List Mgmt. 2021 NAB National AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly - the bemoaning using hindsight is absurd.

But you forget i was one of those who wanted to wait and see and trade it this year. So its not hindsight anyway.

Also I'm neither here nor there on it now tbh what's done is done, just annoying people trying to pass it off as if we didn't trade pick 2 as if we never finished there. When that is the exact outcome of that trade.

They would of had a discussion around the possibility of it happening.
You trade out 3 quality senior guys, your gameplan was struggling to score, we made finals off the back of another team losing, we won a heap of games by very small margins. A coach under the pump looking to double down defensively, and also due to mishandling of trade week rumours of a fractured group and coaching group.

All signs pointed to a drop off, the only question was how far.
Only the perpetually blindly optimistic had us rising like Jmac.

It is quite clear from his drafting history that Derek Hine does not rate key position players. The majority time they are late picks, rookies or speculative international selection. Each of these are long shots to become 100 game+ AFL regulars.

Which is a bit strange given his first he absolutely nailed picking Ben Reid and Nathan Brown, great selections. Both premiership players and great servants to the club for 10 years
Agree with first part. But he also must have had green light from Wrighty. On second part, didn’t nail Brown IMO. Was an average player, and passed on Jack Riewoldt and Frawley for him. Both AA’s.
JR the killer though. Have been crying out for a key forward the whole of his career

So your suggesting only we are dumb enough to do it.
Pick 2 for 20 and 27 etc

Dogs too did a mixture of trade out and trade downs.

Our future 1st was traded for two second round selections that were live picks we used on draft night.

Any suggestion that a Brisbane or Essendon would trade a 1st round selection purely for multiple 3rd round selections to gain points is delusion as they'll be plenty of better offers presented.

Using those 3rd round selections to move up to the second round is a more likely outcome.

Our future 1st was traded for two second round selections that were live picks we used on draft night.

Any suggestion that a Brisbane or Essendon would trade a 1st round selection purely for multiple 3rd round selections to gain points is delusion as they'll be plenty of better offers presented.

Using those 3rd round selections to move up to the second round is a more likely outcome.

They only need the points how they get those points doesn't matter, if we had the required picks that facilitate it then we are an option.
We can trade up as well 3rds into 2nds and on trade to Brisbane...

Our draft hand started at 36 this year and that was traded as soon as they realised they didn't need the points.

Plus, as we have found, you need to have enough vacant list spots to use multiple picks for bid matching. Fewer, higher value picks means less juggling required & less need to delist then redraft or re-rookie, as we have done with Chugg.

Plus, as we have found, you need to have enough vacant list spots to use multiple picks for bid matching. Fewer, higher value picks means less juggling required & less need to delist then redraft or re-rookie, as we have done with Chugg.

Yeah so you are saying only the pies and lesser degree dogs would do it...

We might have used the initial picks (24 and 30) "live" but we then sourced a bunch of 3rds to fill points. It is practically the same thing.

It was a great move IMO.

I really wish we had have managed to do it twice so we could have got both Draper and Taylor. But alas it was not to be.

Murley looks good regardless.

edit: on reflection the missed opportunity was Brisbane’s pick at 41. We really should have slung them a future third round to move our pick 49 up. (Tunstill still would have been there IMO)

Have you considered that we might have tried moving up the order with multiple clubs before finally having success with Geelong?

Personally I'm just stoked that we used one of our 4 future 3rds to move up, gazump Essendon and select a player all the draft gurus rated from a late 1st to early/mid second round selection.

I gotta shake my head and laugh.

When pies do something similar its great trading and "all you can expect", "its a buyers market they know we need points".

Then shoes on other foot, "why would they do that" , "its a sellers market its a first rounder".
Shakes head and continues to chuckle.

Yeah so you are saying only the pies and lesser degree dogs would do it...

