Crazy Tails

Premiership Player
Nov 30, 2006
Collingwood Heartland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Is there any other teams?
Freo didn't have the capital in picks to match.

They got 3 very good ones anyway, so I doubt they are too fussed.

Not sure that’s right. I think Motlop fell into some sort of category (metro Perth) that meant a top 40 bid couldn’t be matched in his case.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm sorry, but how can you say we traded pick 2. We traded what turned out to be pick 2. If we traded pick 2 we would have had to say,"here, we have pick 2 what will you trade for it". We never had pick 2 to trade, only a future first rounder.

What was the result of the pick we traded?

Pick 2.

We chose to trade that right to it. We gambled we wouldn't finish that low.

We wait 12 months and that's exactly what we say because that is the pick we hold, here we have pick 2 what's your best offer.

What a cop out! every draft Hine should trade out the first round because then he's never accountable for what draft pick it is because it's only a future first rounder not a pick we had access too but now dont. Unreal.

Just like if we won a flag he'd be getting pats on the back for trading it for pick 19. Equally shitting the bed deserves to be called out.

partypie

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 26, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Green Bay Packers
Another Rookie kpp?
might be better off looking for another Wellingham type instead, ie pace good kick medium sized mid/wing

Rather we wait and load up early next years draft for a spine.

I don't disagree, but I suspect this would more along the lines of a "well it's a free shot to rookie someone for a year and we might get lucky" type of pick up, if it happens at all.

stormskye

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 24, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
“Verdict: It was all about Daicos and has been for some time, with the bid coming at No.4 and allowing the Magpies to still have some handy selections on night two. Daicos comes with huge hype but also huge talent and he should be a round one certainty if he stays fit. Then the Magpies swooped on a couple of sliders – Draper at No.45 and Murley at No.49. The South Australian pair had injury issues through the year but both are talented, with Draper a tall midfielder who can go forward and Murley's skills on show in the midfield. They finished their night with Harrison, a third player out of SA with some speed through the middle. - Callum Twomey

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
“Verdict: It was all about Daicos and has been for some time, with the bid coming at No.4 and allowing the Magpies to still have some handy selections on night two. Daicos comes with huge hype but also huge talent and he should be a round one certainty if he stays fit. Then the Magpies swooped on a couple of sliders – Draper at No.45 and Murley at No.49. The South Australian pair had injury issues through the year but both are talented, with Draper a tall midfielder who can go forward and Murley's skills on show in the midfield. They finished their night with Harrison, a third player out of SA with some speed through the middle. - Callum Twomey

COLLINGWOOD

Picks (at the start of draft): 36, 38, 40, 46, 48, 58

Selections: Nick Daicos (4), Arlo Draper (45), Cooper Murley (49), Harvey Harrison (52)

The fact the Pies only had to match a bid at Pick 4 is a massive win for the Pies, considering many recruiters believe Daicos was the best player in this year’s draft class. He’s more than just a big ball-winner, as he possesses exquisite foot skills, vision, run and footy IQ. Daicos looms as a genuine future AFL star and could even be tagged in his first season. Then the Pies stole two draft sliders on the second night in South Australian duo Draper and Murley. Draper is dangerous in the air and possesses line-breaking speed and agility, while AFL draft guru Kevin Sheehan said Draper had “some exciting attributes and mercurial type of ability”. Murley was a bargain pick-up for the Pies after a frustrating 2021 campaign that was hampered by ankle and collarbone injuries.

Grade: A

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
The 2 players we got through that pick is Poulter and McMahon.
I'm a fan of Poulter and McMahon is ages away from knowing what we have but not sure either are going to be top 2 pick good.

Even G.Wright was peeved we traded it.

Pump the brakes let’s not confuse speculation with factual statements because this can’t be proven.

history will show it was a 1st RD pick for 2 picks in the 20’s.

Hindsight will show it was Pick 2 for 2 picks in the 20’s.

