Corona virus, Port and the AFL. Part 4.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are we opening up the borders but still forcing contacts to isolate?

Either let 'er rip or don't. If you open the borders, we're gonna get COVID. If you don't want COVID, don't open the borders.
Agree with this.
We stopped forcing contacts to isolate, they just need to test and then they're on their way.

We are about to hit 95% double vaxxed though

A vaccine certificate should not solely be the pathway for free travel. Those unvaccinated and who have had the disease should be eligible for travel.
These recovered numbers are now creeping up.
In Germany for example:

"Much of Germany has already introduced rules to restrict access to indoor activities to people who have been vaccinated or have recovered from COVID-19."

Don’t get too excited about throwing caution to the wind right away…this may be far from over.

Our National borders may again be closed if it spreads.

Welcome variant B.1.1.529 from Botswana. ( with 22% vax rate and low testing)

This could be more serious than Delta and is rapidly taking over in the local region there.

The mutations in this variant look to be associated with higher transmissibility and higher escape.

The new variant has many variations in the furin spike, many more than delta .This variant has at least two furin site mutations ( this is the nasty part) which has scientists on high alert.

Last edited:
Basically why couldn't they look at what seat the plague carrier was in and just select the poor schlubs in the adjoining few seats and tell them to quarantine til they get a test?

They're saying someone fully vaccinated, seated 20 rows away, with zero symptoms and a negative test still has to quarantine for 7 days.
Because when you're sitting in an enclosed plane with recirculated air, it doesn't matter very much how far apart you are. The Air Conditioning effectively spreads any pathogen throughout the plane.

Australia: ready to move on

OGC: WHAT ABOUT BOTSWANA

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk
LOOK AT GIBRALTAR :drunk:

Delta started the same way in India, 9 months later it was everywhere. The fun thing about science is that s**t changes, and if there's a more dangerous strain out there then it needs to be looked at and held up where possible.

Australia: ready to move on

OGC: WHAT ABOUT BOTSWANA

Nearly two years ago I was mentioning the novel virus on BF and that it would stop us having our game in Shanghai that year.
I was laughed at and told to stop looking under the bed..

Ignore the threat of a new variant at our peril, complacency is Covid 19’s best friend.

Personally I think we need to close our international borders now, right now.

Last edited:
Two years ago as well I said * international relations, shut the borders.

But the scientists said no need.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mmmmm. Seems like our Premier was doing a bit of creative accounting on the SA vaccination rate today and put pressure on SA Health to amend their official figures to toe the line with his press release (go to Nick Harmsen's tweet to follow the story):

In short SA Health's update today said SA was at 79.5% double vaccinated as at midnight - which was at odds with the Premier's announcement that SA had reached 80% double vaccination.

Then SA Health withdrew its earlier update and replaced it with an altered one saying that SA had reached 80% (using Commonwealth reporting guidelines today)

I'm sure we will reach 80% today but it is odd that the Premier was so keen to have it announced officially today. I'm guessing he was keen to make the 6pm news bulletins ;)

Last edited:
Mmmmm. Seems like our Premier was doing a bit of creative accounting on the SA vaccination rate today and put pressure on SA Health to amend their official figures to toe the line with his press release (go to Nick Harmsen's tweet to follow the story):

The 79.5% figure was as of midnight last night, so we will undoubtedly hit 80% or very close to it today. All states round up their figure, so once we hit 79.5% they were always going to call it 80%.

More likely the pollies said no need.
We should shut them right now.

Really?
Even now as fully vaccinated I still can’t get back into SA without quarantine.
Haven’t been able to get home for almost 2 years.
Airfares still verge on unaffordable.
Australia dropped the ball with vaccination, finally have caught up with what’s happening in the real world and still can’t seem to see that living with Covid is a fact of life.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

In short SA Health's update today said SA was at 79.5% double vaccinated as at midnight - which was at odds with the Premier's announcement that SA had reached 80% double vaccination.

Then SA Health withdrew its earlier update and replaced it with an altered one saying that SA had reached 80% (using Commonwealth reporting guidelines today)

I'm sure we will reach 80% today but it is odd that the Premier was so keen to have it announced officially today. I'm guessing he was keen to make the 6pm news bulletins ;)

There's Captain Obvious calls and then there's this post.

Really?
Even now as fully vaccinated I still can’t get back into SA without quarantine.
Haven’t been able to get home for almost 2 years.
Airfares still verge on unaffordable.
Australia dropped the ball with vaccination, finally have caught up with what’s happening in the real world and still can’t seem to see that living with Covid is a fact of life.

And I’m sure there’ll be other variants too….so Australia should just continue to close the borders to everyone?

True…There have been many variants, but this one is looking to be a lot more concerning than even Delta.
I guess more info is rapidly coming to light and will inform decisions.
But yes, if a variant turns out to be many many times more transmissible than Delta, just as deadly, and evades current vaccines we definitely should try to keep it out.

True…There have been many variants, but this one is looking to be a lot more concerning than even Delta.
I guess more info is rapidly coming to light and will inform decisions.
But yes, if a variant turns out to be many many times more transmissible than Delta, just as deadly, and evades current vaccines we definitely should try to keep it out.

Yet the guy who blamed Trump for everything at the start isn't going the same level nuts when the current guys letting millions randomly in during a pandemic.

I thought you also wanted mutations, it should be more transmissible and weaker. Isn't that what we all wanted as a key part of the vaccine uptake?

The reproduction rate of 2 is a issue if it doesn't get whacked on the head real quickly.
That there are now cases in Hong Kong and that being a major travel hub for Asia would suggest it's in China India etc as well. Alan Joyce may find himself having issues keeping international routes open within a few weeks?

The World Health Organisation has declared the new strain of COVID-19 that emerged in South Africa a variant “of concern” and named it Omicron, after the Greek letter. Has now been detected in Belgium, Israel and Hong Kong.

We know so little about Nu/Omicron yet that I don't think its time to freak out.

If you look at what's happened in Japan and the UK, excessive mutations could be a neutral or good thing. It could be one that burns itself out in a short period of time after destroying Delta. It could be one that has no additional power in breaking established immunity, that's all just theory. It could be one that's way more infectious but also far less dangerous, evolving in the way previous coronaviruses have.

No evidence at this point that its more dangerous, just that its more transmissable.

I say give it a few weeks til we have the data to know whether to worry or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back