We might have used the initial picks (24 and 30) "live" but we then sourced a bunch of 3rds to fill points. It is practically the same thing.
That's not really what I'm saying - it's more about finding the right balance between the points required & the number of list spots that need to be kept open. Brisbane or Essendon might do it next year for their father/sons - it depends on how many points they end up needing. Obviously, you'd prefer not to use a 1st rounder or high 2nd to match a bid, which is why we traded this year's 1st, then on-traded other picks. Our 2022 3rds could still end up with either of those 2 clubs & get us higher in next year's draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have you considered that we might have tried moving up the order with multiple clubs before finally having success with Geelong?

Yeah I did consider that.

Because at least in my opinion Tunstill was very likely still going to be available there, even if they swapped their 41 for our 41.

Maybe they didn’t want to take that risk still, even for a future third… Maybe we didn’t even ask the question... I have no clue.

I gotta shake my head and laugh.

When pies do something similar its great trading and "all you can expect", "its a buyers market they know we need points".

Then shoes on other foot, "why would they do that" " its a sellers market its a first rounder".
Shakes head and continues to chuckle.

Show me an example were a side traded a 1st round selection purely in return for multiple 3rd round selections.

We didn't and neither did the Bulldogs in 2020 when there was no restriction on the number of picks a side could use to match a bid.

Collingwood turning 4 2022 3rd selections into a 1st round selection is the stuff of fantasy.

I'm happy with Daicos, Krueger, Lipinski and the fact that we didn't lose any good players this trade period. If any of the guys we drafted last night become senior players it'll be a bonus, but I'm not counting on it.

But you forget i was one of those who wanted to wait and see and trade it this year. So its not hindsight anyway.

Also I'm neither here nor there on it now tbh what's done is done, just annoying people trying to pass it off as if we didn't trade pick 2 as if we never finished there. When that is the exact outcome of that trade.

They would of had a discussion around the possibility of it happening.
You trade out 3 quality senior guys, your gameplan was struggling to score, we made finals off the back of another team losing, we won a heap of games by very small margins. A coach under the pump looking to double down defensively, and also due to mishandling of trade week rumours of a fractured group and coaching group.

All signs pointed to a drop off, the only question was how far.
Only the perpetually blindly optimistic had us rising like Jmac.
I'm sorry, but how can you say we traded pick 2. We traded what turned out to be pick 2. If we traded pick 2 we would have had to say,"here, we have pick 2 what will you trade for it". We never had pick 2 to trade, only a future first rounder.

edit: on reflection the missed opportunity was Brisbane’s pick at 41. We really should have slung them a future third round to move our pick 49 up. (Tunstill still would have been there IMO)

Would it have changed anything? Wouldn't surprise if we rated Arlo above Taylor. Or it may have resulted in us getting Taylor and missing out on Arlo.

What's all this noise around Jesse Motlop? I thought NGA bids could be matched this year after pick 20?

Any ideas on who may select at the rookie draft. Some talls would be good

Dean, Schlensong, Hammelmann... mature players that have dominated at state level.

But they won’t be picked because they aren’t 18, haven’t been feted about by the footy media and only came second in the wheel barrow race at primary school

Meanwhile where would our list be without initially unfancied types in Cameron, Mihocek, Roughead?

Show me an example were a side traded a 1st round selection purely in return for multiple 3rd round selections.

We didn't and neither did the Bulldogs in 2020 when there was no restriction on the number of picks a side could use to match a bid.

Collingwood turning 4 2022 3rd selections into a 1st round selection is the stuff of fantasy.

They can be used as part or for trades for 2nds and then traded to lions for their pick which likely is in the 16 plus range.

They don't need to be directly moved there. We gave our up for sweet fa there could be another club willing like Brisbane especially since they know what pick they will hold unlike us so they can get better market value.

What do you think pick 16 to 18 is worth? A pick mid to late 20s and 30s?
4 x 3rds could achieve that.
Stop saying first rounder as if its going to be unknown (or low for that matter) they will know as they held the pick.
(see this is why you dont just say "first rounder" as its value varies wildly from pick 5 to pick 15...)

Your delusional if you think otherwise

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back