Player Watch Luke Nankervis - Debut!

Do you think the AFC coaches will pick Luke Nankervis in Round 1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh me? I did try to keep a lid on all that!

Nah I'm a massive wrap for Nank, and first off the bat what I like about him is his eagerness to get drafted interstate, he actually said he preferred the idea of it! Nank's one of those classic athletic flankers with some midfield potential that gets a lot of watchers excited heading into the draft, whilst his speed may not quite be elite, his agility (especially through traffic) and leap are really exciting, especially when he uses them on the lead. I lvoe how he keeps his hands free in traffic as well, just keeps the ball away from opponents and feeds it out quickly.
But the main POD for Nank in my eyes is his workrate and defensive pressure, he works hard up the ground to lay tackles or apply pressure even when he's positioned as a deep forward, and that's something I rate highly amongst youngsters personally.

Brief draft profile I did for him; https://central.rookieme.com/afl/player/luke-nankervis/
What do you mean by "exposure" as a weakness? Just that there wasn't much exposed form and uncertainty as a result? Or something else?

What do you mean by "exposure" as a weakness? Just that there wasn't much exposed form and uncertainty as a result? Or something else?
Just hasn't been in the talent pathways as long as most other prospects, was only invited to Sandringham Dragons late in the 2020 pre-season and hadn't made any rep squads prior to that which some people get a bit nervy about

Amusingly (to me, anyway) after all the talk about needing size and Nankervis finally providing it, he is the lightest of all our draftees.

This is after he "packed 7kg onto his frame" according to the AFC article on him. Kid must have been a serious beanpole!

He's the first player new to AFL taken in the pre-season draft in 9 years

That's pretty astounding, actually.

You've got to go back even further to find a decent one, too. Probably Aaron Hall in 2011, or maybe Michael Hibberd in 2010.

Last edited:
He's the first player new to AFL taken in the pre-season draft in 9 years
The last one the Crows took was approximately 20 years ago at pick 12 named Paul McClain.
e9b0d4d6b96074616e08b54ada55729a.jpg

Sent from my MI PAD 4 using Tapatalk

Amusingly (to me, anyway) after all the talk about needing size and Nankervis finally providing it, he is the lightest of all our draftees.

This is after he "packed 7kg onto his frame" according to the AFC article on him. Kid must have been a serious beanpole!

That's pretty astounding, actually.

You've got to go back even further to find a decent one, too. Probably Aaron Hall in 2011, or maybe Michael Hibberd in 2010.
Gollant did similar has year from memory.

Is there a reason why Adel didn't take him in the national draft with then? Doesn't really make sense

Thought they could get him in the rookie draft and got spooked by another clubs interest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems like the only real difference is that this way we were required to offer him a two year contract. Which, I mean, for a speculative tall, surely you're not thinking he'll prove his worth within 12 months anyway?

I guess there are probably some minor salary implications or something. Still, it seems like a dangerous game to play to say "here is a player we ostensibly rate, but we're going to wait until the rookie draft to take him and risk losing him, just because".

Seems like the only real difference is that this way we were required to offer him a two year contract. Which, I mean, for a speculative tall, surely you're not thinking he'll prove his worth within 12 months anyway?

I guess there are probably some minor salary implications or something. Still, it seems like a dangerous game to play to say "here is a player we ostensibly rate, but we're going to wait until the rookie draft to take him and risk losing him, just because".

But my thoughts are why didn't they take him at pick #55 in the ND or whatever it would have been as we would have been entitled to have another pick if we had a free spot

But my thoughts are why didn't they take him at pick #55 in the ND or whatever it would have been as we would have been entitled to have another pick if we had a free spot

There's a youtube clip posted in here where Hamish says the plan was our first pick in the rookie draft. Then there were whispers he might get taken before our pick so we activated a spot on our list and took him in the preseason draft.

I agree with you. I'm assuming that they didn't because their plan was to rookie him instead, and then only jumped on him at the PSD based on whispers he would be gone before their first rookie pick.

In which case, the question becomes why would our strategy be to wait until the rookie draft to take a player we rated? I agree, it seems kind of bizarre. I can only guess that we wanted the added flexibility of having a senior spot open, shorter contract for Nankervis etc, but it seems like a dangerous game to play when you risk losing the player you want (seemingly the ONLY remaining player we wanted besides Davis).

Does it really matter, we rated him, he's now a Crow and given his football journey thus far and the fact he's only come into an elite system from this season's pre-season training he's undoubtedly a project player. The fact Nankervis has a lot of physical development to come would indicate he's likely to need every day of his 2 year contract to get near full on rat power.

I agree with you. I'm assuming that they didn't because their plan was to rookie him instead, and then only jumped on him at the PSD based on whispers he would be gone before their first rookie pick.

In which case, the question becomes why would our strategy be to wait until the rookie draft to take a player we rated? I agree, it seems kind of bizarre. I can only guess that we wanted the added flexibility of having a senior spot open, shorter contract for Nankervis etc, but it seems like a dangerous game to play when you risk losing the player you want (seemingly the ONLY remaining player we wanted besides Davis).

Hamish also said in that youtube clip that we were only aware of him since his first internal trial this year. Compare that to someone like a Rachele who they have tracked for years.

On the rookie list an Ayce Taylor style delisting would have been an option if we wanted to at the end of next year. Might have been a handy option considering how little we've seen of him.

At the end of the day our love of him (sounds like we fell pretty hard and fast) and ability to secure him outweighed any potential list management flexibility we lost.

yeah but that’s a bit potato pohtato

not clear what meaningful difference, if any is behind it

Between rookie and senior? One less year and we could have upgraded Butts to the senior list this year (noting we're forced into two upgrades next year).

Between rookie and senior? One less year and we could have upgraded Butts to the senior list this year (noting we're forced into two upgrades next year).
It seems to me that the club is not going to go quite so hard at next years draft. We will have picks for rounds one and two and whatever we get from trades and any compensation for those leaving via free agency, but we will not have all that many retiring either. I think we might go close to minimum amounts of draft picks required next year and then do the necessary upgrade of rookies (eg Butts). It is likely we will draft a tall in the main draft, and maybe the best mid available. It is possible we draft a project ruckman in the rookie draft, but 12 months is a long time in football.

Frankly, who cares about third and fourth round picks. As we saw this year, fourth round picks are functionally equivalent to end-of-draft picks, and third round picks aren't much better.

The key thing is we've kept our first two picks. If we have another year like the last two they should net us two very good players.

Back