B Williams Weitering Newman
HB Stocker McDonald Saad
C Cerra Kennedy Walsh
HF Fisher C.Curnow Silvagni
F Owies McKay Martin
R TDK Cripps Hewitt

In Docherty E.Curnow Dow Honey
E Durdin

Our gameplan was a shambles last year. It did not suit our playing list. Hopefully that gets resolved under Voss.

I think we do away with traditional wing positions. Use our high half forwards, Silvagni, Martin, Fisher Honey to work more up on the wings. Walsh and Cerra to get on the outside and spread from the contest. Cripps, Kennedy on the inside feeding it out. Hewitt and E.Curnow with a defensive mindset in the midfield.

We need to solidify our defensive mindest. I would look at bring in another attacking forward for E.Curnow once we can develop a sustainable gameplan.

Will be following Kemp, Philp, Carrol closely this year.

Cunningham, not sure where he will be at injury wise. When fit he is a automatic best 22 IMO.

So you're penciling him in for a 6 month preseason?
He's going to need it. Chemo and radiation therapy absolutely guts a person. It'll be around 4-6 months before he's fully recovered from that.

Davey33

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Think on 2021 exposed form, Owies gets a gig (well) before Durdin and possibly Fisher too.

Fisher is a mid imo and a different type of mid to most others on our list.

Is Honey picked ahead of Owies or Fisher? Tough one.

Was Cuners at training yesterday?

The knee went mid May - only 6 months back....certainly would be very limited training.

Kennedy? Love the guy, reckon Voss will too.

I think Marchbank (fingers crossed) will be close for Rd 1 but does het get an immediate gong ahead of either Newman or Plowman? (it's a no from me)

When will Doc be able to play??

Young or McGovern? Certainly the fact the young fella is 201cm odd helps his cause....the key forwards aren't getting shorter!

The Guv is versatile too - he's too good to not be in the 22 if fit.

Like others, one Captain. Prefer Weiters.

Those in the wings will press hard too - Carroll, Philp.

Who do we take in the draft?

I'd be talking to LOB/Cotters (has he beefed up or what?) seeing if one would be ok with a SSP spot - then take 2 lives picks in the draft?

A small and a tall.

Unless they have a mature ager in mind in the SSP (KPD type). But that would suggest no faith in OMac, Guv and/or Young....

ps As others have pointed out, it's Honey and Kennedy taking draft spots as rookie upgrades. The other two are promised rookie spots...so that changes the equation. Or can 1 of Honey/Kennedy stay as a rookie.....if there's a will,.....?
Marchbank if fit should be a lock before plowman or newman

Davey33

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Now that we've got Motlop, I'm not too sure who to replace. Fisher or Cuningham?
I think Cuningham offers a bit more.

This looks like a very solid and dangerous team to me.
Let's go - finals bound 2022 :D

FB: Plowman - Young - Marchbank
HB: Saad - Weitering - Williams
C: Docherty - Cripps - Cerra
HF: Cuningham – C.Curnow - Martin
FF: Motlop - McKay - Honey

R: TDK - Walsh - Hewett
Int: Kemp - JSOS – McGovern - Stocker
Sub: Fisher
Hopefully not an injury riddled season

V3 - Final best 22's after drafts...

AFL

FBPlowmanYoungMarchbank
HBStockerWeitering Saad
CWilliamsCrippsMartin
HFOwiesKempMotlop
FFDurdinMcKayC.Curnow
FOLPittonetWalshCerra
BENCHHewett (MID)Fisher (FWD)Silvagni (SWING)De Koning (Ruck/FWD)
23rd ManMcGovern (SWING)

Team offers balance and players whom can play in multiple positions..
  • Marchbank - Too talented to leave out if fit.
  • Stocker & Williams & Cerra Rotations- Would love to see Stocker & Williams move into midfield more,
    Williams - Wing and HBF/ Stocker - HBF and Mid/ Cerra - Mid and Wing
  • Martin & Motlop - To rotate through the Wing and HFF
  • Kemp - Realise Kemp is a defender, but can and has played in each 3rd, would love to see him utilised better as a CHF.
  • Owies & Durdin & Fisher - Owies is a no brainer has best stats of all small forwards, Durdin & Fisher get the nod
    first for their speed, tackling, defensive and aggression.
  • Pittonet & De Koning - Pittonet has earnt the right to be #1 Ruck, he was top 10 Ruck in the league before his injury..
    Not sure about carrying two rucks, though want Young to just focus on being the KPD we need.
    TDK gets a go at Ruck/ Forward before looking at McDonald...
Unavailable LTI
Docherty & Cuningham

Unlucky
Dow, Kennedy, Newman & Curnow

Careers on the Line
Setterfield, LOB, Fogerty, Marchbank, Williamson & Newnes
(McGovern (2023 contracted though)

VFL

FBAkuei*SSP Pick*Boyd
HBWilliamsonParksNewman
CPhilpDowCarroll
HFCurnowMcDonaldHoney
FFFogarty
FOLMirkovSetterfieldKennedy
BENCHLOBCottrellNewnes

Apr 4, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I know Williams was originally earmarked for a midfield role in his trade negotiations but based on what transpired this season is he likely to make a return to midfield or does he stay down back?

