Player Watch Charlie Dean

Remove this Banner Ad

Moore
Roughead
Madgen
Keane
Kelly
Wilson

It’s not as if we’ve been short of tall defenders?
Wilson, Madgen and Keane are speculative picks at best. Roughead is 32 and without Moore we were badly exposed. If Moore goes down and you replace him with a like for like, hopefully Dean, then the situation doesn't have to be as dire as the last couple of rounds of 2021 without Moore.
Madgen might be a fighter and have spirit, but he lacks the footy smarts and skills by foot...and hands.
Keane has 5 games, Wilson 4. Tallish, yeah, full of experience, nope.
Dean has a few years behind him already, Madgen, Keane and Wilson don't even have AFL footy behind them really.
Kelly might be made out Glass too.

Wilson, Madgen and Keane are speculative picks at best. Roughead is 32 and without Moore we were badly exposed. If Moore goes down and you replace him with a like for like, hopefully Dean, then the situation doesn't have to be as dire as the last couple of rounds of 2021 without Moore.
Madgen might be a fighter and have spirit, but he lacks the footy smarts and skills by foot...and hands.
Dean has a few years behind him already, Madgen, Keane and Wilson don't even have AFL footy behind them really.
Keane is speculative, Madgen and Wilson have shown they aren’t up to standard. Perhaps a tad harsh on Wilson as he has t had the same run at AFL level. I like what Keane brings in terms of size, athleticism and aggression…all Irish learn to kick. Hope he come on.

I’m a big fan of the Dean selection, perfect age and has demonstrated an ability to play at the senior level.

If he ends up in the backline that'll mean he failed in the forward line, which is where he'll be tried first.
He actually initially started in the forward line, then went into the backline for Sandringham in his bottom-age season, then went forward in his top-age year.

2018 Preliminary Final loss (playing in defence)

#52 Charlie Dean

Another bottom-aged Dragon who impressed behind the play and won plenty of the ball. He looked comfortable defensively and got into smart positions. He is a good size at 194cm and appears to possess flexibility to play different roles in the back half. Dean arguably played his best game to date for Sandringham to finish with 18 disposals and seven marks.

2019 Round 1 (playing in attack)

#12 Charlie Dean

Dean was the dominant big man on the ground kicking five goals, his first came from a nice mark and snap goal in the pocket, not many of his goals came from contested marks with his best contested mark unfortunately resulting in a missed opportunity. Dean’s 3rd goal was a good diving mark and equally a good lead and he would slot the set shot and he would get away from his opponent tin the last quarter kicking two simple goals from getting into space and slotting this set shots. Dean’s clean hands at ground level and over his head where his standout features.

Moore
Roughead
Madgen
Keane
Kelly
Wilson

It’s not as if we’ve been short of tall defenders?
Madgen? Keane ? Kelly? Wilson is he even a tall defender?
For me he is another lock down tall. He frees up Moore to become a fully intercept defender. He makes Roughead less accountable and more able to intercept. For me he is the number one lock down defender which frees up the rest of the tall players to intercept.
As for the rest you mentioned. Most are poor or untried lock down defenders on talls.

Please.

Moore was a father son, Roughead was recruited as Buckley's favourite type, hybrid ruckman/forward in the Leigh Brown mould, and was put back because of a great need. The other ones you mentioned are hardly great players, although the jury is out on Keane and Kelly.

I'm talking about a purpose built recruited tall.

P.S. Please don't mention Madgen and Wilson as tall defenders.

Not sure on the relevance of any of that but Roughy definitely recruited as a tall defender.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

World order has been restored, TD is back as the thread starter.
I merged all the discussion about CD into this thread.
All posts are time stamped and I didn’t realise at the time Kap posted some 20 seconds earlier than TD.
This means he by default becomes the thread starter.
Sorry TradeDraft for the confusion and Kappa for the unwarranted bagging in this instance.

FYI Gone Critical jathanas Maggie5

All posts are time stamped and I didn’t realise at the time Kap posted some 20 seconds earlier than TD.
Sorry TradeDraft for the confusion and Kappa for the unwarranted bagging in this instance.

LOL

Being the Fothergill-Round-Mitchell Medal winner this year is a huge plus but I am always a little concerned when the club shows highlights from what seems like a single game. Having said that he seems like a reasonably reliable defender and as a Rookie selection is a good pick up. I'm sure he will complement our defence. Best wishes to the young lad.

Good rookie selection. Give him a year in the system and see if he’s got the goods.
Agreed. At least he's shown he can play and has a football brain. Unlike some of those random code hopping project players who wouldnt have a clue.

Controversy will always reign over this thread, as I think the process described may make you the thread starter and thus the evil usurper.

Being the Fothergill-Round-Mitchell Medal winner this year is a huge plus but I am always a little concerned when the club shows highlights from what seems like a single game. Having said that he seems like a reasonably reliable defender and as a Rookie selection is a good pick up. I'm sure he will complement our defence. Best wishes to the young lad.

Agreed although what I’m looking for in a lockdown key defender probably doesn’t make a great highlights reel. That was about it though. Closed down options , spoiled, defended grimly and looked ok by foot which I think is critical.

That last part is what I felt let Nathan Brown down. I always felt like when he took a mark you close down the handball and naked him kick and there was always the option he’d give it back as his boot let him down.

Dean looks ok by foot to me.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Please.

Moore was a father son, Roughead was recruited as Buckley's favourite type, hybrid ruckman/forward in the Leigh Brown mould, and was put back because of a great need. The other ones you mentioned are hardly great players, although the jury is out on Keane and Kelly.

I'm talking about a purpose built recruited tall.

P.S. Please don't mention Madgen and Wilson as tall defenders.
Madgen? Keane ? Kelly? Wilson is he even a tall defender?
For me he is another lock down tall. He frees up Moore to become a fully intercept defender. He makes Roughead less accountable and more able to intercept. For me he is the number one lock down defender which frees up the rest of the tall players to intercept.
As for the rest you mentioned. Most are poor or untried lock down defenders on talls.

Moore and Roughead obviously have the runs on the board.

As for the others, they must have shown something to earn contract extensions?

Controversy will always reign over this thread, as I think the process described may make you the thread starter and thus the evil usurper.
Controversy can be contrived by those discontented with the status quo.

As for me TD works harder at it and takes more pride in it than the half baked Johnny come earlies who are happy to flout site rules by refusing to wait for official club confirmation because they are so intent on 'being the one'.

Okay Sorry Kappa for the Mis-Understanding

Remove this Banner Ad

Back