Analysis 2021 draft thread

The Zork

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The fact that any media outlet or analyst give out any “grades” post draft is headache inducing stupidity.

Do it mid season to see how draftees are tracking and/or at the end of the following season, pre draft - absolutely.
Highlight and make a big deal of your steals and reaches then.
All it is designed for now is to generate clicks.

It’s basically him rating himself on how close he got his own ratings?
Not sure why anyone would read that?

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Just a couple of brief observations, and nothing that hasn’t been said elsewhere.

By our third pick, I was struggling to think of a player still on board that I would have drafted. Draper or Taylor seemed the obvious choices of the players I was familiar with, but I wasn’t a fan of Draper earlier in the year, so struggled to see what he’d add, and for me Taylor is a similar type to Fletcher, who we’ll add next year.

Alistair Lord and Lachlan Rankin were two I would have considered, if we had gone with different players at our early picks.

I thought Richmond had a really good draft, b******ds. They haven’t addressed their key forward issues going forward, but this wasn’t the draft to do it.

I thought Fremantle had a good draft, taking all the top local kids.

Not that impressed with Adelaide, West Coasts or Sydney’s drafts overall. I did like the first selection for both Adelaide and WC, but the rest of their drafts were very meh for me.

No idea wtf Gold Coast are doing. Andrew only makes sense to me if King is leaving. And drafting Constable late??? They gave away Lyons for free, paid another team to take Brodie, then go and draft a player with exactly they same “issues”, being a poor runner, particularly defensively.

Sep 19, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just a couple of brief observations, and nothing that hasn’t been said elsewhere.

By our third pick, I was struggling to think of a player still on board that I would have drafted. Draper or Taylor seemed the obvious choices of the players I was familiar with, but I wasn’t a fan of Draper earlier in the year, so struggled to see what he’d add, and for me Taylor is a similar type to Fletcher, who we’ll add next year.

Alistair Lord and Lachlan Rankin were two I would have considered, if we had gone with different players at our early picks.

I thought Richmond had a really good draft, b******ds. They haven’t addressed their key forward issues going forward, but this wasn’t the draft to do it.

I thought Fremantle had a good draft, taking all the top local kids.

Not that impressed with Adelaide, West Coasts or Sydney’s drafts overall. I did like the first selection for both Adelaide and WC, but the rest of their drafts were very meh for me.

No idea wtf Gold Coast are doing. Andrew only makes sense to me if King is leaving. And drafting Constable late??? They gave away Lyons for free, paid another team to take Brodie, then go and draft a player with exactly they same “issues”, being a poor runner, particularly defensively.
I know I'm flogging a dead horse here but why do they keep recruiting mature age key forwards who don't kick goals when there has been one living 50km away for a number of years in Hammelmann. Corbett, Burgess records in the VFL and SAFL were pretty average tbf and now Casboult who comes with injury and possible Covid complications.

Bob Neil

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2011
At a table with old friends
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hi Lions folks - I come in peace. I'm interested whether any of you know how many (if any?) Qld/Brisbane-based players were drafted this time around? I don't recall hearing much chatter on local players from Lions or Suns academies but could have missed some...any info appreciated?

jjami15

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hi Lions folks - I come in peace. I'm interested whether any of you know how many (if any?) Qld/Brisbane-based players were drafted this time around? I don't recall hearing much chatter on local players from Lions or Suns academies but could have missed some...any info appreciated?

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
This from the draft board >

The draft was notable for its lack of talent from above the Barassi Line. This was the first draft since 2017 in which no player from outside Victoria, South Australia and Western Australia was chosen in the top 20.
Only one player from NSW/ACT was selected at the draft, GWS Academy member Josh Fahey. There was also one Tasmanian (Sam Banks) chosen at the draft, while the Suns prelisted Bodhi Uwland and Sandy Brock from Queensland and the NT respectively.

Everyone's an expert. (including Knightmare) At the end of the day, nobody knows better than our representatives who understand what we need in list management. (including Knightmare)

Try this for a bit more balanced rating

The Lions got their man and snared Wilmot with their first pick — there were suggestions the club would trade up to help it secure the gun mid-sized intercept defender — then pulled a mini surprise when they took Lohmann with the last pick of the first round. Although rivals were disappointed to miss out on Lohmann, who becomes the latest Ballarat-based jet to join the likes of Hugh McCluggage and Jarrod Berry. They then finished by recruiting Tunstill — a hard-working midfielder with a good inside-outside balance. Lohmann looms as the wildcard of this haul. If it clicks for him at AFL level, Lions fans are in for an exciting ride.

Grade: B

I think the Gold Coast pick makes perfect sense. They certainly don't need more mids which is what the top end of the draft seemed to have on offer, Gibcus aside. And even Gibcus clearly wasn't rated quite as highly by some clubs as we he would. Maybe Rachele but they've got a bit of talent in that role too.

Andrew made the most sense to me. If you look at it, Andrew as a ruckman will take a few years. By that stage, Witts will be 32-33. Perfect handover, all things going to plan.

Andrew as a forward is probably going to be almost a flanker type to start with. They have King and now Chol as stronger bodies. Andrew does fit in that structure. Having 3 talls, at least one of whom can ruck, is most clubs' model.

And if he plays as a defender, he'd be alongside Ballard and Collins, neither of whom are taller than 195cm.

I think if the Suns rated Andrew as a top 5 talent, he made heaps of sense.

