List Mgmt. List Management Discussion for 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. Speaks volumes when none get picked up by any of the other 17 clubs.

I certainly don't wish those 3 any ill will and if they got picked up again I would have been delight for them. However some of the whining about those 3 in particular on the socials was just insane and not remotely in keeping with what any of them had ever delivered on the field. Best one was the person who had argued with me about Greaves and said he was a 'jet' - I mean really?

I'm even more surprised we didn't move Mitchell or JOM on given we've drafted Ward, MacDonald, Strong Long and Butler who can also roll through the middle.

You can't move what you can't sell. I think the drafting strategy demonstrates that midfield regeneration was high on the club's list of priorities - but if clubs weren't willing to make a decent offer, or any offer for that matter, for O'Meara and Mitchell it's a moot point. I think it does tend to confirm that we were likely to accept any offer the club felt was sufficient to offload either.

I'm even more surprised we didn't move Mitchell or JOM on given we've drafted Ward, MacDonald, Strong Long and Butler who can also roll through the middle.

They are all pups though.
They could need 2 or 3 years before they develop into genuine replacements for Titch and JOM.

We really decided to try and trade out plays in the worst year for it.

The main reason being that other clubs didn’t have the salary cap space to make the trades but the underlying reason was also that they rated this draft, and with the question marks over next years draft they didn’t want to trade out of this one and have two years of substandard drafting on their hands.

Does it change in 12 months time, and are clubs more confident in where their cap is at, and with trading out of the first round? Possibly.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
You can't move what you can't sell. I think the drafting strategy demonstrates that midfield regeneration was high on the club's list of priorities - but if clubs weren't willing to make a decent offer, or any offer for that matter, for O'Meara and Mitchell it's a moot point. I think it does tend to confirm that we were likely to accept any offer the club felt was sufficient to offload either.

Definitely high on the list, and the played aren't really one dimensional like Worpel and Mitchell (and maybe the Duke too?). You can argue that all the youngest midfielders a can play multiple roles for the club:

- Nash: inside and extremely dynamic
- Maginess: inside/outside with incredible tank
- Ward: seamlessly inside/outside
- MacDonald: inside/outside/forward
- Long: inside/forward marking option

- Butler: HFF/role through the middle, dynamic
- Mitchell: HFF/role through the middle, lightning

Only Wingard of our current group, and to a lesser extent JOM can offer any versatility.

Last edited:

Lickmesocks

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn

I’m hoping the fact someone like O’meara didn’t attract any decent offers will fire him up for next year and get him out of second gear.

Mitchell has said in the past that his focus with the list is building a flag winning team in 5 years. The decisions in the draft seem to reinforce that. Those older blokes are unlikely to be there for the next tilt unless one can slip into a Crawf / Burgoyne like late career, but I suspect he’ll be looking to move them on over the next few seasons.

burner1

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
hawks
73034453, member: 199931"]
I’m hoping the fact someone like O’meara didn’t attract any decent offers will fire him up for next year and get him out of second gear.
[/QUOTE]
That’s if he makes it through preseason after being battered by Nash and Jai and run off feet by Finn and Ward every session. Midfield battles over preseason will be interesting.

Slainte

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Hawthorn
73034453, member: 199931"]
That’s if he makes it through preseason after being battered by Nash and Jai and run off feet by Finn and Ward every session. Midfield battles over preseason will be interesting.
[/QUOTE]
Battered by Nash, Jai and Long.

I would still have my money on O'Meara to stand up to any amount of battering and running. He is pretty resilient and backs himself in. The old codgers like JOM, TM and Wingard won't be tossing in the towel just because there are some new kids on the block.

theiaofseed

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We really decided to try and trade out plays in the worst year for it.

The main reason being that other clubs didn’t have the salary cap space to make the trades but the underlying reason was also that they rated this draft, and with the question marks over next years draft they didn’t want to trade out of this one and have two years of substandard drafting on their hands.

Does it change in 12 months time, and are clubs more confident in where their cap is at, and with trading out of the first round? Possibly.
I think its a sure thing though 12 months of selling and aging will decrease the return, not the worse thing though it's the one part of the ground I struggle to replace the old with the young.

