List Mgmt. 2021 Draft Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

One thing I noticed about Cleary and Parker is their kicking DE is very high. In the 80 IIRC the stats someone posted last night and today.

Across all competitions...

Darcy
Kicking: 57%
Disposal: 64%

Jones
Kicking: 56%
Disposal: 56%

Cleary
Kicking: 83%
Disposal: 84%

Parker
Kicking: 72%
Disposal: 75%

McComb
Kicking: 56%
Disposal: 65%

Raak
Kicking: 73%
Disposal: 74%

AFL Average
Kicking: 67%
Disposal: 73%

Out of our six picks, three I'm very pleased with (Darcy, Jones, and Raak), two I'm curious to see how they go (Cleary and Parker), and one I just don't like at all. Not a reflection at all on McComb as a person or even a player, but I don't understand what role he could play in our AFL side.
Over the moon with those 2-3 picks.
But there was some solid mature agers that were available to trade/ draft that the dogs could have used.
Man it still kills me after that GF performance. I'm still embarrassed by that insipid 2nd half of footy.
I thought that for sure we would do something immediately about that beating.
Give me a defensive meat axe that will run through these soft ass demonds forwards to take a mark.

Steven May is 193cm. He's not "Key" size? Lever is 1cm taller.
Steven May has no neck🤣🤣
If he had a normal neck he'd be 196 easily.
But the man is built like a wombat. Strong, Solid compact unit.
I would trade a 1st for another player like him in an instant. It would make a backline formidable.
Just like Sam Collins, just performs his role and takes no s**t so it either.
Our backline got punked in the 1st quarter.

“He really was one of our pivotal players in the Footscray side during the year – he deserves his chance. He helps provide a bit of depth to our midfield, and I’m just really rapt to see someone like Robbie finally get an opportunity at AFL level. I’m sure he’s really going to embrace that.”

ah yes depth in the midfield, that thing we lack

“He really was one of our pivotal players in the Footscray side during the year – he deserves his chance. He helps provide a bit of depth to our midfield, and I’m just really rapt to see someone like Robbie finally get an opportunity at AFL level. I’m sure he’s really going to embrace that.”

ah yes depth in the midfield, that thing we lack
Would have rather kept cavarra personally.

Steven May has no neck🤣🤣
If he had a normal neck he'd be 196 easily.
But the man is built like a wombat. Strong, Solid compact unit.
I would trade a 1st for another player like him in an instant. It would make a backline formidable.
Just like Sam Collins, just performs his role and takes no sh*t so it either.
Our backline got punked in the 1st quarter.

"No neck"? Ok then.

Over the moon with those 2-3 picks.
But there was some solid mature agers that were available to trade/ draft that the dogs could have used.
Man it still kills me after that GF performance. I'm still embarrassed by that insipid 2nd half of footy.
I thought that for sure we would do something immediately about that beating.
Give me a defensive meat axe that will run through these soft ass demonds forwards to take a mark.
You’re very unlikely to find a close to best 22 ready to go player like that at the back end of the draft. That was something to try and address during trade period.

Josh Cripps ...

Every single club passed on him through the national and rookie draft. A lot of clubs need KPPs, I would say if nobody thought at this stage he is even worth a rookie spot, i'm not going to blame the Dogs for not grabbing him.

Definitely kissed on the dick by a fairy, but I absolutely think they can do it again.
Statistically, they have had no losses to any of their best 22, and there appeared no weaknesses in their last 2 games where they destroyed the cats and us.
Unless the other top 3 contenders improved( cats, dogs, or Port) which I haven't seen evidence of, what's to stop them other than a spate of injuries.
Last season was a statistical anomaly last year for Melbourne. In all the years I have been watching football too only have 2 long term injuries for an entire year is almost unheard of. Good luck and good management but I have to say I would be surprised if there wasn't a correction which will bring them right back into the pack.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Although I agree we should've at least drafted another tall, the GF was lost purely and simply in the middle. Our centre setups were just mind boggling along with no recognisable fit ruckman.

