Player Watch #28 Josh Gibcus

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I’m part of the ‘crew’ but only one of the two will be needed at any time.

Someone, Clarke, I think, said they see both guys as “swing men”, so I think we can expect them to both go forward at times.

But, honestly, assuming our forwards get decent supply, who’s defence is dealing with a Gibcus or Balta as a third option?
Looks like we have multiple options now.People panicking with the departure of CJ and who's going to replace Jack.
Balta/Gibcus/Miller & Biggy all can be pushed to partner Lynch.
Who knows all 4 have learnt to defend so now all 4 will learn to play fwd giving us huge flexability and not soley assigning one player as a defender.

tigerfan1961

Premiership Player
Apr 18, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa, SF 49ers
I like the kids confidence already but i hope he keeps it respectful unlike Andrews.
I thought the same thing TOO, but then realised that Dimma and the leadership group we have won’t allow him to portray arrogance or cockiness. Our current playing group are pretty humble despite there being some superstars among them and I can’t see them allowing a young bloke to change that mantle

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I thought the same thing TOO, but then realised that Dimma and the leadership group we have won’t allow him to portray arrogance or cockiness. Our current playing group are pretty humble despite there being some superstars among them and I can’t see them allowing a young bloke to change that mantle
You right actually come to think of it.
Unlike the Lions who are complete opposite to be honest.

You right actually come to think of it.
Unlike the Lions who are complete opposite to be honest.

One thing that stuck with me was during that Making Your Mark doco-series where Dimma is talking match prep and about playing the Richmond way and as an example says how when we kick a goal, your turn to your teammates (not the crowd) and celebrate.

A lot of teams - Brisbane included - don’t do that (I’m thinking Charlie Cameron’s motorbike rev celebration).

It’s those small things like that which will ultimately separate one team from the next.

(Or the power ranger stance from Adelaide in 2017 which may have been the most insipid attempt to show strength and menace I’ve seen in professional sports. You don’t look tough, you just look like a bunch of knobs).

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
One thing that stuck with me was during that Making Your Mark doco-series where Dimma is talking match prep and about playing the Richmond way and as an example says how when we kick a goal, your turn to your teammates (not the crowd) and celebrate.

A lot of teams - Brisbane included - don’t do that (I’m thinking Charlie Cameron’s motorbike rev celebration).

It’s those small things like that which will ultimately separate one team from the next.

(Or the power ranger stance from Adelaide in 2017 which may have been the most insipid attempt to show strength and menace I’ve seen in professional sports. You don’t look tough, you just look like a bunch of knobs).
Thats why gws will always fall short until they get the right coach.
Highly rated individuals who still think their s**t don't stink.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I must have missed it (only been focusing on who we selected, not other clubs). What did Andrews say?
Nothing about draftees or anything.
Just in that game when he was mimicking on the mark at Lynch I think.Things like that.

Thats why gws will always fall short until they get the right coach.
Highly rated individuals who still think their sh*t don't stink.

Interesting. I must admit, save for the 2020 premiership, I follow GWS with some interest. I don't see "the s**t don't stink" attitude of which you speak. If anything their confidence is a bit manufactured still, and they actually stuggle to have enough collective confidence. They have had it in patches of quarters or a couple of games, but, we both agree the coach, as much as I like Leon, is probably holding them back still.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
A lot has been said about his marking ability but he is freakishly clean at ground level for a big man.

Still stand by the idea he was recruited as a forward who will be converted into defender should it not work out.
I hold this hope too, but I do think from Clarkes comments that he will be developed as a defender. Balta to play on the gorilla and Gibcus to play to his strength on playing on the second tall eventually. I think he will start as the third intercept defender in the backline with Tarrant and Balta taking the key posts. Will be interesting how they do this with Grimes and Vlastuin down there as well.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
If all our dreams do come true ...................................... " Again"

The tall defenders on our list are actually pretty bloody good potential
Miller - 198cm 98kgs extremely fast agile with a good leap
Nyuon - 197cm 92kgs Elite speed Elite leap Elite agility
Gibcus - 196cm 86kgs fast Elite leap and agility
Brown - 187cm again speed leap and athleticism
Balta - 194cm 100kgs - BEAST

Speed Agility Leap

Height doesn't matger much when you have players like Gibcus and Balta who can launch at the footy and are atheltic beasts.

