Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Connor MacDonald! Extended to 2025!

Remove this Banner Ad

MacDonald is more athletic than most of your uys are giving him credit for. His burst speed is just about as elite as they come, and he has the tank to keep at it in the guts all game. Its his speed and strength that maks him a great pick, his biggest weakness is kicking which can be worked on, especially with the dedication he has shown.

He looks more contested than ward. More like Trent Cotchin in the way he plays, or at least played at the same age. Capable on the outside and kicks goals.

I agree. Kid just looks hard, he's not considering where it's safe to go and how to position his body to safely navigate anything.
Sees ball gets ball, then quick to look to do something with it.
Contested/first use has been our weakness for some time, I like that were throwing a tonne of young quality at the area around the ball and allowing the best to simply take the spot for themselves.

MacDonald is more athletic than most of your uys are giving him credit for. His burst speed is just about as elite as they come, and he has the tank to keep at it in the guts all game. Its his speed and strength that maks him a great pick, his biggest weakness is kicking which can be worked on, especially with the dedication he has shown.

Sounds like Patrick Dangerfield

Cut up his game for Country vs Metro.
Along with Hobbs, was pretty good in a well beaten side.
Very noticeable that things went downhill in the midfield for Country each time McDonald was given a rest (ie. others were given a go).

Smooth mover - good stoppage skills - just needs to tidy up his kicking (action itself doesn't look too bad to my eyes).
Also suspect Connor is going to be very receptive to Sam's mantra about being 'tough, hard and physical.'

Cut up his game for Country vs Metro.
Along with Hobbs, was pretty good in a well beaten side.
Very noticeable that things went downhill in the midfield for Country each time McDonald was given a rest (ie. others were given a go).

Smooth mover - good stoppage skills - just needs to tidy up his kicking (action itself doesn't look too bad to my eyes).
Also suspect Connor is going to be very receptive to Sam's mantra about being 'tough, hard and physical.'

I’d never noticed the quick hands at the 40 second mark, while off the ground.

sometimes his hands are almost too quick for his own good.

That's what stood out for me in that highlight tape. Takes first option and takes it quickly. Decision making with kicking needs work but his technique looks good. Pumped with this pick. Reckon he'll be a jet

Ward has super quick hands as well, and Tom Mitchell looks like he's wearing Richmond colours the way he flings it out so fast at times.
I would love for us to improve that part of our game, collectively.
As much as our field kicking has declined with the departure of the golden generation, I think our ball-handling and quick hands have fared even worse.

I've watched that Sydney GF over and over, and our sure, quick hands meant the supposedly best pressure team in the comp could barely lay a glove on us.
Hope it's a priority for Sam, who himself was slicker than slick.

ezgif-3-18d4c6c50acf.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ward has super quick hands as well, and Tom Mitchell looks like he's wearing Richmond colours the way he flings it out so fast at times.
I would love for us to improve that part of our game, collectively.
As much as our field kicking has declined with the departure of the golden generation, I think our ball-handling and quick hands have fared even worse.

I've watched that Sydney GF over and over, and our sure, quick hands meant the supposedly best pressure team in the comp could barely lay a glove on us.
Hope it's a priority for Sam, who himself was slicker than slick.

View attachment 1288075
One of the greatest midfielder's of his generation!! With other Alpha mids like Hodge, Lewis and Burgoyne in support, no wonder we're a hard lot to please when it comes to inside midfielders.
Super excited to see what MacDonald/Ward/maginness/Worpel can do for us in years to come!!

In thinking of a comparison in terms of style but not quality. I see him having a similar style to James Cousins. Just way more powerful. Better accumulation. Better tackling and better endurance. Also better kicking but it is similarly a relative weakness atm.

In thinking of a comparison in terms of style but not quality. I see him having a similar style to James Cousins. Just way more powerful. Better accumulation. Better tackling and better endurance. Also better kicking but it is similarly a relative weakness atm.
As a Cousins lover, i disagree. He's better at just about everything. Kicking miles ahead.

Maybe we should have used pick 26 on Cousins. Oops.
If the only thing that stopped you being a pro footballer was your s**t kicking you would think you would work on it, the difference it would make to your lifestyle and money would be massive

So, nothing like cousins then?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back