Personally I’d rather he stays down back and hence allow more opportunity for Kennedy to play mid. So I guess I’m saying I’d rather Kennedy in mid than Williams.

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
I think Williams plays back for two reasons. He had his chance as a middle last year and was really poor. He played in defence and was crucial, he brought ball winning midfield style play and physicality to the ground level play down back.

Our defence must get taller, bigger, stronger and quicker. Plowman has been a makeshift third tall defender for a while but he needs to be relieved of the role. That role should only be played by Marchbank, McGovern, Parks or Akuei (if his game takes off). Plowman should be competing to play the role of a medium/small defender. I'd love to see a 4th tallish defender in our backline, one who can cover the smalls and has a really good offensive game and can run. That could be Plowman, Marchbank or McGovern.

The midfield needs to be built around intensity, speed and physicality. Of course skills are important too but I would love to see us get our midfield defence right and in the modern game that comes from having really good closing speed, effort and tackling well. Cripps, Kennedy and Dow in our midfield las season created the worst defensive midfield in the game because they don't have the closing speed, agility and desire to create this defensive heat on the opposition. As good as those three are with the ball in front of them, they are dreadful with the ball at the opposition's advantage and this is where we need to get things right.

A lot of discussions around the small forward spots now we have a group of them. The speed, tackling and pressure is going to be good for us. Again you need fast closing speed up forward to defend and to kick goals and we should be developing that. Durdin and Honey will play every game they are fit without doubt. They were super good last year and don't have gaping holes and big questions over aspects of their game. Owies was good but inconsistent. Fisher had moments, was good offensively up the ground but didn't bring physicality and good tackling pressure closer to goal and was wasteful in front of goal. Fogarty does most things right but his accuracy in front of goal is as bad as I have seen from any player. Then there is the new guy, Motlop. Highly talented but just how good and how ready is he? I think he will need a bit of developing time but he could be in the team pretty quickly as well. A guy like Motlop, if his defensive game is good could be in the side really quickly.

My locks for best 22, if fit are as follows.
Silvagni, Williams, Cripps, McKay, McGover, DeKoning, Stocker, Docherty, Kemp, Walsh, Martin, Marchbank, Weitering, Durdin, C Curnow, Philp, Honey, Saad, Cerra and Hewett. I think if these guys play a lot of games together we will play finals, if injuries start rocking and too many of this group miss out we will be in for a challenge to do that. I may have gone too early on some of the young ones but I am pretty confident in their ability.

That would make our usual team something like this:

B: McGovern Weitering Marchbank
HB: Saad (CHB) Docherty
C: Philp Cripps Kemp
HF: Martin Curnow Honey
F: Durdin McKay Silvagni
OB: TDK Cerra Walsh
IC: Williams Stocker Hewett (Forward)

CHB - Out of Young and McDonald
Forward - Out of Owies, Motlop or Fisher.

The intra club and preseason games are going to be really interesting this year. That's a long group of locks and a lot of pretty decent players missing out.

The changes that should be coming to our team are very exciting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jan 2, 2009
Penguin
AFL Club
Carlton
V3 - Final best 22's after drafts...

AFL

FBPlowmanYoungMarchbank
HBStockerWeiteringSaad
CWilliamsCrippsMartin
HFOwiesKempMotlop
FFDurdinMcKayC.Curnow
FOLPittonetWalshCerra
BENCHHewett (MID)Fisher (FWD)Silvagni (SWING)De Koning (Ruck/FWD)
23rd ManMcGovern (SWING)

Team offers balance and players whom can play in multiple positions..
  • Marchbank - Too talented to leave out if fit.
  • Stocker & Williams & Cerra Rotations- Would love to see Stocker & Williams move into midfield more,
    Williams - Wing and HBF/ Stocker - HBF and Mid/ Cerra - Mid and Wing
  • Martin & Motlop - To rotate through the Wing and HFF
  • Kemp - Realise Kemp is a defender, but can and has played in each 3rd, would love to see him utilised better as a CHF.
  • Owies & Durdin & Fisher - Owies is a no brainer has best stats of all small forwards, Durdin & Fisher get the nod
    first for their speed, tackling, defensive and aggression.
  • Pittonet & De Koning - Pittonet has earnt the right to be #1 Ruck, he was top 10 Ruck in the league before his injury..
    Not sure about carrying two rucks, though want Young to just focus on being the KPD we need.
    TDK gets a go at Ruck/ Forward before looking at McDonald...
Unavailable LTI
Docherty & Cuningham

Unlucky
Dow, Kennedy, Newman & Curnow

Careers on the Line
Setterfield, LOB, Fogerty, Marchbank, Williamson & Newnes
(McGovern (2023 contracted though)

VFL

FBAkuei*SSP Pick*Boyd
HBWilliamsonParksNewman
CPhilpDowCarroll
HFCurnowMcDonaldHoney
FFFogarty
FOLMirkovSetterfieldKennedy
BENCHLOBCottrellNewnes
Motlop

HaydossJ

Club Legend
Oct 4, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
I think Williams plays back for two reasons. He had his chance as a middle last year and was really poor. He played in defence and was crucial, he brought ball winning midfield style play and physicality to the ground level play down back.

