The 2021 Draft Expert Time Capsule Game

Remove this Banner Ad

RJKTiger

Team Captain
Apr 4, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
so a bit of fun for those keyboard experts out there.

We all think we could do it better & have our opinions. Lets put it down for history to clearly see who was right.

Everyone has ONE pick they can change. Post it in the thread & lets come back once a year and see who was the expert & who was Jarryd Oakley Nichols

My pick

Out: Sam Banks
In: Blake Howes

'Why?: Banks reads like the type of player we have failed to capitalise on time and time again - Naish, Ellis 2.0 - lacks inside work & a defender who cant defend.

Howes reads like the exact athletic 3rd tall utility we need to fill the gap filled by Chol & CCJ - a high risk/high reward type

RJKTiger

Team Captain
Apr 4, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
I don't know the players that well and I don't wany to pot any of our picks but I predict Hobbs and Leek Alleer will be players.

It's not really potting our players. People here have literally spent the last 12 months saying player X is "our guy". Then when the draft happens, we all so "How the F is this guy?? BUST!" So often on bigfooty, everyone is full of opinions, but rarely accountable for it. I thought it might be interesting to see how the right or wrong we actually were.

Its just a bit of fun & more so an attempt to make us armchair experts ACCOUNTABLE for just how hard this job is. I am pretty sure if any player were to read this (which i doubt), seeing there name would not "hurt their feelings" - it would spur them on to prove people wrong. I generally just find it interesting to see the difference between our opinions and projections vs the reality. It's funny how opinionated so many fans are, but when given the chance to own their opinion they tend to shy away:)

GoTigers2015

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆2017🏆2019🏆2020🏆
Oct 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Not rookied Matt Parker and kept 38 & 40 and future 3rd

Wouldn't have got Juddy Clarke but instead Howes and Taylor

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
A hard one to assess. I’m glass full right now.

I think Brown will end up a solid 200 gamer in his position. Not flashy, but dependable. I see a more defensively accountable Bachar Houli in him. A typical Richmond pick.

Banks I haven’t seen much of and sound like he spent a lot of time injured or playing injured over the past two years, and in a second tier comp. I don’t see anything flashy from him but from his interview it sounds like he’s driven to get the best out of himself. For me he’s our boom or bust pick, and I’m hesitant to bet against the house with their history.

Clarke is another that was injured and came back playing a different position and doing quite well. His speed and elusiveness along with kicking is elite. He could surprise.

Sonsie was the classic slider and I think fans will be asking how he got picked up this late in years to come.

History will say one won’t make it and if that’s the case I think that will come from Banks or Clarke. But I am really excited by their upside and the way we have picked these guys on glimpses of what they have shown because of Covid and injury. If we obtain 5 best 22 players from this draft we are well on the way to sustained success and these players give us the best chance of doing that.

Of the ones we missed though, I did like the look of Taylor with his neat skills and ability to accumulate. As well as Johnson’s poise in traffic. I also liked the thought of a JVR style swing man for our list, but if he projects as more of a third tall at either end at the top level I’m ok we overlooked him. I also think Hobbs will be good, but happy with the positional choice we made with Gibcus. He has Naughton traits for mine.

Don't listen to me because I wanted to trade both Richo and Rance and thought Riewoldt was only a "3rd tall".

At pick 17, I would have said to Geelong, we are going to draft Brown, but will swap our pick for your next year's 1st. I'm a bit sentimental like that. I think it's good for kids to play at the club their old man did. So let's pretend they bit.

Essentially swap out Brown and swap in a top 10, possibly top 5 pick next year.

That gives us one more pick in the draft (I think it would have ended up pick 63), and i'd have invited the best undrafted kids to pre-season with us.

Infamy

🐯🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Oct 1, 2004
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
Richmond
Don't listen to me because I wanted to trade both Richo and Rance and thought Riewoldt was only a "3rd tall".

At pick 17, I would have said to Geelong, we are going to draft Brown, but will swap our pick for your next year's 1st. I'm a bit sentimental like that. I think it's good for kids to play at the club their old man did. So let's pretend they bit.

Essentially swap out Brown and swap in a top 10, possibly top 5 pick next year.

That gives us one more pick in the draft (I think it would have ended up pick 63), and i'd have invited the best undrafted kids to pre-season with us.
Wouldn't have mattered given that Sydney was about to take him with the next pick

smurfin

Club Legend
Apr 1, 2016
Central Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I would have been happy with Gibcus and Sonsie with our first 2 rounders and then Brown, Banks & Clarke around the mark for our second rounders.
My one "draft expert" change would be picking Arlo Draper instead of Banks.
And hope in a few years that Banks matches Cotchin's triple premiership captain status and I cop s**t over this suggestion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back