Current Trial Wonnangatta - Russell Hill & Carol Clay vanish *Pilot Greg Lynn charged with murder

Did Greg Lynn tell police where he buried the bodies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Wouldn't his assets get frozen? Im sure his missus wouldn't appreciate hundreds of thousands of their money being wasted on trying to reduce his sentence.

The only way to stop that would be to file for divorce which often happens when a partner is likely going to jail fot a long time.
No reason they would be here and even where assets are frozen there’s typically a carve out for legal costs.

Agree, he can't probably dispute how they died, but he can possibly manipulate the narrative about why they died, and what led up to it. I'm just wondering if any advantage he gets there might work in his favour to lessen his sentence.

It could do. Personally, and i'm only guessing, i'd say his best possible outcome would be 1 count of Manslaughter (Russell) and 1 count of Murder (Carol).

He's really botched this whole thing up by disturbing the campsite. If he had murdered them in a way that the campsite was able to remain untouched, the victims would likely have remained a missing case like so many others.

Depends on many assumptions though, doesn't it? If the murders were impulsive, and at the campsite, then state of the campsite after the fact is now beyond his control, hence he needs to destroy evidence. If premeditated, then whole different scenario. He seems to have botched lots of it up, I'm just concerned though that he still has some power to control the narrative around what led to the murders in the first place, hopefully police can mitigate that with remaining evidence.

It could do. Personally, and i'm only guessing, i'd say his best possible outcome would be 1 count of Manslaughter (Russell) and 1 count of Murder (Carol).

Either way at 55 years old and the fact that he covered up the whole thing suggests there is a strong chance he will likely be in jail until the day he dies no matter how good his representation is. If I was his wife I would not want big $$ spent on lawyers negotiating a sentence which will surely be extensive no matter what.

Maybe it's best for her to divorce him immediately, get her share of assets and move on. Assuming that he has admitted guilt and that the only thing in question is how long the sentence will be.

Yeah the circumstances will be interesting. Murder charge straight up seems to bypass any manslaughter plea, but any legal eagles on here would know better than me? I'm just wondering, like others, if he was the initial aggressor/instigator of any confrontation, and if/how it escalated. Also, if he has burnt the tent and depending on the condition of any bodies, how much can he manipulate his story based on the remaining evidence to suit his own narrative, and potentially ameliorate the length of his sentence?

Edit: what I'm trying to say is - those CSI type shows often say the investigators use the evidence to give a voice to victims, but depending to what degree he has destroyed some evidence, his story may negate the voice of his victims to some degree, so he may be able to control part of the narrative to suit his own ends.
They’ve likely charged him with murder because that’s what fits the known facts best, but there’s a chance they could amend (or add) charges later on.

Pushing for manslaughter as a deal is common - even Bayley tried it - and Ristevski was successful because they didn’t know how she died and he remained silent, but with two victims I think it’s pretty unlikely unless there’s something we don’t know.

Either way at 55 years old and the fact that he covered up the whole thing suggests there is a strong chance he will likely be in jail until the day he dies no matter how good his representation is. If I was his wife I would not want big $$ spent on lawyers negotiating a sentence which will surely be extensive no matter what.

Maybe it's best for her to divorce him immediately, get her share of assets and move on. Assuming that he has admitted guilt and that the only thing in question is how long the sentence will be.

What share of the assets would he get in a divorce situation after he was sentenced to life in prison? If it's 0 or close to, then maybe the wife is better off holding out.

Anyone charged with a crime this serious will get lawyers, and those with a bit of dough will tend to engage lawyers with greater profile, but it’s probably a loss mitigation exercise now.

If he’s led them to the bodies he’s certainly not going to be pleading not guilty to all charges.

They might be able to negotiate on the charges and the plea will be critical. You’d comfortably pay $100,000+ if it meant a couple of years of freedom.

Yeah in WA & QLD I think they have introduced "No Body - No Parole" legislation so it would be in Lynn's interests to co-operate unlike Bradley Robert Edwards who refused to disclose the whereabouts of Sarah Spiers even though the Judge said he was 95% positive Edwards was her killer.

What share of the assets would he get in a divorce situation after he was sentenced to life in prison? If it's 0 or close to, then maybe the wife is better off holding out.

I have no idea how these things work when a divorce is filed while one of the couple is in jail pending conviction on murder charges. Say they have 800k in the bank. I can imagine one partner not wanting to squander 2-300k of that on legal fees just to reduce a prison sentence over a conviction that is inevitable.

To me surely she's best off divorcing him now and letting the family court decide on the asset breakup which should heavily be in her favor considering his plight.

