Kieran Strachan
Paul Hunter (re-rookie)
Jordon Butts
Ben Keays
Ben Crocker
Pass
Bryce Gibbs (re-rookie)
Ben Davis (re-rookie)

Absolute pile of sh*t to be honest. We've taken two definitive best 22 players in 6 years (one was an off-cast from another club) and a borderline best 22 player
Clearly we should be avoiding mature agers, token father sons and stop re rookie-ing duds.

Are there any wishful thinking stories of players like Davis who suddenly come good after years on a list. Half glass full wishful thinker 😂
wasn't Porps delisted and then came back a legend a few years later? I'd think delisting lights a fire in the belly more so than a relist just so you can give us some social media content but that's the closest thing I can think of.

I must be the only one that has a bit of time for Davis
Me too.

He's got every trait you could wish for, except perhaps elite endurance.

The big question is why can't he put it all together? So inconsistent who has great moments but then a brain fade or nothing.

Personally I think it's a case of list balance (not too many skinny youngsters) by providing a bigger body in the SANFL defence who is seemingly a great character and loved by teammates. Perfect for the SANFL.

wasn't Porps delisted and then came back a legend a few years later? I'd think delisting lights a fire in the belly more so than a relist just so you can give us some social media content but that's the closest thing I can think of.

Yup, though he wasn't directly re-rookied. By memory, Porps was drafted here, delisted after one year, got picked up Port two years later, delisted after one year, then got redrafted by us a couple of years afterwards.

Probably the closest example to Ben Davis with an Adelaide link right now is Ben Keays who was delisted after four years. That said, I don't know any who have been on a list for 4-5 years, delisted and re-listed doing much. That just seems like the club doesn't want to own the call they've already made on a player (even if they haven't realised it).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd like to hear HO justify that selection policy.

I assume we feared that Luke Nankervis wouldn't get to Pick 4 in the Rookie Draft so grabbed him in the PSD. However, this seemed unlikely. If he's on a 1 year contract then fair enough, but if it's 2 yr then that's a loss of list flexibility with a bit of a crunch looming at the end of next season. Not delighted but can live with it.

As for Davis in Rookie Draft ...... FFS why? Do Reid, Ogilvie and the coach believe he has the potential to become a first team player for the rest of his career despite only 3 mediocre games to his mid career? It's an insult to our NGA's O'Laughlin and the chubby midget with supreme skills that we didn't even think they were worth a look in preference. Reselecting David Mackay would have been preferable. Even selecting a 67yo Bob Neil would have been preferable!

I assume we feared that Luke Nankervis wouldn't get to Pick 4 in the Rookie Draft so grabbed him in the PSD. However, this seemed unlikely. If he's on a 1 year contract then fair enough, but if it's 2 yr then that's a loss of list flexibility with a bit of a crunch looming at the end of next season. Not delighted but can live with it.

As for Davis in Rookie Draft ...... FFS why? Do Reid, Ogilvie and the coach believe he has the potential to become a first team player for the rest of his career despite only 3 mediocre games to his mid career? It's an insult to our NGA's O'Laughlin and the chubby midget with supreme skills that we didn't even think they were worth a look in preference. Reselecting David Mackay would have been preferable. Even selecting a 67yo Bob Neil would have been preferable!
Wow that's a quality melt

I love Ben Davis as a person, he's certainly a character and everyone at the club loves the guy, I'm just unsure of his footballing ability.
He's never really been given a chance at AFL level only a game here and there. Perhaps with our young list we're happy enough and he's happy enough to continue to play SANFL for us and be a mentor in standards when it comes to training etc.

I'm ok with us taking him I just think why did we bother delisting him in the first place. I got excited for a new toy and then we just were like yeah nah we changed our minds

Nankervis! Excellent.

Can someone who understands these things explain why we wouldn't have just taken him yesterday instead of passing then? Is it to do with the list lodgement stuff last night?
By taking Rachele, Taylor & Soligo in the ND, Nankervis in the PSD, and promoting Keays off the rookie list, we now have 37 players on the senior list.

I suspect they took stock of things overnight, and decided that they had enough salary cap space to go with 37/5/2 instead of 36/6/2. Doing so also gave them the ability to grab him in the PSD, ahead of any potential gazumpers early in the RD.

Personally I would have thought ROC would have been a better option for a re-rookie. Kid played 1 game, wasn't awful, and had two years affected by Covid. I dont dislike Davis, but he has had his chance....in fact 5 years of them....

Back