Discussion NFL Discussion

Yawkey way

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red sox
I don't want to sound like a Debbie downer, but I've been watching the College Football games on Kayo on weekends and I've enjoyed it much more than the NFL broadcasts. Just has a much better atmosphere and it just feels like it's more exciting, I don't know.

It's interesting that there are college football stadiums with higher capacity than NFL stadiums.
Love watching the college games and yes many have bigger crowds and a lot more atmosphere imo.

Looking forward to Cowboys v Chiefs this morning. Happy with our start v New Orleans too, impressed with Sirianni's ability to adapt to what is and isn't working. Keeps the mind at ease knowing we don't have a coach stuck in his ways.

Good win in the end! Bit nervy in the 4th as we went to sleep but a wins a win and I will take it every time. Hurts the first QB in franchise history to run for 3 touchdowns. The whole team was unbelievable on the ground today. Soft run home for us now so it makes this win all the more important.

Good win.
250 yards on the ground and some stout defense for at least 3 quarters haha. I am a tad "concerned" (if that's the right word) about Hurts' lack of passing game. When he does throw he does alright, but we seem so hell-bent to run the ball now that I wonder if we'll become too predictable. If it's working then why change I guess but there was a period in the 2nd quarter that we ran the ball 11 straight times. Even with the Saints pressing us late in the game we continued on the ground. I know it's working now but it reminds me of Lamar Jackson and how he's been somewhat found out...like most scrambling QB's in general. Ideally I'd want Hurts to turn into Russell Wilson 2.0 rather than Lamar 2.0...I think the Wilson types have more staying power.

Yawkey way

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red sox
250 yards on the ground and some stout defense for at least 3 quarters haha. I am a tad "concerned" (if that's the right word) about Hurts' lack of passing game. When he does throw he does alright, but we seem so hell-bent to run the ball now that I wonder if we'll become too predictable. If it's working then why change I guess but there was a period in the 2nd quarter that we ran the ball 11 straight times. Even with the Saints pressing us late in the game we continued on the ground. I know it's working now but it reminds me of Lamar Jackson and how he's been somewhat found out...like most scrambling QB's in general. Ideally I'd want Hurts to turn into Russell Wilson 2.0 rather than Lamar 2.0...I think the Wilson types have more staying power.
I used to have this discussion with my father and whilst I correctly predicted a Michael Vick and more accurately Russell Wilson. I’ve come to the conclusion he was right. Running QB’s ultimately end up having short careers and are useless when you get right down to it unless they can step up in the pocket and hit players down field outside the numbers.

Last week Patrick mahomes didn’t have 1 carry and this week after a half he has two. The threat he might run or can scramble for a first down is enough to disrupt defences imo. Andrew luck who had a great arm and should have been a dominant QB is retired because he kept trying to take on linebackers, you should have a look at the injuries he suffered. Hurt needs to start stepping up and hitting receivers or his days are numbered imo.

This is why I have no faith in recruiters, they see what they want to see and are notorious for jumping on the latest trend. Teams have done very well going against the trend picking up players that fit their scheme and laughing all the way to the playoffs.

I used to have this discussion with my father and whilst I correctly predicted a Michael Vick and more accurately Russell Wilson. I’ve come to the conclusion he was right. Running QB’s ultimately end up having short careers and are useless when you get right down to it unless they can step up in the pocket and hit players down field outside the numbers.

Last week Patrick mahomes didn’t have 1 carry and this week after a half he has two. The threat he might run or can scramble for a first down is enough to disrupt defences imo. Andrew luck who had a great arm and should have been a dominant QB is retired because he kept trying to take on linebackers, you should have a look at the injuries he suffered. Hurt needs to start stepping up and hitting receivers or his days are numbered imo.

This is why I have no faith in recruiters, they see what they want to see and are notorious for jumping on the latest trend. Teams have done very well going against the trend picking up players that fit their scheme and laughing all the way to the playoffs.
I agree with pretty much all of that. I'm enjoying winning right now but it's always in the back of my mind. I would love for him to develop a passing game that the coaches can rely on because honestly the sheer amount of times we're running the ball or he is scrambling out of the pocket kind of shows where the coaches see him right now.

We could either have a game breaking top 3 QB in the league or one that'll fade away within 2 seasons and force us to prepare to build around someone else. It can really go two ways and I think we'll find out soon enough.

Just watched the first two episodes absolutely brilliant.
I'm loving the inside access he gives to his mentality at the time and what the team had been going through. It really is great so far.

Oct 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Fulham FC, PHX Suns, MN Vikings

I agree.

Look at Lamar - he's passing more frequently this year - his average passing yards per game is up nearly 100 from 2020 season.

