Review 2021 AFL National Draft (Part 2) | NM - JHF, GOAT, PCurtis, MBergman, JArcher

Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yep let’s not watch any highlights and just blindly agree
This might surprise you but the club doesn’t always make the right decision regardless of how much extra footage they have seen

Both good points.

It’s not as fun as going off along the way, but it’s certainly best to look at the period in totality.

I never do this mind, I focus on extraction along the way and also feel we have left a bit out there despite doing well.

Jason, Michael Walters Clone and a couple of back flankers with wheels and good disposal is pretty much what we need.

Curtis looks a bargain, I love him.
Jason is next level
Goater looks like a Birchall type
Archer will keep everyone honest.

Not taking Draper or Bazzo was weird, but clearly we have someone lined up next year or indeed a FA in Moore!?

In any case, who gives a *, our midfield is beyond.

Other parts of the system need to be re-examined, too, with the bidding system and the need for clubs to accumulate points to match bids bordering on a farce.

I absolutely and vehemently disagree.

I think the points system is an area the AFL have actually almost got right.

The exclusion for bid matching NGA from the first round has diluted it less. I would extend this to also include the northern academies over time. Sydney and Brisbane immediately and GC and GWS limited until such time has passed that F/S can be a thing for them.

Then the draft would have a first round that is almost *wait for it* fair. Where the only bid matching that can happen is for F/S selection which is unique and should be absolutely protected.

Beyond the first round bid matching allows still for enough incentive to train kids through the academies.

B4Bear

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Both good points.

It’s not as fun as going off along the way, but it’s certainly best to look at the period in totality.

I never do this mind, I focus on extraction along the way and also feel we have left a bit out there despite doing well.

Jason, Michael Walters Clone and a couple of back flankers with wheels and good disposal is pretty much what we need.

Curtis looks a bargain, I love him.
Jason is next level
Goater looks like a Birchall type
Archer will keep everyone honest.

Not taking Draper or Bazzo was weird, but clearly we have someone lined up next year or indeed a FA in Moore!?

In any case, who gives a fu**, our midfield is beyond.

Absolutely spot on there. I look at it from where were we at the final siren of the final game until the first siren of the first game.

Too easy to pick on any individual draft, trade or transaction and be critical.

Big picture counts here.

Mjs94

Club Legend
Apr 24, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This might surprise you but the club doesn’t always make the right decision regardless of how much extra footage they have seen
You are right, but just because Fox Footy had Draper top 15, 20 or 25 doesn't necessarily mean he was. The fact is he went at 45 and a lot of teams, not just us passed on him.

JarOfConfidence

Team Captain
Feb 9, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You really are a miserable bastard aren't you?

On the greatest day of these kids' lives you are all over them like a pit bull on a poodle. Attacking them and belittling them before they have even pulled a boot on for the club.

Attacking Mahoney not enough for you now? Have to go after 17 year olds to prove your worth?
Whoa. Thought we were on a forum which encouraged opinion.

Mar 16, 2001
Melbourne VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wales, Eastwood, West Ham
Whoa. Thought we were on a forum which encouraged opinion.
And you just read one. I don’t like to “play the man” but if someone does it in response to a poster who is also being personal, it seems reasonable.

Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Jason, Edwards, Curtis, Goater, CCJ, Greenwood and Archer is a terrific haul and we have managed to hold onto our pick 1 next year.

Harvey next year, plus our first pick on the Harris Andres Clone.

And I’m quite bullish about the new sponsorship we picked up, some forensic accountants, Miles Bergman & associates.

Cunners back healthy, Thomas to sign a long term Contract and Perez to get on the park are all that counts next year, I can see us being more than a handful and spending enormous amounts of games where the opposition simply cannot touch the ball - whether that translates to wins or not is basically irrelevant.

We’ll be good by 2023, we have crossed the talent divide.

Mar 16, 2001
Melbourne VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wales, Eastwood, West Ham
Whats Mahony?
A small midfielder being eased into senior footy on the forward line because he brings pressure and is smart and skilled. I don’t think anyone would say he’s a natural forward, as Curtis seems to be.

You are right, but just because Fox Footy had Draper top 15, 20 or 25 doesn't necessarily mean he was. The fact is he went at 45 and a lot of teams, not just us passed on him.
From some close accounts, Draper is a complete dick head. Could well have come through in the club interviews.

sutcliffe's hotel

Premium Platinum
Oct 30, 2005
Brisbanistan
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Thanks Psicosis. Do yourself a favour and listen to this, so many gems from Nobes.

Listening to Nobes tell the story about letting young Archer know he was going to be a Shinboner is another tear-jerker.

Flag No.5 is going to be extra special.

Back