Player Watch #1: Hugh Greenwood

Remove this Banner Ad

You’d need to, in order to find a premiership player.

THis is an astoundingly bad call.

2021 Jack Viney is 179
2020 Dion Prestia 175
2019 Dion Prestia 175
2018 Luke Shuey 184
2017 Dion Prestia 175
2016 Luke Dalhaus 177 (listed as a starting mid)
2015-13 Sam Mitchell 180
2012 Kieran Jack 178
2011 Jimmy Bartel 187

This is a list of the shortest starting midfielder from the last 11 premiers.

there are only 2 taller than Will and only one of them is > 5cms taller.

What is more is that you have 2 era teams in there where the player was an absolute midfield key.

Even this year you could argue that Viney was the player they built around.

It's not like Will is 180cm and 60kgs dripping wet. He's going to develop onto a powerful young man.

You don't want your whole midfield rotation that height, but we're putting together a nice mix. Thomas, LDU, JHF are all a decent size. If Goater pushes in there at some point....

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

2021 Jack Viney is 179
2020 Dion Prestia 175
2019 Dion Prestia 175
2018 Luke Shuey 184
2017 Dion Prestia 175
2015-13 Sam Mitchell 180
2012 Kieran Jack 178
2011 Jimmy Bartel 187

What is more is that you have 2 era teams in there where the player was an absolute midfield key.

I love it that someone will do that work for us.

2021 Jack Viney is 179
2020 Dion Prestia 175
2019 Dion Prestia 175
2018 Luke Shuey 184
2017 Dion Prestia 175
2015-13 Sam Mitchell 180
2012 Kieran Jack 178
2011 Jimmy Bartel 187

Good post but wouldn't you have Joel Selwood for 2011 who's even shorter than Bartel?

Good post but wouldn't you have Joel Selwood for 2011 who's even shorter than Bartel?
I omitted the wings as I don't see Phillips playing wing, which is where Selwood is listed in the wiki team. I used starting centre square mids, so either listed a centre or on ball.

1638138253811.png

P.S I am not going back through to check for shorter wings than the players listed as CBF and the point is made.

I omitted the wings as I don't see Phillips playing wing, which is where Selwood is listed in the wiki team. I used starting centre square mids, so either listed a centre or on ball.

View attachment 1289199

P.S I am not going back through to check for shorter wings than the players listed as CBF and the point is made.

Your point was made. Weird Wiki lineup though. I'd have had Joel Selwood as their prime centre square mid and Bartel as the luxury mid/flanker outside of that.

Your point was made. Weird Wiki lineup though. I'd have had Joel Selwood as their prime centre square mid and Bartel as the luxury mid/flanker outside of that.

Not just wiki, same line up published by "the west" newspaper, so I assume it is the official line up.

If we were looking at players who ran through the midfield I think Kelly would be the shortest at 183. listed on the I/C though.

Prestia, suffers a lot of injuries as does Neale, as does Viney - and were not present on the original list. Which is kinda my point.

Anyway, I hope you’re right.

moving-goalpost.gif

It's not like Will is 180cm and 60kgs dripping wet. He's going to develop onto a powerful young man.

You don't want your whole midfield rotation that height, but we're putting together a nice mix. Thomas, LDU, JHF are all a decent size. If Goater pushes in there at some point....

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
Anyone tell Adelaide?

I think I'm lost, I was looking for the Hugh Greenwood thread if anyone can help me...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for this, those who started bringing forward pockets to a discussion about starting midfielders - take heed.

Hugh and Ando will be shouldering the bulk of the defensive work at stoppages this year, which can only be a good thing.
Jed's under 180cm fwiw.

I think a mix is good personally. TT, LDU, Greenwood, maybe Goater and Perez in future, potentially Zurhaar for a change up then JHF, Powell, possibly Sleevo, Bailey Scott in the middle group then Phillips, Anderson, Mahony, Lazzaro. Its a good mix of body sizes and types that can be used to create mismatches while covering opposition mids defensively. I think Hayden and Turner can also cover players defensively in the middle if asked to (and fit).

Jy is 182cm but can play smaller or taller imo.

Jed's under 180cm fwiw.

I think a mix is good personally. TT, LDU, Greenwood, maybe Goater and Perez in future, potentially Zurhaar for a change up then JHF, Powell, possibly Sleevo, Bailey Scott in the middle group then Phillips, Anderson, Mahony, Lazzaro. Its a good mix of body sizes and types that can be used to create mismatches while covering opposition mids defensively. I think Hayden and Turner can also cover players defensively in the middle if asked to (and fit).

Jy is 182cm but can play smaller or taller imo.

Cunnington is listed at 184 but I think that's a bit of a number fudging, he's closer to 180

Hugh Greenwood - 18

After arriving late to the club in the free agency period, new recruit Greenwood will wear the number 18 jumper, made most famous by Wayne Carey in the 1990s. Arguably the greatest player of all time, Carey won two premierships, both as captain, wearing the number 18, and kicked all of his 671 goals wearing it, despite playing his first four career games wearing the number 40. He would end his career as North’s all-time leading goal kicker and a member of the club’s team of the century.

Shaun Atley most recently wore the jumper, having worn it for the entirety of his 234-game North career, while Paul Feltham was the number’s guardian for the 1975 premiership.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back