Hell, Bolton is only 175 cm and I'd back him to virtually outleap anyone bar maybe Nic Nat in the league...

Jun 18, 2007
Top of the tree
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
#VICBIAS
If all our dreams do come true ...................................... " Again"

The tall defenders on our list are actually pretty bloody good potential
Miller - 198cm 98kgs extremely fast agile with a good leap
Nyuon - 197cm 92kgs Elite speed Elite leap Elite agility
Gibcus - 196cm 86kgs fast Elite leap and agility
Brown - 187cm again speed leap and athleticism
Balta - 194cm 100kgs - BEAST

Speed Agility Leap
We used to have a poster here, might have been before your time, called The Gun. Was obsessed with kids' heights, like disturbingly so, To Catch a Predator obsessed. He also had a fetish for kids with late birthdays and used to flick the bean over their potential to grow another few cm. Of course, not all do, but you couldn't tell him that.

Noah was one of those late birthday kids and he actually did keep growing and is now 196 or so.

Anyway, if The Gun were still here he'd be furiously fisting himself with that knowledge.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
We used to have a poster here, might have been before your time, called The Gun. Was obsessed with kids' heights, like disturbingly so, To Catch a Predator obsessed. He also had a fetish for kids with late birthdays and used to flick the bean over their potential to grow another few cm. Of course, not all do, but you couldn't tell him that.

Noah was one of those late birthday kids and he actually did keep growing and is now 196 or so.

Anyway, if The Gun were still here he'd be furiously fisting himself with that knowledge.
I think if you go back through the drafts and their write ups in their heights you will find alot of kids with late birthdays still have a few cm growth in them
Thomson Dow is a player that comes to mind , He was listed as 181/182 cm in the mock drafts and listed on the RFC as 183cm . But looking at him last year standing next to players like Cotchin/Dusty he looks almost the same height

Shane Edwards was listed on the RFc site for 3-4 years as 179cm and is not apparently 182cm , My nephew grew 5 cm from 18-21

Jun 18, 2007
Top of the tree
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
#VICBIAS
I think if you go back through the drafts and their write ups in their heights you will find alot of kids with late birthdays still have a few cm growth in them
Thomson Dow is a player that comes to mind , He was listed as 181/182 cm in the mock drafts and listed on the RFC as 183cm . But looking at him last year standing next to players like Cotchin/Dusty he looks almost the same height

Shane Edwards was listed on the RFc site for 3-4 years as 179cm and is not apparently 182cm , My nephew grew 5 cm from 18-21
Yeah, as I used to tell The Gun some people grow until they're 22, some stop at 15. I had a late birthday, was 191cm when I turned 18, still am today.

Bird Man

Premiership Player
Oct 4, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
Actually I suspect that club is hoping that with Miller, Biggie, Balta and Gibcus we have a future spine. Plenty of water to go under the bridge. But, we know Balta is A grade, Gibcus is potential A grader, Miller finally started dominating VFL and looked really good in his AFL game, and I've heard Dimma say they see Biggie as having 'elite traits' (i.e. size, speed, athleticism, skills - but needs a heap of development). So, although we're not really deep in KP depth, we've now got a full set of them at a some decent level of ability.

With our deep array of rucks they provide us with enough depth and development potential for now IMHO.

Still like a genuine top end potential KPF - maybe Balta can do that.

But next year is the year of KPFs. So can we snag one then and set ourselves up with a great structure of younger players?
Balta is still young and is not A grade yet. He got towel’d up this year before he got injured.
As soon as we got injuries and needed him to be a main stopper he was average.

still has some maturing to do and considering how our midfield looks next year he will see plenty of the ball

Last edited:
Back