List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster*
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:
Stephen Wells, because we'd actually draft the elite WA talent under our noses.

Hmmmmmm. That would be interesting!

Wouldnt work as Wells has been recruiting for a 'destination club' for every third Victorian free agents who becomes available. Don't get that at the Eagles do we?

Doesn't have a great strike rate with 1st rounders because they rarely have them. Now 2nd round picks.......the guy knows his ****!

Reckon we'll snare a mature depth ruckman today.

It'd be the sensible play.

Although maybe they just risk it with Nicnat and the Williams, Jamo coverage we've got this year?

Worst case we can pick one up during the mid season draft, IF Sheppard actually does retire.

It'd be the sensible play.

Although maybe they just risk it with Nicnat and the Williams, Jamo coverage we've got this year?

Worst case we can pick one up during the mid season draft, IF Sheppard actually does retire.

Rather we did it during the pre-season and have a WAFL ruckman train with us over the summer with Nic nat to see if he is up to it and then draft in Ruckman if Shep hangs the boots up/

Saying the reason we drafted him was not simply for next year is not implying that he won't be played or be integral next year. We said the same thing about Kelly, it just means they consider him to have plenty of strong football left and that is the fundamental basis for the selection. If you really want to be cynical, you could maybe say the statement is to dilute any notion that we are "all in" on next year, but "WTaF would you bother drafting a 24 year old if you don't intend to play him?" is not a very strong comprehension and reads like you just want to be aggrieved.

I am aggrieved. It's symptomatic of the muddled thought processes at the club.

Why not say Clark brings a mature body to build depth in the midfield but the club sees Clark contributing over a number of seasons?

Money is on we take a complete random lol

I have been waiting for someone to joke that ROB is a recruiter from Wish because I think he is a recruiter from Make a Wish. So many completely random picks that are surely just trying to fulfil boyhood dreams for folks with a loose association to the club somewhere along the line.

I am aggrieved. It's symptomatic of the muddled thought processes at the club.

Why not say Clark brings a mature body to build depth in the midfield but the club sees Clark contributing over a number of seasons?
I haven't actually heard ROB's comments on the Clark selection beyond the paraphrasal posted in here "Clark could play next year but that's not why they drafted him", which seems not worth melting over.

Other *ery like him being posed as a defender, go for your life!

Any of these today would be nice.

Srnadica - List management box ticked with proper #1 ruck depth. Naitanui cliff approaching and we still have no viable alternative.

Fejo - Rawest of raw talents, but the potential upside for this would be HUUUUUGE. Sells more candy than the candyman, and has Jetta's footskills.

Dittmar - God knows we need some more midfield depth, particularly young midfield depth, and mullet goes hard and won't leave any stone unturned.

Charlie Dean - Probably unlikely as we've just got Bazzo, but i really rate this fella. Outstanding in the VFL up against men. Won the trophy for best young player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure thats from the guy who didnt rate Chesser in the top 70 players.

And said he hadn't seen him play, and that others have gone past him in the past couple of years.

Both of those items are pretty much due to 2019 COVID and 2020 injury.

Of course it's a reach taking a guy who has played 6 games in 2 years - but it seems a lot of clubs rated him in the top 25 - considering he was rated around 10-ish at the start of the season there aren't that many players that have gone past him!

Any of these today would be nice.

Srnadica - List management box ticked with proper #1 ruck depth

Fejo - Rawest of raw talents, but the potential upside for this would be HUUUUUGE. Sells more candy than the candyman, and has Jetta's footskills.

Dittmar - God knows we need some more midfield depth, particularly young midfield depth, and mullet goes hard and won't leave any stone unturned.

Charlie Dean - Probably unlikely as we've just got Bazzo, but i really rate this fella. Outstanding in the VFL up against men. Won the trophy for best young player.

As players, I agree any one of the 4 would be great (and it is a pretty comprehensive list of who we should be looking at if we have a retirement, Shep, and a SSP slot opens up). But I don't think Dean or to a lesser extent Fejo would be great picks for us. Dean becomes 5th banana key defence - 4 is plenty. Fejo we've just got 2 outside leaning mids (one mid/fwd, one mid/hbf) - it's kind of why the board is still in semi-meltdown and that may tip us over!

Dittmar and Srnadica both address needs for us, so either should be a priority. If it is a ruck we take today (Srnadica or other) and if Shep retires (sadly), then if Dittmar and/or Fejo are undrafted we should definitely look at them as SSP players.

Updated prior to Rookie and Cat B additions

1637891882535.png

Make your mind up on what we need. I usually highlight the fact that we don't have a starting midfielder that will be under 27 come season end but what would I know, I obviously have hidden our midfielder in my flank and utility category.

With multiple Edwards and Williams and a Jones, the list is starting to look like the Welsh Rugby team. All we need an Evans

Here is a snapshot of what the starting B22 (expecting injured players excluded) and the Beagles line up might look like. No need to argue what I have in or out the Best 22, it is more for where are our gaps and overlap

1637893494618.png

Edit: Update for Petch in the pocket (previous double up with XON listed twice)

Last edited:
Both want it ........... both deserve it.

View attachment 1287507 View attachment 1287506 or we take him View attachment 1287508

All very interesting choices, each with merit and each brings a different skill set.

Having already taken Clark, I would suggest that Rogers misses out.

As for the two Sharks.... tough call .

But suggest our recruiters take Browne.

For me I take the tall streak of Blue and White.

24 next year 203 cm 103 kg.

View attachment 1287516

I happen to think this kid is an untapped gem, his ruck craft has come on leaps and bounds, I age myself here, but I see a Scott Wynd like trajectory with him.
I'd like to take some combo of Dittmar, Stradnica and Rogers. Don't mind Browne but prefer the others. Woiuld like to see Regan picked up as well.

So who banked and who invested in the future?

Suns are big winners for 2022 as are Sydney
Eagles, Tigers Cats have strengthened their future hands
Dockers Saints and Adelaide look to have used a big part of next year

View attachment 1287755

Excellent chart.

I guess Freo are banking on their current crop to come good and/or next year's draft being weak.

Personally I don't understand the angst about Freo's drafting - it was always going to be a better haul than us. There are reasons why they had multiple picks in the top 20...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back