Bloods86

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 7, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Adelaide United, Everton, Socceroos
Every draft is 'essential'. National, rookie, pre season etc. Every pick is an opportunity to pick up an All Australian captain.
Kinnear said in Twomey interview, our list needs are midfielders, KPP's (at both ends), running players. That pretty much covers every position - He doesn't give much away.
Kinnear also said there will be no 'quality' KPPs at our selection and that this draft is weak for KPPs.
This year we picked up a 209cm 20yo ruckman; a 203cm 23yo forward ruck and will pick up a 195cm 25yo KPP (who was a former no. 1 draft pick). It seems that our recruiting staff have significantly added to our tall stocks.
To draft the players the Swans did suggests there is a long term plan that we are not privy to (and despite some of us highly rating our own expertise), we dont understand.
Ill enjoy watching the draftees develop. Enjoy asking questions and try and work out the inner workings of Swans list management, which I may never find out the answers.. basically, sit back and enjoy the ride.
Obviously not privy to inside knowledge, but if the club had come out and selected 2 KPDs, a half back and a small forward, I am very skeptical that some people would be like "oh well the club must have a plan". Actually it'd be mixed I think, because you'd have people howling about picking KPDs when Paddy and Reid are the long term solutions there (haha) and others would probably just nod along because the club never makes mistakes.

momentbymoment

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2014
Noosa
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool
Obviously not privy to inside knowledge, but if the club had come out and selected 2 KPDs, a half back and a small forward, I am very skeptical that some people would be like "oh well the club must have a plan". Actually it'd be mixed I think, because you'd have people howling about picking KPDs when Paddy and Reid are the long term solutions there (haha) and others would probably just nod along because the club never makes mistakes.
And this ladies and gentlemen is why it’s called a ‘forum’.

ShireSwan

Club Legend
Suspended
Sep 4, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
Puncher is 193 and 84kg KPD. Does that count?
Is that a person? Honestly, that is no good to us. May as well let him put on 10 kgs somewhere else and if he's any good by then we can look at him.
If his birthday is late in the year maybe there's some hope for him, but if it's earlier & you can't get your wheight up to 89 by the end of high school at 193 cm, you're either not trying, or you don't have the frame for it.

Last edited:
Enjoyed reading this ABC report on the draft by Cody Atkinson and Sean Lawson.
the two nights of the AFL draft seem like they last forever.
But for many, the wait was excruciating. For those chosen, the eventual ecstasy was joyous to see.

By contrast, the draft was notable for its lack of talent from above the Barassi Line. This was the first draft since 2017 in which no player from outside Victoria, South Australia and Western Australia was chosen in the top 20.
Only one player from NSW/ACT was selected at the draft, GWS Academy member Josh Fahey. There was also one Tasmanian (Sam Banks) chosen at the draft, while the Suns prelisted Bodhi Uwland and Sandy Brock from Queensland and the NT respectively.

has Sheldrick as a bolter anything from 37 down

Bloods_sucker

Debutant
Dec 10, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Sheldrick and Roberts I think are brilliant picks. Both seemed to get a lot of huge rapts from other clubs fans. Both get a lot of the ball and are real competitors.

Warner I was always hoping we would pickup. I think he's the most likely to play next year because our wing is a little thin and he fits the bill.

Rankin I never heard of before but feels like that small defender a few were saying we needed!

Overall feels like a Dalrymple special. Grab the midfielders and a lot of them.
I'll remember this draft as the 'clean hands draft' after Dalrymple's comments in his interview before the draft. Ironically, you could say our draft haul has had Dalrymple's hands all over it....

Dubsforsam1

Team Captain
Apr 5, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
Well the draft gives us the increased midfield depth to allow Parker/Kennedy to play more forward and means Heeney isn't required to play as much midfield time.
It also gives more cover for injuries and to rest players.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WhippingCupcakes

Team Captain
Apr 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Consider this:

If we drafted Jude Bolton today, how would you feel? He was a very good all-round mid as a junior, but not the “supreme athlete” that seem to create the most excitement these days.

I suspect the reaction of the board to Bolton, Fosdike, Kirk or Parker being drafted today … would be “meh” (with the odd melt).

But I feel we’ve drafted a group that are going to be genuinely good AFL footballers.

I really, really like this year’s draft crop.

That's the vibe I got from this draft. All kids who are footballers that can play.

If we don’t select Anderson tomorrow in the rookie draft it means we have opted to select another Swans Academy player or not selected any academy player at all.

The only way we get another Cat A rookie list selection is if Sheather wasn’t promoted to the senior list which which means we can’t make a pre draft NSW nomination.

I suspect we have either moved Clarke to the rookie list or left one of McLean/Wicks on the Cat A rookie list.
Shrewd analysis right there

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
ESPN team have totally different view on our Draft.

Players drafted: Angus Sheldrick, Matthew Roberts, Corey Warner, Lachlan Rankin

Grade: A

Rationale: Sydney made a surprise pick at 18 with Sheldrick who is arguably this draft's most competitive and gives the Swans a contested ball winning bull with a burst of speed. Roberts is a one touch player who works hard and is one of this year's most prolific ball winners and accumulators. Warner will team up with his brother Chad. He was taken with Sydney's third selection and is the quicker and better outside player of the two, but not as strong of a contested ball winner. Rankin was a savvy get as a speedy, instinctive small forward who routinely makes something happen with ball in hand.

Oct 1, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
not to be too negative, because it is nice to have the two brothers, but how is Corey from someone who has seen more footage of him?

how is his kicking, because it looks a little erratic from limited footage. Probably the one pick I’m most nervous about, and brothers are a double edged sword in that it’s nice if they’re both quality, but potentially a liability if one isn’t good enough.

Important to remember that being on the Cat A rookie list ain't what it used to be. Fox played all season. It's now a way of reducing the load on the salary cap.
may have missed the point, was having a bit of fun with the bolded statement

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Herald Sun Assessment:

The Swans have boosted their young midfield stocks, taking two West Australian onballers and a South Aussie. Sheldrick bolted into top-30 contention late in the year and fellow Sandgroper Warner is more skilful and effective on the outside than his brother, new teammate Chad Warner. Roberts, who has five senior SANFL games under his belt, has a high footy IQ and does most things really well.

Matt Turner’s verdict: Sydney is building its generation-next midfield. Roberts has the potential to play from the outset. The Swans look to have done well but maybe overlooked a key defensive need.

Bloods86

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 7, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Adelaide United, Everton, Socceroos
One thing I am very happy about is the emphasis on toughness and attitude. I don’t ever want to see a Swans side beaten up again.
If anyone tries to rough up Tom McCartin or one of the Warner brothers, they're probably going to get a chair over the back of the head.

Or in the case of Sheldrick, his mates from the crowd will rush on. Not that he'll need help.

Interesting this year we pick a bunch of relative nobodies and it's "in Dalrymple we trust" and "remember Simon's comment about clean hands".

When Beatson selects a bunch of relative nobodies, we're always reaching and never just going for the obvious talents!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back