Player Watch Charlie Dean

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 3, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Liverpool
Agreed although what I’m looking for in a lockdown key defender probably doesn’t make a great highlights reel. That was about it though. Closed down options , spoiled, defended grimly and looked ok by foot which I think is critical.

That last part is what I felt let Nathan Brown down. I always felt like when he took a mark you close down the handball and naked him kick and there was always the option he’d give it back as his boot let him down.

Dean looks ok by foot to me.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
His kicking is a strength. Very solid user for a key defender.

World order has been restored, TD is back as the thread starter.
I merged all the discussion about CD into this thread.
All posts are time stamped and I didn’t realise at the time Kap posted some 20 seconds earlier than TD.
This means he by default becomes the thread starter.
Sorry TradeDraft for the confusion and Kappa for the unwarranted bagging in this instance.

FYI Gone Critical jathanas Maggie5

LOL

EDIT: MyManLynch beat me to it, lol

Herzog

Team Captain
Nov 19, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Doesn’t mean he’s failed anything. It’ll be about where his opportunities come.
The impression I get is that he has been brought over to play full forward and that's where he'll start. So if he ends up in the backline it'll mean playing him at full forward didn't work.

Last edited:

domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
Wow, so that makes Cox’s stats outstanding.
Pass me another straw.
Such a hater. Cox played many solid games. How many other players in the side are expected to have match winning performances on a regular basis?
You don't play 76 games in a side which was contending if you are not playing your role.

Such a hater. Cox played many solid games. How many other players in the side are expected to have match winning performances on a regular basis?
You don't play 76 games in a side which was contending if you are not playing your role.
I’m not a Cox hater at all, and I agree, he played a role. Sometimes well, sometimes not well.

He’s backup only now.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
If you’re prospecting for talls with garbage picks this is the type you go for. A mature age KPD that’s proven at state level so we’ll know whether he’s up to it reasonably quickly. Unlike the Tohill, Keane, Wilson, Cox, Lynch, Faye etc. type who you’ll need 3-4 years minimum to know what you’ve got if he’s not doing it by year 2 he’s not going to. His athleticism at his size could be an issue, but guys like May, McGovern and Henderson get away with it and he’s got a bit to work with given his competitiveness so there’ll be a role there for him if he puts in the work.

Magnanimous

Club Legend
Sep 10, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Looks like a solid pick up considering the current back up KPD and getting at the rookie is a bonus.
Would probably be level pegging a handful of the backs already.
Go well young man

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
Lever reads it beautifully in the air. I wasn't particularly impressed with Dean's highlights package in this regard. Looked a really solid player though.

I was most impressed with Deans field kicking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sounds like a forward, wonder how the club views it
Given he was a forward in his junior days, that makes sense lol But wasnt good enough I guess to be drafted in that role, so when heading to the VFL, they played him in defence which got him noticed

If you’re prospecting for talls with garbage picks this is the type you go for. A mature age KPD that’s proven at state level so we’ll know whether he’s up to it reasonably quickly. Unlike the Tohill, Keane, Wilson, Cox, Lynch, Faye etc. type who you’ll need 3-4 years minimum to know what you’ve got if he’s not doing it by year 2 he’s not going to. His athleticism at his size could be an issue, but guys like May, McGovern and Henderson get away with it and he’s got a bit to work with given his competitiveness so there’ll be a role there for him if he puts in the work.

Largely agree, but by the same token it might be faulty reasoning to think that an 18-year-old draftee is gonna take 3 to 4 years to be ready, but a 20-year-old rookie is ready to go.

Largely agree, but by the same token it might be faulty reasoning to think that an 18-year-old draftee is gonna take 3 to 4 years to be ready, but a 20-year-old rookie is ready to go.
The guys he listed were all converts from other sports, so it made sense.

Mollythedolly

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 21, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
The impression I get is that he has been brought over to play full forward and that's where he'll start. So if he ends up in the backline it'll mean playing him at full forward didn't work.

Really? We’ve added McMahon, Begg, Kreuger, And Johnson as KPF options, no KPD options, and you think we’ve then added Dean as yet another KPF option? Despite him pushing himself into selection discussions as an intercept defender at VFL level?

Interesting.

Really? We’ve added McMahon, Begg, Kreuger, And Johnson as KPF options, no KPD options, and you think we’ve then added Dean as yet another KPF option? Despite him pushing himself into selection discussions as an intercept defender at VFL level?

Interesting.

I think he was talking about Kreuger.

Ingy

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 5, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

Interesting.

He was definitely talking about Kreuger. And he's right

Remove this Banner Ad

Back