List Mgmt. National & Rookie Draft 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, thought you might like to have this resource on your board (scuse the intrusion!) – mods might like to sticky it so it's visible at the top of the thread

Mangus

Senior List
Aug 31, 2009
Happy Place
AFL Club
St Kilda
I doubt they will because it won't be fact anymore.

We've replaced a heap of fringe aging players with 18 year olds (a few more to come via rookie spots)

We did need to hit the draft hard this year though as we had so few under 22's on our list it would have become a real problem for the future

Average Age at the start of Season 2021 was 25.4 years of age (This excludes Max Heath and Sharman who were added later)
Average Age at the start of Season 2022 will be 24.7 years of age (Includes Periss and Kyle but obviously not anyone we pick up today in the Rookie Draft)

Mangus

Senior List
Aug 31, 2009
Happy Place
AFL Club
St Kilda
Average Age at the start of Season 2021 was 25.4 years of age (This excludes Max Heath and Sharman who were added later)
Average Age at the start of Season 2022 will be 24.7 years of age (Includes Periss and Kyle but obviously not anyone we pick up today in the Rookie Draft)
Based on last years averages that would only drop us from 2nd oldest to equal 5th oldest and we are up there in terms of average games played as well 71.5 just based on those Stats alone we should be in contention mode but I am not sure we are just yet.

More work to do in filling the pipeline of young talent on the list in my opinion hopefully a couple more today

Mar 19, 2008
Narre Warren North
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams

Age profiles are overused.
There are only around 40 players on a list, and you're better off just looking at the list rather than assuming all players are equal and taking a statistical approach.

If you have 39 sticks , all 50cm long and 1 40cm long, things like the average length are useless information.

Mangus

Senior List
Aug 31, 2009
Happy Place
AFL Club
St Kilda
There are only around 40 players on a list, and you're better off just looking at the list rather than assuming all players are equal and taking a statistical approach.

If you have 39 sticks , all 50cm long and 1 40cm long, things like the average length are useless information.
Yep I agree our actual best 22 is not that old but the 2nd oldest list stat from last year did point out an issue with the list we had neglected the draft for a few years and our pipeline of developing talent was extremely thin. Club clearly recognised this and has gone to the draft this year I think there is more work to do in that respect particularly if we want to optimise Kings peak years.

Half our team these days seems to come from SA so I'm pretty sure NWM will feel pretty comfortable there. Besides, Oscar played for the same club.
Anyway, Adelaide is hardly so far away that he couldn't pop over for a day or so every now and again if needed.

Way to make a mountain out of a molehill, Gerard! :rolleyes:
takes a mole to make a molehill, and yep Gerrard is a mole

well that it, isn't it, our list in bang on prime-age, a couple older, a few younger, there is a cliff 5-6 years away, can we achieve anything before the glut of prime-aged players tumble over.

I'm not sold on being a top 4 side, but I still agree with the direction the club has taken, the alternative wasn't an option

GeTrain

Team Captain
Aug 22, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Saints average age is inflated a bit with picking up aging role players as depth pieces. In my opinion a better way to grasp a teams age profile is to look at the top 10 in the B&F votes

St Kilda Death

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NOLA
Yep I agree our actual best 22 is not that old but the 2nd oldest list stat from last year did point out an issue with the list we had neglected the draft for a few years and our pipeline of developing talent was extremely thin. Club clearly recognised this and has gone to the draft this year I think there is more work to do in that respect particularly if we want to optimise Kings peak years.
I think it reflected bad drafting either side of 2010, the fact we didn’t have our own vets other than gears meant we had to ring in some really old guys.
Core was young, just got younger.
Ryder will still bump up our average age 😂

snails13

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
St Kilda
Interesting that once again he has a dig at the Saints.
Why didn't WC take Matt Johnson over Campbell Chesser,
Why didn't NM take Finn Callaghan over Horne Francis.
And he comments having not even seen them play.
Dear Gerard this Draft is a National thing.
OK Kingy your turn to have some useful comments
Based on Healys go home theory of interstate players 12 of the selected top 20 won't finish at the club that selected them

St Kilda has rebuffed Brownlow Medallist Gerard Healy’s criticism of their draft strategy after ignoring a dashing local defender for silky South Australian Nasiah Milera-Wanganeen.

Healy said St Kilda should have weighed the flight risk of selecting Milera-Wanganeen when they selected him at pick 11 when Vic Metro captain Josh Sinn was available at that pick.

Sinn went to Port Adelaide with the No.12 selection, with 3AW’s Healy asking: “Why would you take a wingman from interstate, with all the issues associated with it, when you have a kid in your own heartland – Josh Sinn – who is captain of Sandringham Dragons, captain of Vic Metro, and still available.

“Both of them, I’m sure, are terrific young players. But it doesn’t seem to me that there is enough between them to create all the issues associated with relocation as opposed to sending a bike to the end of South Road.”

St Kilda list boss James Gallagher made clear the Saints were thrilled Milera-Wanganeen was still available at pick 11 and exactly what the club needed given he was so brilliant by foot.

St Kilda has battled with its finishing polish in recent years so Milera-Wanganeen hitting leading targets laces-out is exactly what Brett Ratten requires.

Gallagher said the club backed in its capacity to keep interstate players despite Healy’s critique.

“He wasn’t too far away, Josh, but geography doesn’t play a big role in our recruiting,” Gallagher said.