Sweet is the key to our success in 2022 and if he can improve to at least be serviceable for four quarters our midfield should be able to do the rest.
[/QUOTE
I hope he can be that Ruck for us . Also hopes that our mid group never perform as badly as they did in the GF .

happy with most , especially Jones, his speed and Agility is a list need with JJ aging and Latham injury prone.

However I am absolutely stumped we did not look at a real KPD and a backup ruckman. Darcy needs 1 year developing at least and neither Gardiner, Cordy and Schache can play on the Hawkins type KF. Let’s pray Keath remains injury free next season. Hopefully not having sufficient depth in tall defenders and ruckman will not cost us a flag

happy with most , especially Jones, his speed and Agility is a list need with JJ aging and Latham injury prone.

However I am absolutely stumped we did not look at a real KPD and a backup ruckman. Darcy needs 1 year developing at least and neither Gardiner, Cordy and Schache can play on the Hawkins type KF. Let’s pray Keath remains injury free next season. Hopefully not having sufficient depth in tall defenders and ruckman will not cost us a flag

Looks to be a lot of tall talent in next years draft. I’d imagine we’ll be able to find a Key Defender amongst that lot.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Did anyone take Dean or Dante? Or Stagg? I would have taken a couple of these and Cripps but seems like all the professionals didn’t take them - so will go with them I suppose.

Even though I am sure they are right - I can’t help preferring a moneyball approach where we fill holes tactically and it does seem obvious to all that that is:

KPD - at first glance we look small but I am interested in whether we are beaten by taller players more often than other teams? In the granny- Jackson was a big part of the game but on paper Gardner would suit him - Fritsch was the most productive and that was really a Wood third tall and it looks like we have brought in three player to address this short and long term. On the top line numbers our defence ranks highly but I wonder if we should be looking at vulnerability at times to a particular type of attack and an over reliance on one player - Keath our only top tier one on one player. I expect the team would have reviewed this and decided that those available would not be better than what we have or the difference in contribution is better from who we have.

Ruck - this is harder to understand - I can’t contemplate how an area we are so bad in could not be added to and despite a solid future of English, Darcy and Sweet - we go into a season clearly on the window worse than last year with the only hope that English and Sweet materially improve.

These guys will get better but this was surely a time to bring in Paul Hudson/Hickey like competitor wanting a second life - someone like the two in Gold Coast who retired or even better the other second stringers available and picked up by other clubs. Understand we have Martin but his lack of consistent game time means we can’t build a style of play around him.

Did anyone take Dean or Dante? Or Stagg? I would have taken a couple of these and Cripps but seems like all the professionals didn’t take them - so will go with them I suppose.

Even though I am sure they are right - I can’t help preferring a moneyball approach where we fill holes tactically and it does seem obvious to all that that is:

KPD - at first glance we look small but I am interested in whether we are beaten by taller players more often than other teams? In the granny- Jackson was a big part of the game but on paper Gardner would suit him - Fritsch was the most productive and that was really a Wood third tall and it looks like we have brought in three player to address this short and long term. On the top line numbers our defence ranks highly but I wonder if we should be looking at vulnerability at times to a particular type of attack and an over reliance on one player - Keath our only top tier one on one player. I expect the team would have reviewed this and decided that those available would not be better than what we have or the difference in contribution is better from who we have.

Ruck - this is harder to understand - I can’t contemplate how an area we are so bad in could not be added to and despite a solid future of English, Darcy and Sweet - we go into a season clearly on the window worse than last year with the only hope that English and Sweet materially improve.

These guys will get better but this was surely a time to bring in Paul Hudson/Hickey like competitor wanting a second life - someone like the two in Gold Coast who retired or even better the other second stringers available and picked up by other clubs. Understand we have Martin but his lack of consistent game time means we can’t build a style of play around him.

Dante went to Port in the main draft, Dean went to Collingwood in the rookie draft. Stagg undrafted.

Dogs can still bring in a player with bruce on the LTI list so maybe dogs will have a few talls at pre-season if they decide to pull the trigger on it.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back