Opinion Peter Bell - Should get a raise?

Sep 27, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
brisbane lions
no, keep bell.

I reckon we are trending up. Maybe not always linear growth.
wtf guys, sacking people will not improve freo at the moment. long term the only thing that will improve freo is consistently adding players to our young core through the draft.
well, not gonna lie, this is what i look like currently.

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Has redeemed himself, but jeez the bar was low.
Have to give kudos to Walls as well.
What’s done is done, and I can genuinely see that our rebuild is technically over.
Penny finally clicked with the over ambitious trading, and better to go to the draft.
GC are the gift that keeps giving, I really think that merging with another established club is their only hope.

poshman

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 13, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
It is finals or bust this year, if we are to reach the premiership and top four goals they have laid out.

No finals this year and either the coach or Bell have to go if the club is serious about their 5 year plan.

Purpleheart_56

Team Captain
May 18, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
It is finals or bust this year, if we are to reach the premiership and top four goals they have laid out.

No finals this year and either the coach or Bell have to go if the club is serious about their 5 year plan.
First time in our history I feel club is heading in right direction...So I think We all need to find a little more patience with current establishment...

Good times are just around corner...but maybe not just yet...

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Best season on-field since 2015

Outstanding trade and draft period off-field.

Am I missing something?

Nope, but that's got nothing to do with my post. You don't invert a thread title 180 degrees six months after it was started, it's stupid. Mods should close the thread or start a new parallel one if they think it's so wrong.
Not so sure what was outstanding about the trade period anyway, it was two deals which were around par and one gift from gold coast. Nothing terrrible but nothing outstanding.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Best season on-field since 2015

Outstanding trade and draft period off-field.

Am I missing something?
Personally I think the club have drafted well for several years, appointed a good coach and developed the talent at an acceptable rate by AFL standards. Bell has had varying levels of input into these things. Whether or not he deserves a raise depends largely on his management of the football department to get maximum return on effort and investment from here on in.

Sep 16, 2015
Inside 50
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
Nope, but that's got nothing to do with my post. You don't invert a thread title 180 degrees six months after it was started, it's stupid. Mods should close the thread or start a new parallel one if they think it's so wrong.
Not so sure what was outstanding about the trade period anyway, it was two deals which were around par and one gift from gold coast.
What if the previous title needed 180 degrees revision?

"one gift from gold coast" - this comment explains how you don't see what was outstanding about the trade period.

Sep 16, 2015
Inside 50
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
Personally I think the club have drafted well for several years, appointed a good coach and developed the talent at an acceptable rate by AFL standards. Bell has had varying levels of input into these things. Whether or not he deserves a raise depends largely on his management of the football department to get maximum return on effort and investment from here on in.
I don't think the raise is genuine. It's more a response to how quickly some on here were to stick the boot in.

Some of the comments on here from a while back are frankly embarrassing.

poshman

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 13, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don't think the raise is genuine. It's more a response to how quickly some on here were to stick the boot in.

Some of the comments on here from a while back are frankly embarrassing.

so let them be embarrassed - or let time play out and hopefully the results speak for themselves. Changing the thread title is just confusing from a navigation point of view. Click into a discussion about a pay raise - no it’s a discussion about something completely different.

I clicked in - thinking someone must have info on what he is paid and what other execs are paid. That there would be talk in line with the subject line.

That is why changing it was stupid. Mods - change it back or leave it as something neutral like ‘Peter Bell’.

As to his performance over time - he has changed S&C - arguable later than he should and we still had terrible injuries last season. List management - the draft looks good, better than I could have hoped. But, we can’t rate it for at least three seasons.

poshman

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 13, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
The haters are shook.

Care to interact with my post? Or content to make meaningless posts?

The club had come out with some high targets. Demanding targets. My post was in relation to that. Given those targets if we don’t make the finals this year do you think JL or Bell will be in trouble position wise?

If those targets are serious and not a marketing exercise then Garlick will have to do something if we don’t improve this year.

But yes, I am so incredibly shook…

CapitalA

Club Legend
Nov 18, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Care to interact with my post? Or content to make meaningless posts?

The club had come out with some high targets. Demanding targets. My post was in relation to that. Given those targets if we don’t make the finals this year do you think JL or Bell will be in trouble position wise?

If those targets are serious and not a marketing exercise then Garlick will have to do something if we don’t improve this year.

But yes, I am so incredibly shook…
They won't be in trouble. They are goals, when you set yourself some goals and don't make it to all of them do you have a tanty and go do something else?

Nov 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
They won't be in trouble. They are goals, when you set yourself some goals and don't make it to all of them do you have a tanty and go do something else?
I would try to identify why I couldn’t achieve said goals and if I decided they were achievable then I would implement changes. Which I think is what they are trying to say.

poshman

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 13, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

I’m not sure why anyone would conflate being accountable to goals with a tanty.

In some senses of course you do something else. If the goal is a premiership and multiple top four finishes and we don’t achieve that, do you not think we should change anything?

Let’s try this from another angle. What level of performance would cause you to want a change?

Are you on board with the targets set out by the club? I assume that Bell, JL, Garlick, Alcock the board and other stakeholders set them. Do you disagree with them?

CapitalA

Club Legend
Nov 18, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
I would try to identify why I couldn’t achieve said goals and if I decided they were achievable then I would implement changes. Which I think is what they are trying to say.
It is difficult to build something of substance if you are always changing it, especially because of a grudge you have or you think it is a "boys club". Everything has been running better and better but still snipers wanna take a shot.

Back