location I assume ?
NAB League teams are aligned to VFL teams (e.g. Calder to Essendon, Eastern to Box Hill). VFL clubs have a development list and game-day 23rd man that are generally over-agers from the aligned junior team: https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...s/news-story/f614878d5c6f96d36e7ba25506b176ec

Only the best top-agers (and club-aligned academy/FS prospects) seem to get a gig though, training and potentially playing with the VFL side during the NAB League break.

Is there a list anywhere of the final rookie elevations for each club after the draft? Obviously geelong arent elevating any after taking 5 picks but my calcs are essendon have to elevate someone unless they take a PSD pick as they only have 35 on the senior list-is that right?

see the post 2 above

Who is everyone's pick to win The Rising Star next year?? JHF the obvious pick, has Daicos missed too much footy with lockdowns to play early, pies might protect him.. Darcy will need to develop like JUH did,.. Who are the smokies that are likely to play 18+ games..
I’d say the same thing that happened this year will happen next year. Plenty of 20-21yos getting noms. Mcdonald JUH
Who is everyone's pick to win The Rising Star next year?? JHF the obvious pick, has Daicos missed too much footy with lockdowns to play early, pies might protect him.. Darcy will need to develop like JUH did,.. Who are the smokies that are likely to play 18+ games..
plenty of 20-21 yos will take a lot of the noms like this year. JUH, mcdonald, Hollands, Campbell, Reid. Stephens and de koning from ‘19

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesn't he have a significant injury?

No. Just a cheekbone fracture late in the season. He is spending the rest of the year in Perth with the rest of our WA boys and will be ready for Pre Season match sims.

Wouldn't expect him to play all matches though, as we are letting him take his time to develop and won't rush him

I’d say the same thing that happened this year will happen next year. Plenty of 20-21yos getting noms. Mcdonald JUH

plenty of 20-21 yos will take a lot of the noms like this year. JUH, mcdonald, Hollands, Campbell, Reid. Stephens and de koning from ‘19

Brodie Kemp still eligible, would expect him to start in the side round 1 and looks a player.. Still reckon they are reluctant to give it to a 3rd year player.

Brodie Kemp still eligible, would expect him to start in the side round 1 and looks a player.. Still reckon they are reluctant to give it to a 2rd year player.

Absolute jet be interesting to see where he plays

Credit to ABC AFL for the following:

By contrast, the draft was notable for its lack of talent from above the Barassi Line. This was the first draft since 2017 in which no player from outside Victoria, South Australia and Western Australia was chosen in the top 20.
Only one player from NSW/ACT was selected at the draft, GWS Academy member Josh Fahey. There was also one Tasmanian (Sam Banks) chosen at the draft, while the Suns prelisted Bodhi Uwland and Sandy Brock from Queensland and the NT respectively.

NAB League teams are aligned to VFL teams (e.g. Calder to Essendon, Eastern to Box Hill). VFL clubs have a development list and game-day 23rd man that are generally over-agers from the aligned junior team: https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...s/news-story/f614878d5c6f96d36e7ba25506b176ec

Only the best top-agers (and club-aligned academy/FS prospects) seem to get a gig though, training and potentially playing with the VFL side during the NAB League break.
Bingo.
FWIW Raak (Bulldogs NGA overager) played a couple of games for Footscray VFL this season

Yeah, was surprised he wasn’t picked up. Thought Carlton would have had a crack with Jones disappearing at least.

With just the one selection we weren't going to deviate from what we identified as our number one need.

We'll most likely look to replace Jones via the SSP some time between now and the start of next season, and I'd expect Dean to be one of the options we look at if he's not taken in the rookie draft this afternoon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back