History will also show no one predicted its value was Pick 2 on the day it was traded.
So history will ask if the prevailing view at the time of a 6-10 finish in 2021, and a projected value of pick 9 - 13 was fair for 2 picks in the 20’s.

That’s the fair and unbiased view of how to assess the deal, with information known at the time.

Any other assessment is pure revisionism, or hindsight, that offers no guidance as to future trade strategy.
It just reinforces the inherent uncertainty of trading, in the absence of a crystal ball.
I don’t agree. I can go back to my own posting at the time and that of others who had immediate concerns. It was two edged. Nick D had missed a year of footy and was a significant injury or not realising his potential away from slipping down the order a bit and we, after the drop off in 2020 and crisis of the off season, were a risk of tumbling down the ladder.

The main point at that time was it would seem a wiser course to have held the 2021 1st and trade it prior to or in the draft if it was going to be consumed. It’s not as though the trade was a great one even if the pick ended being in the 6-12 range.

There were quite a few arguing the other side saying we wouldn’t get good value in that situation. As it turns out it ended up being one of the worst case senarios and concerns were justified.

Hopefully Poulter and/or McMahon turn into solid players and mitigate the fall out.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
I don’t agree. I can go back to my own posting at the time and that of others who had immediate concerns. It was two edged. Nick D had missed a year of footy and was a significant injury or not realising his potential away from slipping down the order a bit and we, after the drop off in 2020 and crisis of the off season, were a risk of tumbling down the ladder.

The main point at that time was it would seem a wiser course to have held the 2021 1st and trade it prior to or in the draft if it was going to be consumed. It’s not as though the trade was a great one even if the pick ended being in the 6-12 range.

There were quite a few arguing the other side saying we wouldn’t get good value in that situation. As it turns out it ended up being one of the worst case senarios and concerns were justified.

Hopefully Poulter and/or McMahon turn into solid players and mitigate the fall out.
It all comes down to ladder position and at the time I don't recall ANYONE here definitively stating we would finish 17th.

Lots of rewriting history going on here.

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Pump the brakes let’s not confuse speculation with factual statements because this can’t be proven.

Date Posted: 17:52 24/11/21 Wed
Author: Annabelle
Author Host/IP: NoHost / 185.54.228.74
Subject: Wright on radio said that:

JDG's future is not totally dependent on the outcome of the court case if it goes ahead. Will know more when he speaks to him in person.

Thinks we are two years or so away from competing for top four where he wants us to be.

Expects four or more new players this year and four or five next year.

Implied it was disappointing we no longer have pick two.

Has not spoken at all with Jeff Browne.

Was going off that ^^

Rusty Beam

Premiership Player
Sep 30, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Would it have changed anything? Wouldn't surprise if we rated Arlo above Taylor. Or it may have resulted in us getting Taylor and missing out on Arlo.

I guess it may have meant missing out on Arlo. Logically he would have probably been the next choice for Adelaide if Taylor was off this board.

I’m happy to back Murley in, but ultimately I’m just living in a fantasy land where we picked up Daicos, Taylor and Draper. And it looks very scenic.

Gabbo64

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2012
Bunbury WA
AFL Club
Collingwood
What was the result of the pick we traded?

Pick 2.

We chose to trade that right to it. We gambled we wouldn't finish that low.

We wait 12 months and that's exactly what we say because that is the pick we hold, here we have pick 2 what's your best offer.

What a cop out! every draft Hine should trade out the first round because then he's never accountable for what draft pick it is because it's only a future first rounder not a pick we had access too but now dont. Unreal.

Just like if we won a flag he'd be getting pats on the back for trading it for pick 19. Equally shitting the bed deserves to be called out.
Me...My grandfather sold a mansion now worth $10mil for $20k in 1966
You..My grandfather sold a mansion worth $10mil for $20k .
I think I am right.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
He said as much in an interview recently didn't he?

