List Mgmt. National & Rookie Draft 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, thought you might like to have this resource on your board (scuse the intrusion!) – mods might like to sticky it so it's visible at the top of the thread

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
We didn't have Howard for a few games at the end of the season. I recall Wilkie giving Buddy a bath in that game. His only goal came from Hill giving a free kick. I feel like injuries to our backline are the easiest to manage, followed by forwards. Remember we had no King at the end of the season either and Sharman decided to GOAT it up
Yeh thats kind of my point, no team has a number 1 KPD waiting to play in case of injury. If Harris Andrews goes down the lions dont just substitute him they re jig.

I actually think our general depth and flexibility is a bonus, as has been discussed we dont have a genuine game tunring match winner (not many teams do) and when Patty goes our ruck stocks are bad (but i assume we will be able to trade some stuff for someone by that point).

Apart from the NGA boys which will be Rokied today I would not be surprised if we tried to get another sneaky rookie in with our first pick. I'm thinking that we may want to rookie someone on a 1 year contract only rather than a 2 year main draft contract. A mature body to allow others get some weight on in 2022. Charlie Dean anyone?

Apr 24, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Apart from the NGA boys which will be Rokied today I would not be surprised if we tried to get another sneaky rookie in with our first pick. I'm thinking that we may want to rookie someone on a 1 year contract only rather than a 2 year main draft contract. A mature body to allow others get some weight on in 2022. Charlie Dean anyone?
I think it's more likely we use the supplementary period or mid season draft for that. It will give us a chance to have more of a look at some players who haven't played much over the last couple of seasons.

hangdog

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Wrexham FC,
we're getting dean in the rookie draft right?
I would love it if we did but we might get beaten to it. We'd have to play Battle or Allison as permanent forward if we did though. Can't have Joyce, Adams, Battle, Allison and Dean in the backline of the 2's.

Wish there was some information out there about how many spots clubs have. Eg, North are committed to taking Polec but is that their only pick?

Minga

Club Legend
Mar 23, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
Same argument if King goes down, number 1 KPPs dont grow on trees, no one can really cover them.

Unless your star generational key forward who is arguably the best player in a super draft (Walsh has him atm but let’s see in 10 years time), and has immense talent and insurmountable contested marking skill has an identical twin brother who is similarly skilled and is already a high-riser in the Coleman at a young age.

What an outlandish situation though, I’m sure such a thing could never happen to us…

(Apologies to any GC fans reading this… 😉)

Ephemeral Hope

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
I would love it if we did but we might get beaten to it. We'd have to play Battle or Allison as permanent forward if we did though. Can't have Joyce, Adams, Battle, Allison and Dean in the backline of the 2's.

Wish there was some information out there about how many spots clubs have. Eg, North are committed to taking Polec but is that their only pick?
isn't alison a natural forward anyway

No thanks , not after we just drafted a key back , bringing Dean in will only mean Oscar wont be playing where he should be for Sandy , it will end like years ago when we had four rucks playing at sandy .
Dean looks to me he is going to be a great player at VFL and an average AFL player

My biggest worry is if Howard goes down, it’s a huge hole in the list. Oscar is a couple of years away
Club needs a huge focus on development to give the kids every chance they can

Which club has a better KPP than Joyce outside their normal squad?

hangdog

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Wrexham FC,
isn't alison a natural forward anyway
Yes. In true St Kilda fashion we're playing him anywhere else after getting frustrated by his lack of progress 2 weeks into his pre-season.

OK, slightly over exaggerating but playing blokes out of their drafted position is a St Kilda specialty.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda

Fair chance Allison goes forward IMO.

He was drafted as a key forward and only really went back when he was struggling to get near it.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Which club has a better KPP than Joyce outside their normal squad?
Most good sides have 2 to 3 genuine tall key defenders in their side.

We rely enourmessly on Howard who is our only one that fits that category.

If one goes down for other sides they've already got a player or 2 in their best 22 that can step up and take the role as the number one key defender.

They also seem to have decent depth on top of that. Tomlinson went down for Melbourne and they brought Perry in. When Keith went down for the Dogs they still had Cordy and Gardnerto turn to.

We really can't afford to lose Howard and rely on Joyce as out number one defender

D2D3

Club Legend
May 20, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
From the AFL website (apologies if it has already been posted I havent seen it):

Who they picked: 11. Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera, 33. Mitchito Owens, 47. Marcus Windhager, 51. Oscar Adams

SAINTS' DRAFT HAUL Check out all your club's new players

What the club says:
"We're incredibly pleased to welcome Nasiah, Mitch, Marcus and Oscar to the red, white and black… A silky wingman with precise skills to match, [Nasiah] boasts what is widely considered as the best kick of this year's draft class. Mitch is a brave 191cm midfielder with a competitive edge and great ability in the air. He has made significant improvements this year, exemplifying his attitude and commitment, but we believe he is only just scratching the surface of what he is capable of. Marcus is a dynamic and powerful mid-forward, who is also very strong in the air. He has overcome some injury setbacks in recent years, but his resilience, determination and talent have shone when he has had the opportunity to play. At 198cm, Oscar is a competitive and athletic key defender. He took strides in his footy this year, showing his commitment by travelling nearly five hours from Mt Gambier each week to play."- Head of list management James Gallagher

Verdict: The Saints can be satisfied with their work across the draft's two nights. The club opted for Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera with pick No.11, a player who has become known as the best kick in the draft and someone who will add a much-needed injection of quality and class to a workmanlike midfield group. They then matched bids at pick No.33 and 47 for Next Generation Academy members Mitchito Owens and Marcus Windhager respectively. They will both add strong-bodied midfield options, with Owens standing at 190cm and possessing the ability to play in every position on the ground and with Winghager providing explosive breakaway speed from stoppages. Their final pick was used to claim raw 197cm defender Oscar Adams, who will be given time to develop in the backline. - Riley Beveridge

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
FB_IMG_1637893480966.jpg

This is true but also pretty much no one has depth to cover Key Backs and Key Forwards.

If he does go down (knock on wood) Wilkie, Highmore, Battle etc do it makeshift.

Same argument if King goes down, number 1 KPPs dont grow on trees, no one can really cover them.
Howard around the 200cm
Battle Highmore and Wilkie all around 193 and under
Won’t be surprised if we still pick up Dean for that reason, club has said they would like Howard at CHB to be more attacking if they could get a lockdown FB. Back half of last year worked better when Marshall worked back and helped out
IF King goes down we could rotate Marshall and Ryder forward.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Howard around the 200cm
Battle Highmore and Wilkie all around 193 and under
Won’t be surprised if we still pick up Dean for that reason, club has said they would like Howard at CHB to be more attacking if they could get a lockdown FB. Back half of last year worked better when Marshall worked back and helped out
IF King goes down we could rotate Marshall and Ryder forward.
Maybe, but then were not getting him as a backup for if Howard goes down, which was my original point.

No one has a number 1 KPP just playing in the twos as insurance.

Maybe, but then were not getting him as a backup for if Howard goes down, which was my original point.

No one has a number 1 KPP just playing in the twos as insurance.
Agree
Think we are on the same page
Dean FB
Howard CHB

JediSaint

All Australian
Aug 25, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yes. In true St Kilda fashion we're playing him anywhere else after getting frustrated by his lack of progress 2 weeks into his pre-season.

OK, slightly over exaggerating but playing blokes out of their drafted position is a St Kilda specialty.
It was spoken about last night that Richmond want to play Gibcus as a forward. What a waste of 1st rnd pick if that is the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back