Footy Dept. Soon to be ex-GM - List & Recruiting Adrian Dodoro #putoutyourjackets

Remove this Banner Ad

Cliff notes:
  • Stepping back from his current senior role following the 2023 AFL Draft
  • Transition plan, raised the possibility with Vozzo in April
  • Replacement is Matt Rosa, whose thread is here: Welcome to Essendon Matthew Rosa – AFL Talent & Operations Manager!
Full text from media release said:
To coincide with this announcement, the Club’s General Manager of List and Recruiting, Adrian Dodoro, has made the decision to take a step back from his current senior role following this year’s NAB AFL National Draft. He will lead the Club through the upcoming 2023 Trade and Draft period in his current position prior to transitioning to and assisting Matt Rosa moving forward.
Dodoro, an Essendon Life Member, has played a significant role at the Bombers over nearly three decades and said the time was right to take a step back.
“I approached Craig back in April to discuss the concept of transition and I feel that now is the right time to make this decision,” Dodoro said.
"I sat on the panel to assist in the selection of Matt, and I believe he will be an outstanding acquisition to the Club for years to come. I look forward to working with Matt moving forward.
“These roles are very taxing on individuals and their families and it just feels like that. After nearly three decades and with stability in key roles at the Club, now is the right time for me to take a step back in to a role which will provide me and my family with a better work life balance.
“More immediately, we have an important few months coming up and I’m looking forward to playing my part to deliver a strong Trade and Draft period for the Club to ensure that the playing list is in a strong position for the future.”
Essendon CEO Craig Vozzo acknowledged the significant impact Dodoro has made at the Club since joining in a full-time role in 1998.
“Adrian is a highly respected Life Member of the Essendon Football Club and has made an enormous contribution to the Club and the wider AFL industry during his time in football, including assisting to navigate the Club through unprecedented and challenging periods,” Vozzo said.
“Throughout his time at the Bombers, Adrian’s commitment and passion to take the Club forward in its list management and recruiting, has been unquestionable. Some of the Champions of Essendon have been identified and selected by Adrian, and we will always be grateful for the important and enduring role he has played.
“On behalf of the entire Club, we would like to acknowledge Adrian’s selfless decision and we look forward to his ongoing contribution to the Club.
“Adrian will work with Matt to ensure a smooth hand-over and a successful transition of responsibilities.”

Maybe I've got my Essendon rose coloured glasses on but doesn't look that bad. 2017/18 weak (Ham and Caldwell might still be good players - Durham should make it) but Jones is a bloody good pickup in 2019 and I've got high hopes for Bryan as well. Still time for McBride, Cahill and Hird but I'm most optimistic for Hird of that lot.

The 2016 draft is the draft that underpins our current list really. Pivotal players there that will lead us forward. 2020 is more the excitement and potential draft for the next few years.
If Caldwell can shake the injury curse, he will be gold.

For the second year in a row I've liked our first round pick/s. I think Dodo is going well at the moment and building us a solid list, with an eye to the future. I mean, we made finals this year and still ended up with an inside mid bull who was projected to go around top 5. I think even if he wastes the third rounders it's still a good draft for us with Hobbs.

For the second year in a row I've liked our first round pick/s. I think Dodo is going well at the moment and building us a solid list, with an eye to the future. I mean, we made finals this year and still ended up with an inside mid bull who was projected to go around top 5. I think even if he wastes the third rounders it's still a good draft for us with Hobbs.
Maybe coz Rob Forster-Knight is the draft guy now 🤔 or maybe Rutten’s influence

Maybe coz Rob Forster-Knight is the draft guy now 🤔 or maybe Rutten’s influence

It may just be that we have a united group. Lost manager, "draft guy", coach are all on same page so it is a consistent vision.

I must say the Rutten influence is practically deafening. You can listen to him speak and then name the players he would play, or pick in a draft.
Has a very clear style, type that he wants.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching what goes on inside our ‘war room’. If you don’t think Dodoro is still running the show, your lying to yourself

Absolutely pulling the strings still

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well he is the General Manager of List and Recruiting.

Still undervalues the midfield. If Hobbs plays early we will arguably have zero young midfielders developing in the VFL next year.

And no small forwards on the AFL list (concurrently) in the VFL either

** Yes, I am aware the Davey twins are coming but that is still12 months away**

Still undervalues the midfield. If Hobbs plays early we will arguably have zero young midfielders developing in the VFL next year.

I get the sense Taylor or Draper were two we had lined up before that Lord selection.

There’s some big midfielders still available so I wouldn’t mind a rookie spot used on one, and another on a small forward.

Just making a point that he apparently doesn't do the drafting, that is RFK. He does

RFK does the scouting doesn’t he? Dodoro still makes the final decision in conjunction with the rest of the group, which I don’t think anyone says he doesn’t have input or sway over.

And no small forwards on the AFL list (concurrently) in the VFL either

** Yes, I am aware the Davey twins are coming but that is still12 months away**

Hird? Waterman will battle for senior gametime and will play as a small forward at VFL level, Perkins might be sent back to find bit of touch and work on some things and won’t play 100% midfield time. We will probably rookie one tomorrow or through the SSP. And yes the Daveys are coming, this is why we are not taking small forwards in the draft now.

Stop using words you don’t understand to make a point that makes any sense.

Hird? Waterman will battle for senior gametime and will play as a small forward at VFL level, Perkins might be sent back to find bit of touch and work on some things and won’t play 100% midfield time. We will probably rookie one tomorrow or through the SSP. And yes the Daveys are coming, this is why we are not taking small forwards in the draft now.

Stop using words you don’t understand to make a point that makes any sense.

Second post you've been rude in now mate, give it a rest.

None are crumbers, mercurial types on the list right now. Yes, am well aware the rookie draft is tomorrow and that may change my opinion of how the list looks now but to suggest we are fine for small forwards is a bit of a fallacy.

As you of all people have been suggesting (re Ben Hobbs), height is not everything. Waterman may be 183cm but plays like a 189cm fwd who relies on power and marking more than the ball hitting the deck like the type of player I am referring too.

Second post you've been rude in now mate, give it a rest.

None are crumbers, mercurial types on the list right now. Yes, am well aware the rookie draft is tomorrow and that may change my opinion of how the list looks now but to suggest we are fine for small forwards is a bit of a fallacy.

As you of all people have been suggesting (re Ben Hobbs), height is not everything. Waterman may be 183cm but plays like a 189cm fwd who relies on power and marking more than the ball hitting the deck like the type of player I am referring too.

With all due respect I think your takes have been all over the shop and all I’ve been doing is trying to calm you down

With all due respect I think your takes have been all over the shop and all I’ve been doing is trying to calm you down

I agree with Yoda quite a bit regarding our list management. We have an above average list and Adrian is probably above average list manager. Biggest knock is I don't think we have any plays in the top 3 - maybe even top 5 in the comp for there position. Maybe Ridley but ive put McGovern, Stewart, lever a step above in same role.

I think that's ultimately what wins flags and finals. We to draft the same, content with the same and leaves us with a team full of good players, role players but not capable of much more.

We also let list cloggers hang around for a year or two to long. Be interesting to see thoughts and suggestions on who is likely to be top 3 in there position. Cox? Also whilst these kids will likely have good careers none spring out as superstars.

Those who know Hobbs could his ceiling be best insider mid in comp? - height/size profile to me says no but no shame in playing 200 games - still a good pick but think finding the super elite is our weakness

Remove this Banner Ad

Back