List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster*
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:
So who banked and who invested in the future?

Suns are big winners for 2022 as are Sydney
Eagles, Tigers Cats have strengthened their future hands
Dockers Saints and Adelaide look to have used a big part of next year

View attachment 1287755

Surely we offer 2023 first rounder for 3 of those second rounder haha

Yeah it comes down to how the player drafted gets used by his club as well.

People will call Ely Smith a dud pick, but i think if he actually left Brisbane and remained an inside mid he'd succeed elsewhere.

Brander, if he was actually used as a KPP from the get go and remained a KPP was a sound choice. However, for what we did with him it was a disaster pick.

Ainsworth was selected (presumably) BECAUSE he was the "best clearance" player of his draft.... and then we kept him out of CBD's like the plague. So that also became a terrible selection due to how we used him, because he had zero going for him as an outside player.

I'm with you in that I think the fact we draft players for certain desirable traits that they already have and then go about changing them so those traits disappear has been more to do with our coaching department. I'm hoping that will turn around this year with our new coaching configuration. Everyone says Talls take longer to develop but the fact players such as the King twins, Georgiades and Nick Cox all get games whilst playing at AFL level seems to expedite their transition at a faster level. I know we can't play every new recruit from day one but at least play them in the position we drafted them for.

Here is a snapshot of what the starting B22 (expecting injured players excluded) and the Beagles line up might look like. No need to argue what I have in or out the Best 22, it is more for where are our gaps and overlap

View attachment 1287761

Would like to see Chesser over Edwards - Edwards doesn't have the speed, repeat endurance and damaging foot skills to make it as an outside player; ultimately he will transition to inside. Chesser has all that. We need someone who can hit the goals from outside 50m.

Also we need a second ruck in that team so B Williams over Waterman. Hopefully solid preseason, he will be a hard match up in the forward 50m. Yes that's a tall forward line, but play to our strengths when the weather is good; and hopefully if his ruck works comes on it will allow us to drop NN to the square. If Williams doesn't play, are we putting Allen there again?

The questions are will Rioli be fit enough to play some on ball, will Foley be pigeon holed as a half back or moved to a wing. I think he offers more than Cole the way he finished the season.

As much as chipping the selection of our new talls in Bazzo and Williams goes..

The silver lining here is that there is absolutely no rush for them to develop and play quickly. Talls take time and patience, which thankfully these guys will get thanks to McGovern, Barrass, Edwards and Rotham being around for a few years yet.

So whilst we don't "need" them right now, it's still a sensible bit of list management for 3 years time.

Would like to see Chesser over Edwards - Edwards doesn't have the speed, repeat endurance and damaging foot skills to make it as an outside player; ultimately he will transition to inside. Chesser has all that. We need someone who can hit the goals from outside 50m.

Also we need a second ruck in that team so B Williams over Waterman. Hopefully solid preseason, he will be a hard match up in the forward 50m. Yes that's a tall forward line, but play to our strengths when the weather is good; and hopefully if his ruck works comes on it will allow us to drop NN to the square. If Williams doesn't play, are we putting Allen there again?

The questions are will Rioli be fit enough to play some on ball, will Foley be pigeon holed as a half back or moved to a wing. I think he offers more than Cole the way he finished the season.
It is not a discussion on best 22, it is a discussion on depth and cover in positions.

Points might be valid but I did say "No need to argue what I have in or out the Best 22, it is more for where are our gaps and overlap "

Hmmmmmm. That would be interesting!

Wouldnt work as Wells has been recruiting for a 'destination club' for every third Victorian free agents who becomes available. Don't get that at the Eagles do we?

Doesn't have a great strike rate with 1st rounders because they rarely have them. Now 2nd round picks.......the guy knows his ****!

Is his drafting that great though?

2016 - absolutely nailed it. They got 4 x B22 players (one an AA) plus another 3 fringe players (albeit one of those is now at our club!)
2017, Fogarty and Constable busts, Miers is handy - TK, yeah nailed it but also selected a guy who had huge go-home risks
2018 looking poor
19/20 too early to say (but nothing from 2019 standing out as elite)

2015, Menegola at 66 was great - he had 3 other busts in that range though so it was pretty scattergun
2014 - yuk
2013 - Jake Kolodjashnij @ 41 was a good get - not much else
2012 - meh
2011 - good draft with Murdoch, Bews (F/S) and Blicavs (rookie) added. They did add 9 picks to their list though
2010 - Cam guthrie at 23 a good get

Honestly I don't think our drafting history, especially of late, is any worse than theirs - and I'd probably argue it is better (they have done quite well out of trades and FA though if we are looking at a holistic list management perspective)

It's quite telling that most non-WCE sources (eg Fox, afl.com.au, Drafts board, various other pundits) have rated our selections as astute to excellent, while we have slammed all and sundry in this thread.

Maybe it's not as bad as the pessimists in here would make it out to be?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Williams into the side is said a lot around here, and I probably come across as overly negative on B Williams, but on exposed form he shouldn't be anywhere near B22 over Waterman, HEdwards, any of the smalls, even Vardy when he was on the list.