List breakdown (by position)

Small defenders
Impey (26)
Hardwick (24)
Bramble (23)
Jiath (22

Medium defenders
Sicily (26)
Day (20)
Scrimshaw (23)
Morris (20)

Key defenders
Hartigan (30)
Frost (28)
Grainger-Barras (19)

Inside Midfielders
Mitchell (28)
Worpel (22)
O’Meara (27)
Shiels (29)
Maginness (20)
Newcombe (20)
MacDonald (18)
Long (18)
O’Hara (19)

Outside midfielders
Morrison (23)
Phillips (25)
Downie (19)
Ward (18)
Saunders (19)

Medium forwards
Gunston (30)
Serong (18)
Butler (18)
S.Mitchell (19)

Small forwards
Breust (31)
Wingard (28)
Moore (22)
Brockman (19)

Key forwards
Lewis (23)
Koschitzke (21)
Jeka (20)
Callow (19)

Rucks
McEvoy (32)
Reeves (23)
Lynch (23)

Utilities
Howe (25)
Nash (23)

Easy Slips Catch

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 10, 2006
Fringe
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
So for all the social media tears from the armchair pundits over the delisting of Cousins, Greaves and Hanrahan - it would seem our list management team once again knows more than the collective wisdom of people who comment on Facebook/Instagram. Amazing really.
They never ever get it wrong. Dunno how anyone could doubt them. Ever.

Slainte

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Small defenders
Impey
Hardwick
Bramble
Jiath

Medium defenders
Sicily
Day
Scrimshaw
Morris

Key defenders
Hartigan
Frost
Grainger-Barras

Inside Midfielders
Mitchell
Worpel
O’Meara
Shiels
Maginness
Newcombe
MacDonald
Long
O’Hara

Outside midfielders
Morrison
Phillips
Downie
Ward
Saunders

Medium forwards
Gunston
Serong
Butler
S.Mitchell

Small forwards
Breust
Wingard
Brockman
Moore

Key forwards
Lewis
Koschitzke
Jeka
Callow

Rucks
McEvoy
Reeves
Lynch

Utilities
Howe
Nash
That looks about right except Nash may be more of an inside mid and O'Hara more of an outside mid.

The dearth of KPDs is a worry - especially given the age of Hartigan and Frost.

That looks about right except Nash may be more of an inside mid and O'Hara more of an outside mid.

The dearth of KPDs is a worry - especially given the age of Hartigan and Frost.

Another key defender would be ideal. There is one more spot on the senior list to fill.

I'm not surprised. We didn't need to move players on to make way for the mids we drafted because we had woeful midfield depth to begin with. This is just bringing us back to a position where we have some depth and flexibility.

sohsam

All Australian
Oct 5, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I am surprised we did not trade down our first pick to get more mids, imagine if as example traded with Richmond to get pick in teens, 2 more picks in 20s (we split one of 20s to two 30s again). We could had Johnson, Taylor, Draper, Sonsie added onto our existing MacDonald, Butler, Long. It is interesting that we could not fit Bazzo in there somewhere.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
So for all the social media tears from the armchair pundits over the delisting of Cousins, Greaves and Hanrahan - it would seem our list management team once again knows more than the collective wisdom of people who comment on Facebook/Instagram. Amazing really.
Wait people were upset about those delistings? LMFAO why?

I love everyone that plays for the Hawks but dang i wasn't too upset to see us moving on from those guys. EXTREMELY limited footballers

Wait people were upset about those delistings? LMFAO why?

I love everyone that plays for the Hawks but dang i wasn't too upset to see us moving on from those guys. EXTREMELY limited footballers

It was so very weird. Some were honestly acting like Cousins and Greaves were the next Cotchin and Rance.

Tony3163

Team Captain
Dec 13, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Small defenders
Impey (26)
Hardwick (24)
Bramble (23)
Jiath (22

Medium defenders
Sicily (26)
Day (20)
Scrimshaw (23)
Morris (20)

Key defenders
Hartigan (30)
Frost (28)
Grainger-Barras (19)

Inside Midfielders
Mitchell (28)
Worpel (22)
O’Meara (27)
Shiels (29)
Maginness (20)
Newcombe (20)
MacDonald (18)
Long (18)
O’Hara (19)

Outside midfielders
Morrison (23)
Phillips (25)
Downie (19)
Ward (18)
Saunders (19)

Medium forwards
Gunston (30)
Serong (18)
Butler (18)
S.Mitchell (19)

Small forwards
Breust (31)
Wingard (28)
Moore (22)
Brockman (19)

Key forwards
Lewis (23)
Koschitzke (21)
Jeka (20)
Callow (19)

Rucks
McEvoy (32)
Reeves (23)
Lynch (23)

Utilities
Howe (25)
Nash (23)
I get the sense the Mitchell is thinking of developing Callow as a defender. 🤷‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back