List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster*
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:
We gambled with our first two picks. Both Chesser and Hough were taken ahead or at the high end of their expected draft range.

As I’ve said previously in this thread that is not unusual for O’Brien and unfortunately he doesn’t have a great track record in recent seasons of those reaches paying off.

In particular he has a habit of going for players with the potential to move into the midfield ahead of actual midfielders. This is over a period where the lack of midfield depth coming through has been an ongoing problem. It has also coincided with a period where we’ve not had a lot of high end draft picks so there has been extenuating circumstances for that

This year we had our highest pick in a decade in a draft that had numerous midfield options and we ignored the more contested style mids available and selected two more outside types that do admittedly address our lack of pace which was another weakness

So I can understand the frustration people here have that we’ve seen this movie before and don’t have the faith that finally this time the gamble might pay off. Like everyone I’m hoping it does, and certainly Chesser and Hough have attributes to get excited about

It makes it a difficult draft to assess because of the risk attached with our early picks especially when they ignored our issues with contested ball

I can see why some outside the club like what we’ve done as we’ve addressed outside speed but for those posters who have been banging on (with justification) that we don’t pick mids this draft doesn’t alleviate their concerns

Edit : Our remaining picks were shrewd list management by selecting a couple of KPPs that we can take time to develop (Bazzo and Williams) and a matured aged, ready to play contested beast who hedges the bet we made with our first two picks. These later picks helped balance our draft hand and probably saved this board from a complete meltdown
I'm ok on our picks in this draft although I would have had Johnson in front of Chesser, mainly because I didn't know much about Chesser. The rest I thought were absolutely spot on with the picks we had. I'm confused with this rookie draft though as I thought we still have three rookie picks to make the total overall equal to the max of 44. The only reason not to do this has to be that we are too close to the salary cap. Someone has made a huge blunder if we have to play at three players less than the max

I'm ok on our picks in this draft although I would have had Johnson in front of Chesser, mainly because I didn't know much about Chesser. The rest I thought were absolutely spot on with the picks we had. I'm confused with this rookie draft though as I thought we still have three rookie picks to make the total overall equal to the max of 44. The only reason not to do this has to be that we are too close to the salary cap. Someone has made a huge blunder if we have to play at three players less than the max
Max is 42. Up to 38 senior and 4 rookies.
1637901843472.png

So if we add a player via NGA it's obviously outside the cap right? So Humphries as Shep insurance is a free hit?

Are the SSP guys also cheaper then?
Not quite, it comes out of soft cap which from all reports is exhausted.
You can go over your soft cap, but you get taxed $ for $.

A ruckman for some cover in the rookie draft would have been good

If anything happens to Nic Nat, we are in serious trouble

List size is 42 so we only had one spot available and I’m guessing we want to keep our options open on who to take

Max is 42. Up to 38 senior and 4 rookies.
So we've got 1 spot, could try a few out over preseason and take one as a rookie. Don't mind it.

Simmo being aloof or keeping a BBQ invite between himself and the new draftees?

I’m seeing Justin Longmuir’s grinning mug in photos with all the Freo recruits and we send The Dish and old Serge Miller over to the Bazzo residence and that’s it?

Just quietly too, how tidy is Bazzo’s sister? 👀

Simmo being aloof or keeping a BBQ invite between himself and the new draftees?

I’m seeing Justin Longmuir’s grinning mug in photos with all the Freo recruits and we send The Dish and old Serge Miller over the the Bazzo residence and that’s it?

Just quietly too, how tidy is Bazzo’s sister? 👀
pics or gtfo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Smarter when you think about it.

Why risk a spot on a rookie if he ends up rubbish.

Id rather we invite 2-3 to do a pre-season and see who impresses?

But shouldn't we have already done scouting on all the prospects we're keen on and have a few marked as "Potential rookie" already?

Seems odd to think we need to invite players to come train to get a look at them when we have an entire recruiting and scouting department.

Unless they are a special case, like being based over east or up north, and we've seen very little of them.

Social media team spelt her name wrong.

It's not like they do much, would be nice if what they did do was actually accurate.

Probably to dissuade people from hunting down her Insta.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back