It's a massive pre-season for him, as if he doesn't show significant improvement in 2022 I can see him being gone at the end of the year. Has a lot of the tools, and has a bit of time, but production-to-date isn't AFL quality and he isn't B22 without earning it.

It's quite telling that most non-WCE sources (eg Fox, afl.com.au, Drafts board, various other pundits) have rated our selections as astute to excellent, while we have slammed all and sundry in this thread.

To be fair, who knows a list, biggest weakness and what the club needs better than a clubs supporters?

Meanwhile Cal Twomey can barely watch any of our games, have next to nothing to do with the club, then get to sit back and give a grading on a how our draft went, calling himself an "expert" in the process?

If there was a WA based unbiased reporter who actually knows both teams (say Ryan Daniels for instance) giving us his report, that'd carry some weight.

The experts who do these rankings probably don't sit there and watch us get annihilated at Kardinya park every couple of years like the fans do. Or sit in the stands as we're rolled by the bottom team North Melbourne at home as we "bounce back" after losing in a huge milestone game to other bottom team Collingwood the week before.

You've always been a bit of a sympathizer to Rohan and back our recruitment team in no matter what. Despite Brander. Despite Ainsworth. That's fine.

Despite our clear downward trend since we won the flag, missing top 4 twice and then missing finals completely in 2021 on the way to embarrassing it's fans in the second half of the year.

At what point does your faith in Rohan and our list management strategy waver? The 2022 offseason is going to be interesting.

we have Yoe, Shuey Clark, 23 and Allen 22 to bang around in packs. Chesser will have the power to be inside in a season or two but we have had no damage outside the pack and no speed to add pressure. Good picks including SPP. We now have a few that can run through the midfield to share the load so we dont fade through fatigue. Riolo the wild card.

So what do we do in the rookie draft?

Ruck
If NicNat goes down, we are screwed. Adding a 200+ cm back up will help Beagles but I would put the pressure back on Bailey and give him the reins. Under the NicNat out scenario, we are going to be very well placed for a low draft pick in 2022. I suggest there are 2 or 3 good prospects next year so I would probably hold off recruiting a ruck today.

HBF
Rumour of Shepp departing made me look at depth and we are fine. If he does go down. then perhaps we go a NGA Lawson and invest in youth. If we need a lock in, Bailey Rogers won the Sandover as a mid but 2 years ago was a HBF/Wing. He is lock and load ready so could give us the rebound and lockdown out of defence.

Mid
I believe we are under-invested in the midfield and I would go Josha Browne or Dittmar. Low risk selection and see how they go. They are only going to be playing Beagles in 2022 but these 2 local prospects are decent options.

It is not a discussion on best 22, it is a discussion on depth and cover in positions.

Points might be valid but I did say "No need to argue what I have in or out the Best 22, it is more for where are our gaps and overlap "

ok. I think it shows we lack speed and damage on the outside and key position depth (forward, back and ruck). A lot of speculative mids. I think what we drafted was actually our needs

We gambled with our first two picks. Both Chesser and Hough were taken ahead or at the high end of their expected draft range.

As I’ve said previously in this thread that is not unusual for O’Brien and unfortunately he doesn’t have a great track record in recent seasons of those reaches paying off.

In particular he has a habit of going for players with the potential to move into the midfield ahead of actual midfielders. This is over a period where the lack of midfield depth coming through has been an ongoing problem. It has also coincided with a period where we’ve not had a lot of high end draft picks so there has been extenuating circumstances for that

This year we had our highest pick in a decade in a draft that had numerous midfield options and we ignored the more contested style mids available and selected two more outside types that do admittedly address our lack of pace which was another weakness

So I can understand the frustration people here have that we’ve seen this movie before and don’t have the faith that finally this time the gamble might pay off. Like everyone I’m hoping it does, and certainly Chesser and Hough have attributes to get excited about

It makes it a difficult draft to assess because of the risk attached with our early picks especially when they ignored our issues with contested ball

I can see why some outside the club like what we’ve done as we’ve addressed outside speed but for those posters who have been banging on (with justification) that we don’t pick mids this draft doesn’t alleviate their concerns

Edit : Our remaining picks were shrewd list management by selecting a couple of KPPs that we can take time to develop (Bazzo and Williams) and a matured aged, ready to play contested beast who hedges the bet we made with our first two picks. These later picks helped balance our draft hand and probably saved this board from a complete meltdown

Last edited:
Imagine Kate jumping on the clubs account, getting all the fans pumped to tune in and then....

Selection # 10, West Coast: "Pass"
Flatter than you after Sydney called for a serve of Angus beef

Wow, just wow didn't think we could sink any lower than we have after our miserable season but hey we managed it. Freo nailed it with Amiss and Erasmus and will get Johnson just to rub it in our face.

fu** are recruiters are dumb fu**s, yey and now our second pick next year will be further down the line. I hate this elitist attitude the club has thinking their way will win in the end, im happy to be proven wrong but I jist don't see that happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back