Review 2021 AFL National Draft (Part 2) | NM - JHF, GOAT, PCurtis, MBergman, JArcher

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
100 questions will be about our KPP depth lol.

200*

8D325416-5B43-4D1B-8777-13CD70A1E0B7.jpeg

Roobound

Club Legend
North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Aug 16, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I watch a heap of junior footy mate (involved at dragons )
We needed to draft for a Kpd

So you didnt see the kid who finished runner up in the club B&F ?

Why do we need to plug all holes for the sake of plugging holes.....in one draft. Draft for talent trade for needs.

Be patient its a long haul this re-development caper.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I liked the idea of Xerri someone mentioned earlier. He's aggressive, I think he could be a handy asset parked in defence.
He struggles to mark the ball; especially in a contest. I don't think he'll make it as a KPD unless something drastic happens.

joegreen

All Australian
Mar 29, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Assuming current players don't change.... my tips...

JHF - 6
CCJ - 18 (posted somewhere he has been offered it)
Greenwood 14 (though he may choose 21)
Goat 25 (keep it in defence)
Curtis 21 (X factor forward like Corey Jones)
Bergman 31
Archer 34

Nobes mentioned we have a jumper number policy. Interesting to read that.

JarOfConfidence

Team Captain
Feb 9, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He struggles to mark the ball; especially in a contest. I don't think he'll make it as a KPD unless something drastic happens.
He doesn’t need to mark it, just bring it to the ground. And as for lack of pace, most CHF’s aren’t exactly Speedy Gonzalez, so don’t see that as a problem. Get him to run straight at the ball and hit the packs hard. Easy-to-follow instructions ….

Aug 16, 2009
North Caulfield
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Cheers Souup.

Your calls are great and your explanations of why you make those calls are very informative. Makes these draft threads, informative and very good reading.

Thanks heaps.

Also I second everyone who has said you should have a gig in clubland (if you don't already have one.)
Nah we don’t wanna lose Souup like we lost Pykie

*Hope you do get a gig mate, your opinions are very informative.

RossHenshaw

Club Legend
Sep 12, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So you didnt see the kid who finished runner up in the club B&F ?

Why do we need to plug all holes for the sake of plugging holes.....in one draft. Draft for talent trade for needs.

Be patient its a long haul this re-development caper.
I hear you , & you raise a good point however clubs who have 2 picks within the top 20 or so normally choose their first 2 picks (as the 2 best available) which we did (big tick) then its about plugging holes on your list . Our holes is no secret & blatantly obvious is our backline & we are desperate for a talented small forward.
We went to the trouble of trading picks in the 40’s down to the 30’s (big tick) at a cost of losing 3rd rounders in 2022.
Only to pass on Bazzo KPD & Howes (declared today officially as “the steal” of the draft ) ….. The 2 picks we chose would have been there in our original 2 40’s picks & some ….
I just don’t get it .

Aug 16, 2009
North Caulfield
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I absolutely and vehemently disagree.

I think the points system is an area the AFL have actually almost got right.

The exclusion for bid matching NGA from the first round has diluted it less. I would extend this to also include the northern academies over time. Sydney and Brisbane immediately and GC and GWS limited until such time has passed that F/S can be a thing for them.

Then the draft would have a first round that is almost *wait for it* fair. Where the only bid matching that can happen is for F/S selection which is unique and should be absolutely protected.

Beyond the first round bid matching allows still for enough incentive to train kids through the academies.
It’ll never be fair IMO, particularly when the supposed ”Governing Body” has a vested interest in certain teams succeeding and crowd maximisation being their other main priority.

Last edited:

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
I hear you , & you raise a good point however clubs who have 2 picks within the top 20 or so normally choose their first 2 picks (as the 2 best available) which we did (big tick) then its about plugging holes on your list . Our holes is no secret & blatantly obvious is our backline & we are desperate for a talented small forward.
We went to the trouble of trading picks in the 40’s down to the 30’s (big tick) at a cost of losing 3rd rounders in 2022.
Only to pass on Bazzo KPD & Howes (declared today officially as “the steal” of the draft ) ….. The 2 picks we chose would have been there in our original 2 40’s picks & some ….
I just don’t get it .

Is there actually an official “steal of the draft” ? Who decides that?

Back