Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
eDPS's 2021 Draft Rankings
960BC858-B0E4-4106-B24B-57B346D520AE.jpeg

Lore's 2021 Provisional Draft Order
Any issues with it please tag Lore in this thread: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2021-provisional-draft-order.1251001/

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
Could include Ridley in ‘16

and Begley.

The period before then was quite good Redman, Merrett as well. That helps prove we should be taking second rounders with much higher regularity than we currently are. Especially considering we have been a pretty poor team throughout that period.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
From the last 5 years including this one we have, Jones, Eyre and Bryan. 1 hit and two to be determined.

In the same period Melbourne has Fristch, Jordon, Sparrow, Bowey, Laurie, Rivers. That is the premiership level drafting we should be aspiring to.

Where did the other second rounders go?

You can't just ignore the players we've traded in with those selections, they haven't evaporated.

Apr 6, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Subiaco, Everton, SF 49ers
I've also seen him get outmarked by players smaller than him and not known for marking. I can really only judge on what I've seen live (I generally don't like watching highlights packages).

He'd probably be one of the slowest non KPP's we have on our list
Never seen him play but from your description Eth he's sounds a bit like a (very) poor man's Daniel Rich.

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich

You can't just ignore the players we've traded in with those selections, they haven't evaporated.
This year's and last year's were Caldwell.
2017 we traded a couple of 2nds for Stringer and one for Saad.

Saad and Stringer are wins, Caldwell yet to be seen

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory

Sure, there has been some success. Not really interested in revisionist history on every Shiel/Caldwell vs Smith/Stringer.

The problem for mine is the strategy, doesn’t appear to be related to the list health for mine. We have just had a draft that’s reminiscent of a top 4 team and only one in 5 years that we’ve tried to rebuild.

Not a team that’s 50/50 on finals next year. We seem to be consolidating for a premiership run.

The list is in decent shape but clearly lacks dominant superstars. I’m very concerned we are jumping the gun again.

How this ties into the second round is we have been slow to the uptake on how it has become an extension of the first round in recent years with how the development programs have improved and should be treated as a reservoir of potentially elite players.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I’m very concerned we are jumping the gun again.

I think you're being dramatic.

We had a very strong hand last year, dragged in currency from this year to get Caldwell as a former first round selection, kept this years first, have a full suite of picks next year plus 2 x Father-Sons, and consistently fielded one of the youngest lists in the AFL last season.

Not really interested in revisionist history on every Shiel/Caldwell vs Smith/Stringer.

What does this even mean?

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
In reality there is simply a lot of guessing going on here .Even more than normal. These players have a very small sample size. The reason I am not all that locked in on any one player is there is just not a lot to go on.
I generally like to have seen over 3 games live and quite a few on replay before starting to form a strong opinion.

This talk is insanity. The clear consensus is don’t watch games, highlights, draft reports or look even at stats.

To be on this board you must agree to form unwavering opinions on the only thing that is truely important…. 190+cm

Aug 15, 2009
Donaldsons Dairy
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chelsea
I dont think the lack of trades has to do with teams wanting to trade up, but rather teams were really reluctant to trade back.
Even if we wanted to move up, we may not have had anyone who wanted to do a deal to move back.

I would have liked Draper, but it is what it is. I remember when we passed on Rantall and everyone lost their minds, you never know.
I think this answers our question

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
I think this answers our question

There you go.

Like I said, it's hard to trade up when no one wants to trade back. I am just happy we kept all our future picks, as having our 2nd rounder would have been handy last night (though i am happy with Caldwell).

Apparently we were big on Arthur Jones as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeh... young rookies going to need more than 1 year anyway. We’ll live yo regret not picking him.
I doubt many clubs regret missing out on a kid who goes as a rookie pick

and id assume we also have 2 spots left on our list for SPP and mid year draft
yes, 2 SPP spots left.

For the posts above, we did pause for a long time on our last pick, I wonder if they had thought of taking Long. Perhaps not, as if I assume if interested, you would take the kid before the mature age VFL player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back