List Mgmt. 2021 Trade and List Management thread III. IN: CCJ

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au
Yep. Bonar is the perfect match up for those really tough tweener medium forwards, the Cam Zurhaars of the opposition if you like. Judging by his profile and highlights, I see Goater as more of like an athletic half back who can do a bit of intercepting but also attack off half back, bit like a shorter Ridley maybe.

Bonar needs a bit of 1 on 1 work with Spud to work on his body contests

Krakoueraddict

Team Captain
May 8, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Bon was just about the only shining light in the first handful of rounds, then De Goey got a hold of him, then he got injured, then he didn't recapture that early season form when he came back in. If he can have an uninterrupted pre season and stay healthy he's a lock as the deep medium defender for mine. If he struggles with his body again that could be it for him.

WE HAVE NO SPACE, WE ARE FULL UP WITH LYNCH TAKING THE LAST ROOKIE SPOT. WE HOWEVER DO HAVE A CATAGORY B SPOT AVAILABLE. Ok cool so we don't have to repeat ourselves anymore.
We actually have 2 cat b spots we can fill Now as all clubs can have 3

I’d throw a tassie nga kid (eg jonty mcivor) there then get some young athletic gun Gaelic player

give lynch some more work if he’s going to take up a spot too

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We actually have 2 cat b spots we can fill Now as all clubs can have 3

I’d throw a tassie nga kid (eg jonty mcivor) there then get some young athletic gun Gaelic player

give lynch some more work if he’s going to take up a spot too
I'd poach some beefy American footballer who can run for days and take a mark. Play them as a KPD and watch opposition try to push them out of a contest. Outside of the ruck it's probably the best position for someone who's new to footy.

I don't think people should be too quick to judge Bonar, he had two ACLs before he was 18 so he missed out on a lot of junior development. I don't know if he is going to make it or not but he hasn't really played as a defender before, it is going to be a hard caper to learn if your midfield isn't putting a whole lot of pressure on the opposition.

I wouldn't call it a mistake... but I think he should have been developed as an inside big bodied midfielder to eventually replace Cunnington. He had the aggression as a junior, he lacked the tank due to the ACLs limited his running but in the combine he ran 2.90 and agility test was 8.30 which are very good, he would slow down as he bulked up and matured but I think he had a lot of potential. That inside role sometimes takes a while for players to develop and clubs often make incorrect/hasty decisions with inside mids.

I am less optimistic about him making it as a defender, doesn't mean he wont, and he looked okay early in the year before he was exposed one-out against Collingwood, but some just have that natural instinct to defend, the positioning, the body work, reading the play, etc comes easy to them. I don't get that vibe from Bonar, once Perez comes back from injury and if Goater lives up to the hype then the musical chairs down back all of a sudden has a lot fewer chairs.

Bonar is probably in the same position as McDonald, if the club is bringing in players like Goater, Bergmann, etc in and has players like Ziebell and Hall running around back there then it isn't really a ringing endorsement of where it sees it's medium defender stock.

Kangaroo Cat

Club Legend
Jun 2, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don't think people should be too quick to judge Bonar, he had two ACLs before he was 18 so he missed out on a lot of junior development. I don't know if he is going to make it or not but he hasn't really played as a defender before, it is going to be a hard caper to learn if your midfield isn't putting a whole lot of pressure on the opposition.

I wouldn't call it a mistake... but I think he should have been developed as an inside big bodied midfielder to eventually replace Cunnington. He had the aggression as a junior, he lacked the tank due to the ACLs limited his running but in the combine he ran 2.90 and agility test was 8.30 which are very good, he would slow down as he bulked up and matured but I think he had a lot of potential. That inside role sometimes takes a while for players to develop and clubs often make incorrect/hasty decisions with inside mids.

I am less optimistic about him making it as a defender, doesn't mean he wont, and he looked okay early in the year before he was exposed one-out against Collingwood, but some just have that natural instinct to defend, the positioning, the body work, reading the play, etc comes easy to them. I don't get that vibe from Bonar, once Perez comes back from injury and if Goater lives up to the hype then the musical chairs down back all of a sudden has a lot fewer chairs.

Bonar is probably in the same position as McDonald, if the club is bringing in players like Goater, Bergmann, etc in and has players like Ziebell and Hall running around back there then it isn't really a ringing endorsement of where it sees it's medium defender stock.
That pies game could have been a valuable source of development but instead he got injured and had to focus on that instead. I would love to see what he could do with a consistent season

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne

The question is would you as a recruiter keep bonar/hayden on the list if they weren't playing consistent footy and still had a lot to learn about the position? Would you be content on having another durdin type who came in for a few games a year but was never really best 22? Obviously give him time but there's a reason why we keep drawing defensive depth and it's gotta be because the 20 something year olds just aren't cutting it. If Bonar breaks into the side and plays 10+ decent games I'll be happy, otherwise it's time to look at the contact if he's up for renewal.

Mar 23, 2001
Forever Death riding *
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wildcats/Pacers/Chelsea/Scorchers
WE HAVE NO SPACE, WE ARE FULL UP WITH LYNCH TAKING THE LAST ROOKIE SPOT. WE HOWEVER DO HAVE A CATAGORY B SPOT AVAILABLE. Ok cool so we don't have to repeat ourselves anymore. *2 Cat B spots
Do we still have one spot free though?..

remfan101

Club Legend
Oct 23, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yep. Bonar is the perfect match up for those really tough tweener medium forwards, the Cam Zurhaars of the opposition if you like. Judging by his profile and highlights, I see Goater as more of like an athletic half back who can do a bit of intercepting but also attack off half back, bit like a shorter Ridley maybe.
Might just be the hair, but he reminds me a fair bit of Mason Redman from * as well, although a more athletic/dynamic version.

May 20, 2009
coburg
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Last year we had a list of 44 including McGuiness as a Cat b rookie. Currently we have 42 with Lynch to come so do we have a spot left?
At the midseason draft we took Ham as our second pick by pushing a player on the list already to the LTI list.
That pushed our main list (+cat A rookie list) to 43.
It needs to be 42.
for the 1000th time.
Read the whole thread please.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
At the midseason draft we took Ham as our second pick by pushing a player on the list already to the LTI list.
That pushed our main list (+cat A rookie list) to 43.
It needs to be 42.
for the 1000th time.
Read the whole thread please.
I tried..

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
1638311087237.png

Oct 12, 2008
The North of Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne

i think he's a ziebell type (big body, fast and aggressive, turning circle of the titanic) and moving him back there now instead of at age 30 was a wise move

I am very disappointed in you giantroo , You never mentioned we have a new Cat B listed player:

North Melbourne

1638339646336.png

I want to hear more about his finger licking goodness

Back