weirdo

Debutant
Aug 18, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, LFC, Cavs
What's bugged me over the years is that we've gradually added more hoops to the guernsey. For comparison's sake, here's a picture of our guernsey in 2017 vs a picture from 1997:

comparison.jpg

Notice how in the 2017 one (sorry to bring back bad memories), there are three sets of hoops leading in to four, depending on torso length. Whereas the '97 one has two sets of hoops leading in to three. This looks cleaner. That said, here's a comparison of what we've just released for next season vs a quick, messy shoop of what I'd like to see us do:

idealcrowshome.jpg

Pretty basic.

I suspect this'll be an unpopular opinion around here, but we have the messiest guernsey in the competition. Two sets of hoops looks more balanced, would get us closer to the original 90's design, would clean it up whilst still allowing the hoops to exist, and the navy block at the bottom would flow better into the home shorts. This creates a bolder, more monochrome look and would potentially have the added benefit of allowing us to wear our home guernsey away more often, against sides where a clash currently exists due to making the overall uniform darker (against Hawthorn for example).

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
What's bugged me over the years is that we've gradually added more hoops to the guernsey. For comparison's sake, here's a picture of our guernsey in 2017 vs a picture from 1997:

View attachment 1287049

Notice how in the 2017 one (sorry to bring back bad memories), there are three sets of hoops leading in to four, depending on torso length. Whereas the '97 one has two sets of hoops leading in to three. This looks cleaner. That said, here's a comparison of what we've just released for next season vs a quick, messy shoop of what I'd like to see us do:

View attachment 1287051

Pretty basic.

I suspect this'll be an unpopular opinion around here, but we have the messiest guernsey in the competition. Two sets of hoops looks more balanced, would get us closer to the original 90's design, would clean it up whilst still allowing the hoops to exist, and the navy block at the bottom would flow better into the home shorts. This creates a bolder, more monochrome look and would potentially have the added benefit of allowing us to wear our home guernsey away more often, against sides where a clash currently exists due to making the overall uniform darker (against Hawthorn for example).
I like the before one

weirdo

Debutant
Aug 18, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, LFC, Cavs
I feel like it looks better in real life than in a mock-up so here's some two-hoop collar/cuff combos with Ben Keays pushing his gut out to look stronk:

examples.jpg

I like the before one

Yeah but you don't like the yellow guernsey either so your opinion is poo.

Jul 17, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Melbourne Victory

View attachment 1287049

View attachment 1287051

Pretty basic.

I feel its been less about the club adding hoops, and more about manufacturers making the hoops thinner which results in more hoops appearing. Thickening them up back to the OG days would instantly improve the jumper. Could potentially allow for the first red hoop to return on the back as it would likely pass under the HJ logo.

Jul 17, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Melbourne Victory
Which might have been a clue on how popular it was if they ran it once and it sold like gangbusters.

Thats a false equivalence though. By design, a limited run will always sell "better" than a jumper that you can walk in and buy off the shelf whenever you want. FOMO and all that.

I feel its more that the gold jumper has always been somewhat polarising. It seems to be either loved or hated, with not much in between. Theres always a bunch of negative comments about the gold jumper when we wear it and I think the club just give in to the haters. The same happened in 2016-17 with the gold variant of the white clash jumper. Its so frustrating, because objectively the gold works better as a clash in more situations than the red, even if subjectively some people feel it doesn't look as good. In reality, theres no reason to ditch either of them. We had the perfect setup, just use whichever one is best for the respective opposition, and in time they all become seen to be a proper Crows guernsey.

Theres always a bunch of negative comments about the gold jumper when we wear it and I think the club just give in to the haters.
Which is weird considering we're entering season 13 of our embarrassing logo and wore disgraceful white guernseys for many of those.

Storm20

Been Here A Long Time
Aug 27, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I reckon they just make little changes like that so people who want to collect them all the guernseys have to buy another one.
Nah, that's just purely on the manufacturer, O'Neills would be feeding them some info on how the new style tears less, stronger, more comfortable etc, and we would just apply our design on that new template.

Apr 28, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Arsenal, West Adelaide
They've just released the 2022 Member's gear.

Also got my Crowmania voucher email from the digital membership.

Last edited:
Back