I have no idea how these things work when a divorce is filed while one of the couple is in jail pending conviction on murder charges. Say they have 800k in the bank. I can imagine one partner not wanting to squander 2-300k of that on legal fees just to reduce a prison sentence over a conviction that is inevitable.

To me surely she's best off divorcing him now and letting the family court decide on the asset breakup which should heavily be in her favor considering his plight.

Well, technically he hasn't been found guilty yet and he does have a right to legal representation.

Maybe he wanted a shot of the drone ?

I shouldnt joke, nor should i use this as a vehicle to play out thread legal (now ?) plausible marple fantasies. Some are great here, some are confusing (myself, scusi) and as mentioned, some are going way overboard with naming but not naming people in areas or via multiple pictures for example. Its not always about it being legal to see, its about respect.

Rant over. Sorry not sorry.

Surely they have some real solid evidence if he's admitted to anything. They obviously needed more info just a couple of weeks ago when they released the information on the 4WD. Being in the area is merely not enough so unless he has just fessed up it will fascinating to know what they already had.

Regarding more deaths, i had thought of Ferrieux remains being found in July '19 (Were they confirmed ?) after going missing in February '19 (Theo Hayez thread says found in February '19) may have a connection to the Poshik student who was reported missing then found almost to the day, though this was Marysville. Connection being killers always return etc.

I have posted this previously or similar and perhaps not in a great manner, i have tried to make my writing better.

But...one for the marples, Poshika sharma was headed to Mt Buller.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah in WA & QLD I think they have introduced "No Body - No Parole" legislation so it would be in Lynn's interests to co-operate unlike Bradley Robert Edwards who refused to disclose the whereabouts of Sarah Spiers even though the Judge said he was 95% positive Edwards was her killer.
Full and early cooperation will also help with the plea.

If he knows he’s cooked he would be best off doing every little thing he can to limit the damage and see if he can get a sentence which allows the possibility of a return to freedom before he dies.

Well, technically he hasn't been found guilty yet and he does have a right to legal representation.

Of course he has a right to representation and that won't be taken away by his missus filing divorce. He'll just have less money to play with. Dennis Denuto is still available for hire after all.

Surely they have some real solid evidence if he's admitted to anything. They obviously needed more info just a couple of weeks ago when they released the information on the 4WD. Being in the area is merely not enough so unless he has just fessed up it will fascinating to know what they already had.

This.

Also, i know its rugged etc but they seem to have deployed the Aussie Swat A-team on him but they cant drone/dog an area that he had previous access to in is what is led to believe, a short time. If he has disposed of anyone of course.

Agree, he can't probably dispute how they died, but he can possibly manipulate the narrative about why they died, and what led up to it. I'm just wondering if any advantage he gets there might work in his favour to lessen his sentence.
Bit late for all that when he did not come forward for 20 months. I doubt there will be mitigation given the circumstances and that he destroyed evidence and tried to cover up. They gave him the prompt to come forward and he didn't. Best mitigation he would get is to plead guilty and get a sentence remission.

Last edited:
Wow ... Lynn isn't back in court until May and in Sale. Complexities of the case was given as the reason for such a long pause.

Hmmmmmm
Deteriorated forensic evidence where the Police don't have access to the newest tech?

On Thursday morning he disclosed where the bodies were....I would say that qualifies as admitting something.
The police used the info about the 4WD to try and smoke him out....they already knew it was his and knew of him......what they needed was him to tell them where the bodies are.
I'd say mission accomplished wouldn't you.
Aside from the above info and finding the graves, I would say they have more than we know.

On Thursday morning he disclosed where the bodies were....I would say that qualifies as admitting something.
The police used the info about the 4WD to try and smoke him out....they already knew it was his and knew of him......what they needed was him to tell them where the bodies are.
I'd say mission accomplished wouldn't you.
Aside from the above info and finding the graves, I would say they have more than we know.
Why wouldn't they just bring him in for questioning and show him the image of the 4WD in that case? I think they wanted friends and acquaintances to come forward with any information they had about his behaviour and possible confirmation of him camping in that area on that date imo.

Full and early cooperation will also help with the plea.

If he knows he’s cooked he would be best off doing every little thing he can to limit the damage and see if he can get a sentence which allows the possibility of a return to freedom before he dies.
If he is convicted for a double murder at his age he would normally not see freedom again.

He's probably at Fulham, I forgot that was there. Not sure if it has a wing for remand.

Fulham Correctional Centre is a medium security Australian prison located in Hopkins Road, Sale, Victoria, Australia. The prison consists of mainstream medium and minimum security cell blocks, management, and a protection unit. It was built by Thiess Contractors and completed in 1997

Back