List Mgmt. Carlton Draft 2021

What I'm saying is that we put ourselves in an awful bargaining position while making panicky moves. Just not smart.

I am not a fan of Austin's. There are numerous reasons why. However, he turned nothing into something which is a solid move.

Ultimately, I'd rather have Honey and Kennedy than any player we overlooked at 55. Additionally, there's no other player that I'd rather delist over drafting a speculative kid unless there's some damning medical file to show that players they've backed in aren't ever going to make it back (e.g. Marchy).

I think you're over valuing the opportunity cost and underrating the value of the players currently on the list.

Not disappointed in this outcome at all. In fact, had you told me we'd end up with an additional few points next year and we still exited the draft having executed the exact strategy we entered the draft with I'd have been delighted. I don't think we panicked at all.

In my opinion, the only questions that I have are would we have drafted MacDonald or someone who went earlier in the second if we moved up and what did that opportunity cost look like. Even that was answered during the telecast as they stated clubs had been approached prior to our selection and they demanded a mint.

Sonny Jim

Senior List
Jul 28, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
I think it implies that they are mostly different types.

Owies is no roving pocket. He's about finding space and/or leading.

Durdin is the pressure forward but we are yet to see if he has the tricks to set the game alight at the feet of the big men.

Martin doesn't rove and snap either. More of a difficult aerial matchup.

Going off snippets from Cook and someone else at the club I heard, Fisher seems to be playing a more prominent role now. I think he will be back up the ground in down capacity.
Let's give him a game first and then see what happens 👍

slashin_velvet

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, STL Blues
It is very interesting we only had one live pick in all of the draft/rookie draft - seems they think our list is right. But from afar there seems to be a few weaknesses in out list, especially key tall backmen.

Surely a rookie tall instead of cottrell would have been the way to go (even with Jones on the list we need coverage)
Another interpretation is that they rolled a lot of contracts over for 1 more year for Voss to have a crack with them and make calls on who were the keepers and who to fold - also been a bit of a crap shoot couple of years for talent identification with COVID, hence there only really being 60ish picks.

Glad we picked a player with significant games in 2021 (broadcast claimed over 30 games across NT, School footy, and WAFL (Colts)).

Aug 20, 2007
Geelong
AFL Club
Carlton
It is very interesting we only had one live pick in all of the draft/rookie draft - seems they think our list is right. But from afar there seems to be a few weaknesses in out list, especially key tall backmen.

Surely a rookie tall instead of cottrell would have been the way to go (even with Jones on the list we need coverage)
We might get Akeui (Cat B) rookie tall and possibly another via SSP to replace Jones. That would help balance the list.

It's not going to make much difference taking someone now or later in my opinion. The chances of someone out there that's not already on an AFL list and hasn't been considered as a mature age recruit in this year's severely compromised draft pool coming in and playing 22 games as a KPD next year is slim at best.

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton

I think they don’t really rate Cottrell or LOB overly highly but know we desperately need a wingman. Will be interesting to see if any key tall is taken after pick ~54 which we had. Probably comes down to them thinking LOB and Cottrell have a ~20% chance of making it while any tall defender who would be available at our pick more like a ~5%.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
At 192 (who knows when that was taken also), all he needs is another inch and he'll be fine. He also has a really big leap which means he can play taller. For reference Weiters is 196.

Let's not base list management on the basis of a player might grow, get quicker, etc. Yes, he may have grown, but right now he is a 3rd tall.

As for this leap thing, I have seen the same thing with Gov, when discussing him as a KPD. Image the King boys having the same vertical leap, the difference in height would remain the same.

What makes Weitering able to play on the bigger forwards is his positioning, body work, before and during the contest, same as May. On the other hand, Jones used his speed/leap, but he was 199, not 192

Last edited:

GT619

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 20, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
We landed cotts 😍
L3X6CyCB7BoxacUl7l (1).gif

Pablito

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Let's not base list management on the basis of a player might grow, get quicker, etc. Yes, he may have grown, but right now he is a 3rd tall.

As for this leap thing, I have seen the same thing with Gov, when discussing him as a KPD. Image the King boys having the same vertical leap, the difference in height would remain the same.

What makes Weitering able to play on the bigger forwards is his positioning, body work, before and during the contest, same as May. On the other hand, Jones used his speed/leap, but he was 199, not 192
Easier said than done
Listed at 194 on the cfc website. He is Key Position size.

Mondyboy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton

Akuei is 194 according to CFC website.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Back