In that case I could be mistaken, and my apologies if that’s the case, but that definitely doesn’t sound like a GW comment. I’d expect that from a dial a quote like T Shaw not a pro like GW. I’m not exactly buying what you’re selling though on the basis of a random on EB&W…

One further point to all this I think these discussions are a gigantic waste of time, but not only that the hardline opinions are premature. For instance McMahon goes on to be J Kennedy in quality and the club look geniuses…

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
It all comes down to ladder position and at the time I don't recall ANYONE here definitively stating we would finish 17th.

Lots of rewriting history going on here.

They didn't have to state it (a locked finish position) because they DID state they prefer to hold it incase we drop lower then predicted because we were trending down.
We then had flexibility to trade a known commodity.

Crazy Tails

Premiership Player
Nov 30, 2006
Collingwood Heartland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Is there any other teams?
Was hoping that we might have had a post night 2 draft video of Dekka up on the website already.

If for nothing else other than him detailing what the list spots are looking like and how many picks we might be taking in the PSD or rookie draft. Want to know whether or not it is worth tuning in for.

Mollythedolly

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 21, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Your the one changing facts mate.

They traded a unknown first round funny thing is AFL isn't a 1 horse race and the team the year before had already shown signs of drop off.
This unkown pick turned out to be pick 2. They traded pick 2 FACT. Indisputable.

Happy for you to keep your head stuck in the mud and pretend it was traded for something else.

At this stage I dont even really care but don't piss down people's backs and the tell them its raining.

Such a vivid imagination, you really should try your hand at kiddies fiction because it’s what you’re peddling. I’ll leave you to you thin grasp on reality and get back to life in the real world.

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Me...My grandfather sold a mansion now worth $10mil for $20k in 1966
You..My grandfather sold a mansion worth $10mil for $20k .
I think I am right.

No. Apples and oranges to this.

Its more akin to selling that house after being told the price is a good chance to rise in 12 months by 30% but could potentially break even if you sold now at a discounted rate in a down turn.
You then sell it for said discount and 12 months later the market proves true you just sold you 1 million dollar home for 700k.
Bet you wouldn't be proclaiming your house is worth 700k if you had a million dollar loan on it...

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Such a vivid imagination, you really should try your hand at kiddies fiction because it’s what you’re peddling. I’ll leave you to you thin grasp on reality and get back to life in the real world.

You need to put the crack pipe down nuffy, pick 2 is what we lost in that trade, if you and others think other then that you need to re learn basic math and what numbers are.

Last edited:

Gabbo64

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2012
Bunbury WA
AFL Club
Collingwood
No. Apples and oranges to this.

Its more akin to selling that house after being told the price is a good chance to rise in 12 months by 30% but could potentially break even if you sold now at a discounted rate in a down turn.
You then sell it for said discount and 12 months later the market proves true you just sold you 1 million dollar home for 700k.
Bet you wouldn't be proclaiming your house is worth 700k if you had a million dollar loan on it...
No, the future price (or pick number) has no relevance.

Herzog

Team Captain
Nov 19, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Dean, Schlensong, Hammelmann... mature players that have dominated at state level.

But they won’t be picked because they aren’t 18, haven’t been feted about by the footy media and only came second in the wheel barrow race at primary school

Meanwhile where would our list be without initially unfancied types in Cameron, Mihocek, Roughead?
Roughie and Mihocek yes. Cameron not so much.

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
In that case I could be mistaken, and my apologies if that’s the case, but that definitely doesn’t sound like a GW comment. I’d expect that from a dial a quote like T Shaw not a pro like GW. I’m not exactly buying what you’re selling though on the basis of a random on EB&W…

One further point to all this I think these discussions are a gigantic waste of time, but not only that the hardline opinions are premature. For instance McMahon goes on to be J Kennedy in quality and the club look geniuses…

Yes I'm not as upset with it as I seem, more that people are deluded in thinking we didn't lose pick two in that deal.
That it was just a place holder of no relevance to us its mind boggling and I garauntee that if it was Carlton those same people would be shouting from the roof tops that they traded pick 2 for sweet fa.

Yes Poulter and/or McMahon could well make the best of a otherwise bad trade.

Back