News Swans Talk in the Media: 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Announcement: Swans YouTube Channel
So thanks to the awesome Kennedy Parker you will notice a sticky post at the top of the pages now. This link will take you directly to the Swans YouTube channel which features interviews etc.

Interesting thoughts from Simon at the end there when he says he's of the opinion you can never have too many mids. Just look at the Bulldogs midfield which he pretty much drafted himself, widely considered one of the best midfields in the comp and too many mids to fit them all in. Could we be heading in the same direction?
AT LEAST WE DON'T HAVE TO CHEAT

Interesting thoughts from Simon at the end there when he says he's of the opinion you can never have too many mids. Just look at the Bulldogs midfield which he pretty much drafted himself, widely considered one of the best midfields in the comp and too many mids to fit them all in. Could we be heading in the same direction?
At least for now.

I think is true though. You can have list weaknesses in a few areas but can still remain competitive with a solid midfield group.

And it is always reassuring to have a group of young midfielders coming through.

Looking at some of the other clubs with older lists about to rebuild, their main worry is finding that next generation of midfielders.

27NOV21: Heeney Contract Talks/Multi
I certainly hope we'll have a defence that can hold up better, in case our Dalrymple picked midfield gets overrun completely.

I think the approach you take is that decent midfielders are always in demand, if your recruiting is very good you don't hold onto them all like a dragon and its treasure you use the GWS approach and trade out the ones that dont fit into you midfield setup to improve your draft position or to get other players in that fill needs.

I wouldn't be throwing a ridiculous amount at him if a North like offer comes again. Not after all the ankle & hand injuries he's had. Pay him well & for 4 years but let them go if they think they are Buddy.

He received 8 Brownlow votes for 2021. He's not within a bulls roar of winning it. He can't demand that A level pay. He is a quality player but just below the elite level and pay should accord

Rumours were that he has been on 900K a season. No doubt gets some AFL ambassador money and does a lot of PR for the club. Personally think 800K should be upper limit of what he is currently worth. Can be a matchwinner but has missed a lot of football and hasn't quite reached that level of consistency to be paid more than that. It would still make him the second highest earner behind Buddy.
I think Parker probably deserves to be paid more given his output and consistency but probably isn't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rumours were that he has been on 900K a season. No doubt gets some AFL ambassador money and does a lot of PR for the club. Personally think 800K should be upper limit of what he is currently worth. Can be a matchwinner but has missed a lot of football and hasn't quite reached that level of consistency to be paid more than that. It would still make him the second highest earner behind Buddy.
I think Parker probably deserves to be paid more given his output and consistency but probably isn't.

That's the exact figure I had thought too. If he were an elite Brownlow winner then different. He's a quality player but just below that level

Sky News have been running an interview with Ross Greenwood and Andrew Pridham

They discuss private ownership and how AFL clubs are coming into a period of potential wealthy outcomes.

I wasn’t paying attention as it’s on at my Mum’s whilst I’m looking after my boy but I heard the No Dick Head policy get mentioned. Andrew clarified that the actual reference at the time was not too many dick heads.

Interesting (well to me anyway)

Sky News have been running an interview with Ross Greenwood and Andrew Pridham

They discuss private ownership and how AFL clubs are coming into a period of potential wealthy outcomes.

I wasn’t paying attention as it’s on at my Mum’s whilst I’m looking after my boy but I heard the No Dick Head policy get mentioned. Andrew clarified that the actual reference at the time was not too many dick heads.

Interesting (well to me anyway)

Problem is the Chinese real estate market could collapse in the next year which would send China into a very deep recession and likely drag us into it as well, and even if that did not happen inflation is becoming a serious problem in a lot of countries, something that could again cause another recession in the next couple of years.

Problem is the Chinese real estate market could collapse in the next year which would send China into a very deep recession and likely drag us into it as well, and even if that did not happen inflation is becoming a serious problem in a lot of countries, something that could again cause another recession in the next couple of years.

So many unknowns right now - inflation, omicron, Oz election, US political turmoil. The China financial crisis is only more thing. I'm tipping a slow unwinding of the China property market and shadow banking system and then long-term Japanese-style.

But I'm more focused on the big stuff in 2022 - Buddy's 1000th, making the preliminary and a fit and healthy Braeden tearing it up.

Grain of salt and all that, but it is Swans in the media so....

AFL Crystal ball: Jon Ralph’s big early calls for the 2022 season

Has Sydney ranked 7th.

Sydney’s first 22 games, three quarters, nine minutes and 15 seconds of the 2021 season were superb. From then on they kicked five behinds in a row to lose by a point to arch-rival GWS in an elimination final then were distraught to lose Jordan Dawson to Adelaide despite a mega-bucks offer.

But even with the gnashing of teeth over Dawson’s departure, and what could be Lance Franklin’s final year, the Swans are on an upswing.

Let’s remember Dawson wasn’t even playing wing until Round 15.

And then try this exercise: which of the young Swans will be the best of the Cygnets: Logan McDonald, Braeden Campbell, Errol Gulden, Justin McInerney, James Rowbottom, Chad Warner, Sam Wicks, Nick Blakey, Joel Amartey or James Bell?

The kids are coming, and so is Sydney.

Prediction: Lance Franklin signs a modest one-year contract extension for 2023 by Round 15.

FWIW, he has Melbourne going back to back and Adelaide as wooden spooners.

Last edited:
Grain of salt and all that, but it is Swans in the media so....

AFL Crystal ball: Jon Ralph’s big early calls for the 2022 season

Has Sydney ranked 7th.

Sydney’s first 22 games, three quarters, nine minutes and 15 seconds of the 2021 season were superb. From then on they kicked five behinds in a row to lose by a point to arch-rival GWS in an elimination final then were distraught to lose Jordan Dawson to Adelaide despite a mega-bucks offer.

But even with the gnashing of teeth over Dawson’s departure, and what could be Lance Franklin’s final year, the Swans are on an upswing.

Let’s remember Dawson wasn’t even playing wing until Round 15.

And then try this exercise: which of the young Swans will be the best of the Cygnets: Logan McDonald, Braeden Campbell, Errol Gulden, Justin McInerney, James Rowbottom, Chad Warner, Sam Wicks, Nick Blakey, Joel Amartey or James Bell?

The kids are coming, and so is Sydney.

Prediction: Lance Franklin signs a modest one-year contract extension for 2023 by Round 15.

FWIW, he has Melbourne going back to back and Adelaide as wooden spooners.
The best part is the last bit.
Adelaide & Jordan Dawson wooden spooners.
Magic!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back