Our defence must get taller, bigger, stronger and quicker. Plowman has been a makeshift third tall defender for a while but he needs to be relieved of the role. That role should only be played by Marchbank, McGovern, Parks or Akuei (if his game takes off). Plowman should be competing to play the role of a medium/small defender. I'd love to see a 4th tallish defender in our backline, one who can cover the smalls and has a really good offensive game and can run. That could be Plowman, Marchbank or McGovern.

The midfield needs to be built around intensity, speed and physicality. Of course skills are important too but I would love to see us get our midfield defence right and in the modern game that comes from having really good closing speed, effort and tackling well. Cripps, Kennedy and Dow in our midfield las season created the worst defensive midfield in the game because they don't have the closing speed, agility and desire to create this defensive heat on the opposition. As good as those three are with the ball in front of them, they are dreadful with the ball at the opposition's advantage and this is where we need to get things right.

A lot of discussions around the small forward spots now we have a group of them. The speed, tackling and pressure is going to be good for us. Again you need fast closing speed up forward to defend and to kick goals and we should be developing that. Durdin and Honey will play every game they are fit without doubt. They were super good last year and don't have gaping holes and big questions over aspects of their game. Owies was good but inconsistent. Fisher had moments, was good offensively up the ground but didn't bring physicality and good tackling pressure closer to goal and was wasteful in front of goal. Fogarty does most things right but his accuracy in front of goal is as bad as I have seen from any player. Then there is the new guy, Motlop. Highly talented but just how good and how ready is he? I think he will need a bit of developing time but he could be in the team pretty quickly as well. A guy like Motlop, if his defensive game is good could be in the side really quickly.

My locks for best 22, if fit are as follows.
Silvagni, Williams, Cripps, McKay, McGover, DeKoning, Stocker, Docherty, Kemp, Walsh, Martin, Marchbank, Weitering, Durdin, C Curnow, Philp, Honey, Saad, Cerra and Hewett. I think if these guys play a lot of games together we will play finals, if injuries start rocking and too many of this group miss out we will be in for a challenge to do that. I may have gone too early on some of the young ones but I am pretty confident in their ability.

That would make our usual team something like this:

B: McGovern Weitering Marchbank
HB: Saad (CHB) Docherty
C: Philp Cripps Kemp
HF: Martin Curnow Honey
F: Durdin McKay Silvagni
OB: TDK Cerra Walsh
IC: Williams Stocker Hewett (Forward)

CHB - Out of Young and McDonald
Forward - Out of Owies, Motlop or Fisher.

The intra club and preseason games are going to be really interesting this year. That's a long group of locks and a lot of pretty decent players missing out.

The changes that should be coming to our team are very exciting.
Agree with much of what’s been said, especially re Plowman. His best position is against dangerous smalls. We need someone else to play 3rd tall - McGovern and Marchbank when fit.

Plowman Weitering Saad
McGovern Young Williams (Stocker 7th)

Justnetime

Team Captain
May 18, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
Kemp Young Stocker
Saad Weitering Williams

Hewitt Cripps Walsh
TDK Cerra Dow

JSoS C Curnow Martin
Honey McKay Fisher

Kennedy + 3 others

Kemp on natural progression And I’m not a fan of Plowman.
Kennedy potentially preferred over Cripps depending if Cripps rediscovers form.
Fisher over Durdin and Motlop for 2022 at least
An inform Marchbank preferred over Kemp
No confidence in Dow at all. But it’s either true mid or bust for him.
Kemp is just on hope.
Mcgovern can earn it first in VFL for mine. If he does, then welcome aboard
Im a sneaky fan of Setterfield still. I’m crossing everything for him.

Sorry but if you're putting in Kemp in your best 22 for round 1 I'm instantly scrolling to the next post.

2 games, 19 touches across both of them. He isn't ready.
Simpson: 3 games... 0 touches.

Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sandringham Zebras, Melbourne Renegades
Sorry but if you're putting in Kemp in your best 22 for round 1 I'm instantly scrolling to the next post.

Marchy will not play rd 1, so it's between Kemp and Gov for the 3rd tall position - both have a huge pre-season ahead of them.

Justnetime

Team Captain
May 18, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
Outlier not the rule.

Stocker had a slow start too. Improved quickly.

Completely dismissing Kemp is what I struggle with. Others like Philp might come out of nowhere as well.

Kemp has played two L plate games, has draft class pedigree on his side, is a good physical build and 3rd year in system. He is a contender.

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League

Even after being a year older and having a preseason and practice games under his belt? Kemp has more talent and ability in his big toe than many of the regular players over the last few years. That's not everything but he's a special talent who now needs to develop in the senior team and is good enough to do so.

19 touches over the first two games as a defender is ok. He did the main part of his job quite well in those two games and defended.

If he's not in our starting team I would be surprised.

I think if he has a good preseason he's going to have to be in there somewhere.

Apr 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
West Ham United
With Honey & Durdin looking promising is there any chance we can turn Jack Martin into a winger?

Back