Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Ned Long Pick 5, 2021 Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

its a mystery to me why things happen in the draft sometimes, he was touted as a top 30 pre season, killed it in his 4-5 games he played before injury, averaging 20-odd disposals and 2 goals a game playing 60/40 mid and forward, missed out on the state games because of injury and maybe clubs were a little worried about injury and maybe athleticism, as clubs usually over rate athletic qualities over bravery, determination, strength of will, footy IQ and footy Ability ect which i believe he has.
If long and callow both make it as afl players, it may prompt a large rethink among recruiters. But if but we are the ones that will benefit from taking the risk of it pays off.

Our big tank can run as well.

View attachment 1288110
View attachment 1288111

I genuinely can't believe he slipped to the rookie draft, his exposed form and physical traits surely make him worth a gamble somewhere in the national draft.

Clubs know a hell of a lot more than me but i am stoked to get him, low risk high reward!

With his all round game, bigger physique, decent to good hands in marking contests, forward nous, nice skills and balance, great tank for some repeat efforts, I'm going with a throwback Hawk for possible comparison.
We had a fella by the name of Russell Morris back in the 80's who coulda been anything his star shone so bright early in his career. Good size, could really get on the gallop leading up out of the forward line or run through the middle/wings, very nice mark, could slot a goal.......we had a star in the making.
He got taken out behind play one day by a scray's man called Jimmy Edmonds, broke his jaw from memory, and from that day on ole Russell could never quite find the groove again. His confidence was shattered near as bad as his face and he never loved standing under the high ball again or he'd run himself out of the marking contest.

I could really see Ned, if he tracks right and plays with undiluted confidence, maybe finding a similar role up forward for us.
Not KPP, not medium or small forward, just that tweener size who can do everything including tackle and go all day. Hird Lite-Lite if you like.

Anyways, really pulling for the kid.
Lets go.

its a mystery to me why things happen in the draft sometimes, he was touted as a top 30 pre season, killed it in his 4-5 games he played before injury, averaging 20-odd disposals and 2 goals a game playing 60/40 mid and forward, missed out on the state games because of injury and maybe clubs were a little worried about injury and maybe athleticism, as clubs usually over rate athletic qualities over bravery, determination, strength of will, footy IQ and footy Ability ect which i believe he has.
Have you seen him play, Davo-27 ?

As a mid, is he first to the ball at the stoppage by bustling other kids out or does he read it well? Any feel for his clearance work?

I'd love us to have a big bodied mid on the outside, with an attacking mindset. I think Nash, Duke & probs Finn are defensively minded (or made to play that way), but it'd be nice to see us use some size to attacking advantage - force other clubs into the dilemma that we've faced the last few years (how to stop big midfielders bollocking through our midfield setup).

Jono Brown will insist we exploited Free Agency...
Did we not? I remember us picking up a bloke who won a VFL and an AFL premiership in the space of a week. Name another club who's done that!

Did we not? I remember us picking up a bloke who won a VFL and an AFL premiership in the space of a week. Name another club who's done that!
The rest of the world was just lucky it wasn't an Olympic year or he'd probs have completed the Trifecta!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With his all round game, bigger physique, decent to good hands in marking contests, forward nous, nice skills and balance, great tank for some repeat efforts, I'm going with a throwback Hawk for possible comparison.
We had a fella by the name of Russell Morris back in the 80's who coulda been anything his star shone so bright early in his career. Good size, could really get on the gallop leading up out of the forward line or run through the middle/wings, very nice mark, could slot a goal.......we had a star in the making.
Not KPP, not medium or small forward, just that tweener size who can do everything including tackle and go all day.
Reminiscing about players from that era, I liken Ned to Kanga, John Kennedy Jr. A big body mid who usually played outside on flanks, could kick a bag when played forward, not super quick but athletic and could go all day, not flashy but versatile and dependable.

Reminiscing about players from that era, I liken Ned to Kanga, John Kennedy Jr. A big body mid who usually played outside on flanks, could kick a bag when played forward, not super quick but athletic and could go all day, not flashy but versatile and dependable.

Yup, very similar look. Only thing I'd differ on is that John could REALLY get on his bike and get clear of a contest with the ball when he wanted.
Didn't we call him 'racehorse' back in the day? Maybe I'm mis-remembering....

Had such a hectic day yesterday (working in retail on a local public holiday on Black Friday weekend. Wouldn't reccommend it). Our acquisition of Ned Long just sort of happened without any time to reflect on what he adds to our list.

I'm personally stoked we've managed to grab him as a rookie! Saw him top 30 in many phantom drafts. One early one had us taking him with pick 26. We've secured a bargain based on potential.

I'm pretty firm that Patty Cripps should be on Neds and the clubs mind when developing him. A tall, strong, slower midfielder with obvious skill and talent. He's going to get the most out of himself combining footy IQ with the extra size/strength he's been blessed with.

Considering list management for a second, we've now suddenly created a balanced group whose ceiling could be anything in 5 years time.

Inside mids/accumulators/defensive mids: Mitchell*, O'Meara*, Worpel, Newcombe, Shiels*
Inside/Outside/Balanced mids: Ward, MacDonald, Maginness
Tall/point of difference/dynamic mids: Nash, Long, Howe*
Part time X-factor mids: Wingard*, Butler
Outside/Wing: Downie, Phillips, Bramble, Morrison, Day? Jiath?

*Likely to be gone in 5 years time.

Bases look a lot more covered than they did this time 12 months ago.

Way too early to speculate, but imagine if Long could play midfield with the ability to go forward & contribute deep forward like Dusty, Danger, Cripps & Fyfe do?

Not in the same class or he'd likely not have gone as a Rookie, but that style of versatility - contributing in multiple positions (not just 'resting') - would be huge.

havent seen him play, but based on attributes I'm thinking of Sammy's toughest ever oppone t - Cameron Ling.

Big strong, runs all day - can get forward on occasion for a mark and goal, not exposed defensively. Footy smart to overcome any acceleration/speed issue.

Between Nash (speed) and Long (marking) we have two BIG onballers who could blanket opposition stars.

I think Bramble belongs on that list.

Downie & Phillips a tier below?
Bramble looks to have a freak engine. Keen to see him time trial. Connor macdonald is no slouch. Ran like a 6:10 2km which is top end. No yoyo test this year unfortunately.

Thats what noticed about the mids we brought in. They will all be able to play that run and gun style Sam loves. Think this is also why we overlooked sonsie. Poor engine. Add the new blokes to our current runners and that's some serious petrol tickets

Yup, very similar look. Only thing I'd differ on is that John could REALLY get on his bike and get clear of a contest with the ball when he wanted.
Can’t honestly remember that nick name but I do remember he had the speed to get away when needed. I think the other difference is that Ned seems more capable with overhead marking and could perhaps play the Gunners role down the track combining endurance and forward craft. Looking forward to monitoring his development in the pre season.

Geoff Ablett was racehorse

Thats what noticed about the mids we brought in. They will all be able to play that run and gun style Sam loves. Think this is also why we overlooked sonsie. Poor engine. Add the new blokes to our current runners and that's some serious petrol tickets
I am also really looking forward to a more offensive, high scoring game under Sam, even if we get burned here and there with poor skill/ decision making.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back