no. 4

All Australian
Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Man Utd, Melb. Victory
If I remember correctly we were linked with a possible trade for his dad when he was at North Melbourne and Pagan was our coach. Would be interesting to know if his dad had any words for him about his thoughts of Carlton.

For those who haven't seen it, checked out his latest tik tok..absolute gold. Username: jessemotlop

Seems like a great kid who speaks well with plenty of self confidence. Looks like a good user who hits em hard, can't wait to see what he can do

Keyza

Premiership Player
Sep 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Because the system is yet another AFL sponsored rort that gives some clubs more advantages than others. The SA/WA clubs have basically had free access to many of the Aboriginal juniors in their states the last couple of years. Or the NM zone that gave them exclusive access to Tasmania juniors like Tarryn Thomas, etc.
Plus the Suns have been given access to almost all of the NT kids and on top of that they don't even have to use a pick to take them.
It is a rort alright.

Canyouhearthedrums

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Like Jesse himself, suspect we sold a few clubs a bit of candy, by overplaying our interest in McDonald.

You wouldn’t call a Tinder date 3 times per week. That coupled with Voss’ convo 0.5 seconds after the pick went through leads me to believe Motlop was our priority all along.
I love the idea but it doesn’t hold water. Hawks aren’t going take a bloke they don’t want just because they hear we’re also interested. Clubs will take the players they want, the only time there are shenanigans is when there might be the same club picking a couple times in a few picks - a la us with Harry and Charlie

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
I love the idea but it doesn’t hold water. Hawks aren’t going take a bloke they don’t want just because they hear we’re also interested. Clubs will take the players they want, the only time there are shenanigans is when there might be the same club picking a couple times in a few picks - a la us with Harry and Charlie

Depends really.

Players move up the draft board on the basis of interest and perceived interest from other clubs. It’s what leads recruiters to re-evaluate where they rank players, and they have contingencies if certain players might not be available - eg live trading.

I’d hazard a guess we wanted Motlop, but were happy to leak our interest in McDonald because he wasn’t our priority.

Michael Jezz

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2007
collingwood
AFL Club
Carlton
Motlop is actually more a natural small forward than any other player on the list

Fisher - HHF as a junior and that's how he should be used
Owies - Was a mid before he transitioned to basketball
Honey - More a hit up HF, than a traditional small forward
Durdin - Played the majority of his junior footy as a mid, but size forced him to play forward in his final junior year
Can you see him on a wing?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Not sure if been mentioned before, but I just worked past player Rod Wadell is Jesse's Grand Uncle.
Rod's sister is Daniel Motlop's mother and Jesse's Dad is Daniel.

Was looking up story on Rod Wadell when worked it out.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
We need a small, elusive, fast and tricky forward. He ticks boxes in that regard.
Here's to hoping he turns into a Betts-like threat. Welcome Jesse. No pressure buddy! ;)
Sounds like he works further up the ground than Eddie did. I'm not expecting the crazy ass goals Eddie could pick off from anywhere. Just normal Motlop/Waddell level skills with a good work ethic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back