Whilst it's obviously important to have a QB that is a THREAT in the run game, it's not sustainable in terms of the QB's career to have 15-20 carries a game season upon season. As you rightly point out, far too much toll on the body and associated injury risks.

I didn't want to say anything in case I jinxed it but Dallas lose in OT!

They've lost 3 of their last 4 now...it's like clockwork with them, they somehow manage to fumble away every good opportunity they've been given. Here's to another 25 years of irrelevance :moustache:

Yawkey way

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red sox
I didn't want to say anything in case I jinxed it but Dallas lose in OT!

They've lost 3 of their last 4 now...it's like clockwork with them, they somehow manage to fumble away every good opportunity they've been given. Here's to another 25 years of irrelevance :moustache:
Had them right where you‘d want and then a penalty the fourth on brown basically handed the raiders the game, so cowboys.

Had them right where you‘d want and then a penalty the fourth on brown basically handed the raiders the game, so cowboys.
No idea what they were thinking. Going offside on the first kick is fine but doing it on the next play? Lol. Can always count on them to do something ridiculous to blow a game or season lol

Huge game for them next week in New Orleans. Perfect for us if the Bills win today and Saints win next week.

Yawkey way

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red sox
No idea what they were thinking. Going offside on the first kick is fine but doing it on the next play? Lol. Can always count on them to do something ridiculous to blow a game or season lol

Huge game for them next week in New Orleans. Perfect for us if the Bills win today and Saints win next week.
That was ok, it screws with the kickers mind and let’s you get his timing it was an easy kick anyway. It was the spot of the foul penalty on brown that killed the game for them. If you don’t get your head around and make contact you’re in trouble, that’s been the call for years so just more dumb football.

That was ok, it screws with the kickers mind and let’s you get his timing it was an easy kick anyway. It was the spot of the foul penalty on brown that killed the game for them. If you don’t get your head around and make contact you’re in trouble, that’s been the call for years so just more dumb football.
I think we're talking about different plays. I agree with you the first offside was fine. For the second he should've known an offside would've resulted in a Raiders 1st down. It's just dumb. That stuff needs to be communicated or understood before rushing the kicker before the snap. But it's the Cowboys so that kind of stuff is normal haha

Yawkey way

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red sox
I think we're talking about different plays. I agree with you the first offside was fine. For the second he should've known an offside would've resulted in a Raiders 1st down. It's just dumb. That stuff needs to be communicated or understood before rushing the kicker before the snap. But it's the Cowboys so that kind of stuff is normal haha
Yeah game was over no way you bring carr back out, it was all to no avail but the kicker did hit the upright and miss on one of those penalties. The raiders were on their 45 line third and 18 a spot of the foul call on brown takes them close to the cowboys 20 from memory. The raiders got a lot of good calls but that was a no brainer on brown and the game was effectively over right there, the rest was looking for a special teams miracle.

Yeah game was over no way you bring carr back out, it was all to no avail but the kicker did hit the upright and miss on one of those penalties. The raiders were on their 45 line third and 18 a spot of the foul call on brown takes them close to the cowboys 20 from memory. The raiders got a lot of good calls but that was a no brainer on brown and the game was effectively over right there, the rest was looking for a special teams miracle.
I think if the defender wasn't so far offside the kicker wouldn't have missed though haha. They had a timeout and just could've iced him, it was so far offside it almost looked like an obvious tactic to throw the kicker off but again they need to have the situation of the game in the back of their head before they do stuff like that. Can understand the first one given the down and distance and a 5 yard penalty wouldn't have mattered as much. If you give up the 1st there you also have the possibility of the Raiders running more clock and effectively denying the Cowboys any opportunity to win the game if the FG was missed.

Anyway I love it, couldn't be happier with the results so far. Think you would probably enjoy a Bills loss today too haha. Hard to see it happening, the Saints are decimated and on track to be shut out...

St Kilda Death

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NOLA

I wouldn’t count on saints winning anytime soon.
Too many players out both sides of the ball.

I wouldn’t count on saints winning anytime soon.
Too many players out both sides of the ball.
Yeah they're banged up pretty bad. Not sure if they will make it from here.

Mar 28, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
Division Semi Finals in the CFL today. Hamilton Tiger-Cats vs Montreal Alouettes to see who plays Toronto. And Saskatchewan Roughriders vs Calgary Stampeders to see who plays Winnipeg.

Division Semi Finals in the CFL today. Hamilton Tiger-Cats vs Montreal Alouettes to see who plays Toronto. And Saskatchewan Roughriders vs Calgary Stampeders to see who plays Winnipeg.
Any former NFL players play in that league?

Back