This from the draft board >

The draft was notable for its lack of talent from above the Barassi Line. This was the first draft since 2017 in which no player from outside Victoria, South Australia and Western Australia was chosen in the top 20.
Only one player from NSW/ACT was selected at the draft, GWS Academy member Josh Fahey. There was also one Tasmanian (Sam Banks) chosen at the draft, while the Suns prelisted Bodhi Uwland and Sandy Brock from Queensland and the NT respectively.

Yes and there is a notable silence in the media re how OP the academies are. Funny that.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think the Gold Coast pick makes perfect sense. They certainly don't need more mids which is what the top end of the draft seemed to have on offer, Gibcus aside. And even Gibcus clearly wasn't rated quite as highly by some clubs as we he would. Maybe Rachele but they've got a bit of talent in that role too.

Andrew made the most sense to me. If you look at it, Andrew as a ruckman will take a few years. By that stage, Witts will be 32-33. Perfect handover, all things going to plan.

Andrew as a forward is probably going to be almost a flanker type to start with. They have King and now Chol as stronger bodies. Andrew does fit in that structure. Having 3 talls, at least one of whom can ruck, is most clubs' model.

And if he plays as a defender, he'd be alongside Ballard and Collins, neither of whom are taller than 195cm.

I think if the Suns rated Andrew as a top 5 talent, he made heaps of sense.

Nothing would give me greater pleasure than seeing King, Rankine, and Lukosius all resign next year. Don't really have a massive soft spot for the Suns, but I absolutely hate clubs feeding off the carcus of other struggling clubs.

Nothing would give me greater pleasure than seeing King, Rankine, and Lukosius all resign next year. Don't really have a massive soft spot for the Suns, but I absolutely hate clubs feeding off the carcus of other struggling clubs.
I am hoping they don’t resign, that would be a terrible loss.

mattsmob

Club Legend
Feb 14, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
OKC Thunder
I agree, although apparently our salary cap opens up a bit more next year.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
And the Rookie picks from today. Good that Essendon picked up Voss. EDIT: As briztoon mentions below wrong Voss
ICYMI - THE NAB AFL ROOKIE DRAFT
We said it would be quick!!

1. North Melbourne - Jared Polec
2. Collingwood - Charlie Dean
3. Gold Coast - Levi Casboult
4. Adelaide - Ben Davis
5. Hawthorn - Ned Long
6. Carlton - Lachie O'Brien
7. Richmond - Bigoa Nyuon
8. Fremantle - Karl Worner
9. St Kilda - PASS
10. West Coast - PASS
11. Essendon - Patrick Voss
12. Sydney - Lewis Taylor
13. GWS - Cooper Hamilton
14. Brisbane - Cam Ellis-Yolmen
15. Geelong - Oliver Dempsey
16. Port Adelaide - Trent Dumont
17. Western Bulldogs - Charlie Parker
18. Melbourne - Judd McVee
ROUND TWO
19. North Melbourne - PASS
20. Collingwood - Isaac Chugg
21. Gold Coast - Jez McLennan
22. Hawthorn - PASS
23. Carlton - Matt Cottrell
24. Fremantle - Mitch Crowden
25. St Kilda - PASS
26. Essendon - PASS
27. Sydney - PASS
28. GWS - Jacob Wehr
29. Geelong - PASS
30. Port Adelaide - Sam Mayes
31. Western Bulldogs - Robbie McComb
ROUND THREE
32. Gold Coast - PASS
33. Fremantle - Connor Blakely
34. Essendon - PASS
35. Gold Coast - Sandy Brock
36. Gold Coast - Bodhi Uwland

Last edited:

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
And the Rookie picks from today. Good that Essendon picked up Voss.
ICYMI - THE NAB AFL ROOKIE DRAFT
We said it would be quick!!

1. North Melbourne - Jared Polec
2. Collingwood - Charlie Dean
3. Gold Coast - Levi Casboult
4. Adelaide - Ben Davis
5. Hawthorn - Ned Long
6. Carlton - Lachie O'Brien
7. Richmond - Bigoa Nyuon
8. Fremantle - Karl Worner
9. St Kilda - PASS
10. West Coast - PASS
11. Essendon - Patrick Voss
12. Sydney - Lewis Taylor
13. GWS - Cooper Hamilton
14. Brisbane - Cam Ellis-Yolmen
15. Geelong - Oliver Dempsey
16. Port Adelaide - Trent Dumont
17. Western Bulldogs - Charlie Parker
18. Melbourne - Judd McVee
ROUND TWO
19. North Melbourne - PASS
20. Collingwood - Isaac Chugg
21. Gold Coast - Jez McLennan
22. Hawthorn - PASS
23. Carlton - Matt Cottrell
24. Fremantle - Mitch Crowden
25. St Kilda - PASS
26. Essendon - PASS
27. Sydney - PASS
28. GWS - Jacob Wehr
29. Geelong - PASS
30. Port Adelaide - Sam Mayes
31. Western Bulldogs - Robbie McComb
ROUND THREE
32. Gold Coast - PASS
33. Fremantle - Connor Blakely
34. Essendon - PASS
35. Gold Coast - Sandy Brock
36. Gold Coast - Bodhi Uwland
Wrong Voss. Casey Voss is Michael Voss’s son.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Wrong Voss. Casey Voss is Michael Voss’s son.
Thanks for the heads up. I should not assume things

However i could have doubled down and say i did not mention Michael as i am never, never, never wrong :)
But of course i did assume it was Michael's son.

DevRoboGun

Debutant
Nov 26, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The other thing with Tunstill is that he really needs to work on his tackling. Lots of half hearted arm tackles and grabbing type interactions which are easily broken. Something he will definitely need to improve.

He looks smart and silky to me. I imagine there’s been plenty of good AFL players who weren’t great tacklers in grade 12…

Back