“We have got a club that people want to stay at. History has shown if they come to our club they don’t want to leave. Josh is a really talented player. Good kid, he has some upside, but we need to bring in elite talent to our club and we have done it.

“It is best available. We had (Nasiah) inside (pick 11). He is exceptionally talented, he is a beautiful mover, very light on his feet, very comfortably the best kick in the draft. That is something we need. Max King is pretty happy to have him at the club. He is a pretty skinny kid. There is enormous growth in him.”

St Kilda was thrilled to secure a pair of NGA talents in fearless wingman Mitch Owens (pick 33) and mid forward Marcus Windhager after matching bids from rival clubs.

The Saints had been nervous a rival might bid on Owens within the first 20 picks, which under new AFL rules would have meant they would have lost him to that team.

Was he on radio when he said this?

Surprised we even responded but I like a bit of clap-back every now and then.

Mar 19, 2008
Narre Warren North
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams

We were due.
And lacking glaring holes in the list, its pretty much always my preference.
People get too caught up looking at the greener grass on the other side during trade week.

Brad Hill might retire in 2 years.
Kozzy Pickett tracking very nicely, and may well give the Demons another 10 years.

Mar 19, 2008
Narre Warren North
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
We also culled some of the young players aggressively.
Phillips and Doulton could have both been kept on the list for depth, but it seems that the club made a choice that they weren't what the club was looking for long term.
Historically we have held onto those sort of fringe players too long.
( Though the McKenzie theory* says they can come good in the end ).

* Not to be confused with the Australian Progressive band of the 70s.

Ephemeral Hope

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
See How big his old man was in the photo? Reckon he definitely has another 2 or 3 to go. That gets him to josh battles size.
The beauty of late growers is their skills and agility and instincts are those of a midfielder or small forward, rather than those who Grew up tall and lanky and uncoordinated

There is a tiny worry we might have wound up with just a bunch of flankers but honestly Wanganeen-Milera looks an absolute gun (evasive, quick and beauiful skills) then the academy boys we effectively get on the cheap, Adams feels like a bonus.

Really happy overall.
Need Bytel Byrnes and Clark to step up and play inside mid roles to give these boys time and adjust to AFL level and learn their craft on the flanks before moving to full time mids

Steele Crouch Jones need Bytel Byrnes Clark to help out

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Need Bytel Byrnes and Clark to step up and play inside mid roles to give these boys time and adjust to AFL level and learn their craft on the flanks before moving to full time mids

Steele Crouch Jones need Bytel Byrnes Clark to help out
Weve actually got good balance now its probably more that our most dynamic mid is perennially injured. In reality were not likely challenging for a flag in earnest this year or next but the only "hole" in 2-3 years will be ruck depth and we can always trade for that if its a problem. Just need the kids to come on as we would hope and expect.

hangdog

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Wrexham FC,
Here's why Healy's comments were such nonsense...

1. He admitted to never watching NWM or Sinn.
2. He criticised the Saints for taking NWM (SA) but not Port for taking Sinn (Vic).
3. He's well known to be the best outside player in the draft which everyone in the media keeps saying is exactly what we need.
4. His step father played at the Saints and he supported them growing up.
5. We've not lost anyone to "go home" since Cripps to WCE, the over rated gnome.
6. We have taken Wilkie, Highmore and Sharman in the last few seasons from SA with great success.
7. We got his team mate Oscar Adams in the draft too.
8. He's now one of 6 indigenous players on the list (which could become 8 once we rookie list our NGA kids Peris and Kyle)
9. What about Eagles taking Chesser over Johnson? Or North taking Horne-Francis over Callaghan? GWS taking Alleer. Or etc etc etc.
10. Gerard Healy stinks

Weve actually got good balance now its probably more that our most dynamic mid is perennially injured. In reality were not likely challenging for a flag in earnest this year or next but the only "hole" in 2-3 years will be ruck depth and we can always trade for that if its a problem. Just need the kids to come on as we would hope and expect.
My biggest worry is if Howard goes down, it’s a huge hole in the list. Oscar is a couple of years away
Club needs a huge focus on development to give the kids every chance they can

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
My biggest worry is if Howard goes down, it’s a huge hole in the list. Oscar is a couple of years away
Club needs a huge focus on development to give the kids every chance they can
This is true but also pretty much no one has depth to cover Key Backs and Key Forwards.

If he does go down (knock on wood) Wilkie, Highmore, Battle etc do it makeshift.

Same argument if King goes down, number 1 KPPs dont grow on trees, no one can really cover them.

Saintsydney

Senior List
Nov 29, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
See How big his old man was in the photo? Reckon he definitely has another 2 or 3 to go. That gets him to josh battles size.
Whilst I love the optimism and am ready jump on board - did you also see his mum ? he might have over achieved already ( in terms of his height)

hangdog

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Wrexham FC,
This is true but also pretty much no one has depth to cover Key Backs and Key Forwards.

If he does go down (knock on wood) Wilkie, Highmore, Battle etc do it makeshift.

Same argument if King goes down, number 1 KPPs dont grow on trees, no one can really cover them.

We didn't have Howard for a few games at the end of the season. I recall Wilkie giving Buddy a bath in that game. His only goal came from Hill giving a free kick. I feel like injuries to our backline are the easiest to manage, followed by forwards. Remember we had no King at the end of the season either and Sharman decided to GOAT it up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back