Game Day 2021 AFL Draft & AFL Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

He's got a sharp turn when he plays on.

Can someone unlock from paywall the story from the Herald Sun (6 days ago) "Why Clubs Should Take A Punt on Chargers Wingman".

An AFL club would do well to take a punt on Oakleigh Chargers wingman, Karl Worner.

Chargers coach Jason Davenport believes the 188cm, 78kg 19-year-old has all the attributes to make it at the top level should he be chosen at next week’s AFL draft.

Worner played five NAB League matches this season after missing out on his top-age year due to COVID-19 wiping out the 2020 campaign.

But he’s made every post a winner on return this year with his versatility, outside run and endurance standing out among his many traits in his NAB League appearances.

Worner also impressed in Victorian trial matches, gathering 30 disposals and 15 marks in one of them, leading to Vic Metro selection. He was part of Richmond’s VFL squad this year and was one of few 19-year-old prospects to earn an invitation to the draft combine.

“No doubt, someone with his running capacity, ball-use and ability to hit the scoreboard and overhead marking, he’s got overwhelming AFL attributes that I feel would be beneficial to any club,” Davenport said.

“He also has a really unique ability to play difficult positions, including the wing.”

Davenport has also been impressed with Worner’s maturity and team-first attitude.

“He was consistent with his role with regards to his pattern which translates well to the next level – and also, it’s a great insight into his maturity to be patient, and have a willingness to play a role than to chase disposals, I felt which was really important,” Davenport said.

“Structurally, he understands the game and was able to apply himself in different roles this year which is a great sign in his maturity.

“But also his ability to prepare himself physically and mentally to perform consistently was a big standout for us.”

The ‘mature’ prospect carved out a junior career with the Ashburton and East Burwood football clubs.

He played under-17 Premier grade football with East Burwood before playing under-19s with the Eastern league club, where he has a strong family connection.

Touted as a late pick or rookie selection, Davenport said it wouldn’t matter where the 19-year-old figured in the draft order, such is Worner’s drive.

“I think he just wants to be given an opportunity, and that’s why I’m really encouraged too that wherever that was, he’d make the most of it … especially the way he can apply himself,” Davenport said.

And he could be a “real find” for an AFL club next week.

“That’s definitely where I sit on it, for sure,” Davenport said.

I do like reading this analysis of the Freo picks... "... I would've taken Erasmus" for pick 8 (Freo :blush:). "... and Freo should've picked someone like Johnson" for 10. Freo: "Hold my beer" https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_...draft-************-espn-reviewing-first-round

Of course, the draft is won and lost in the next 5 years, not today, but Freo's haul looks likely to be handy.
Would take anything that bloke says with a large keg of salt.

Wish they had some rookie draft reaction videos. The first round ones are great and everything, but those guys know they're getting drafted, it's just a matter of to where.
Imagine the Karl Worner and Josh Treacys being genuinely pumped just to get drafted.

Also quietly, when will they get rid of the rookie list?
Surely there's other ways to structure the salary cap and lists now.

Wish they had some rookie draft reaction videos. The first round ones are great and everything, but those guys know they're getting drafted, it's just a matter of to where.
Imagine the Karl Worner and Josh Treacys being genuinely pumped just to get drafted.

Also quietly, when will they get rid of the rookie list?
Surely there's other ways to structure the salary cap and lists now.
When players can be offered a contract at the draft, so they sign for five years or one year depending on which club wants them, thats when the rookie list can go.

A wingman! Nice.
A wingman with elite running ability including great defensive running and good to great foot skills by the looks. Interesting. Our list could do with a tagging option outside of Banfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When players can be offered a contract at the draft, so they sign for five years or one year depending on which club wants them, thats when the rookie list can go.

I still think there should be tiers that limit what can be offered, and first round / second round / later would be a reasonable split.

It would be interesting if it was relatively uncapped, it would further create this middle ground for super cheap role players to balance out what you're offering, even more than today.

Isn't that essentially the mid-season draft?

Here’s a question - if Hawthorn had not taken Conor mcDonald at 26 and gone elsewhere, it seems Carlton may have taken him instead of Motlop.
So, in that hypothetical scenario, would Jesse have slid though to pick 41 after that do you guys reckon, or would someone else like North have picked him in the 30s?

Here’s a question - if Hawthorn had not taken Conor mcDonald at 26 and gone elsewhere, it seems Carlton may have taken him instead of Motlop.
So, in that hypothetical scenario, would Jesse have slid though to pick 41 after that do you guys reckon, or would someone else like North have picked him in the 30s?

I don't think he gets past the 30s.

In afl.com.au, in pre draft discussion on 2nd day twomey,nat and riley was discussing whether freo will trade 21. Twomey said unlikely .. hawks interested to move up to get johnson. And twomey said freo apparently asked hawks their future 1st which will be top 5 pick. He added freo will ask for it minimum and wont take anything less than that
. I think we rated johnson as top 10 and to give him up,we needed a top 10 pick.... thank you Belly..

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

In afl.com.au, in pre draft discussion on 2nd day twomey,nat and riley was discussing whether freo will trade 21. Twomey said unlikely .. hawks interested to move up to get johnson. And twomey said freo apparently asked hawks their future 1st which will be top 5 pick. He added freo will ask for it minimum and wont take anything less than that
. I think we rated johnson as top 10 and to give him up,we needed a top 10 pick.... thank you Belly..

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app
Wow. I was wondering if we would get any indication of what may have been asked for and offered.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back