Rookie 41. Dom Akuei

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely rapt to have Dom officially part of our list, his highlights are really impressive! The way he reads the play, his agility and tackling ability I feel we have found our future replacement for Jonesy. Some more development and some time in the gym, I believe he will be a real player for us!! Welcome Dom 💙

Absolutely rapt to have Dom officially part of our list, his highlights are really impressive! The way he reads the play, his agility and tackling ability I feel we have found our future replacement for Jonesy. Some more development and some time in the gym, I believe he will be a real player for us!! Welcome Dom 💙
There’s that Ariel hang time there’s athleticism but also a self awareness that that work now begins to hone his craft
He isn’t going home to Ireland he’ll give it everything he’s got he’s switched on if our coaches can teach he’ll learn quick

Really like this. Great on so many levels.

It’s a win to finally get someone through our academy zone.

It’s a win that we got him as cat B, so effectively outside the main list.

It’s a win to have some additional tall defender depth, albeit probably not someone we’re going to have any intention of playing for at least a couple of years. Would think he’s gonna be spending a fair bit of time with Russell to get some more meat on those bones.

And of course it’s a win for Dom, and a bit of a feel good story in that regard too.

Here’s hoping he makes it. Good luck to him.

Not sure what the Dees did to get the Stingrays zone , but they might be sitting on a goldmine there. Hopefully the AFL change the rules again if that eventuates.

Already have I believe - can only match bids outside the top 40 picks for NGA players. Elite prospects will be going to whoever rates them highest. Only "bargains" will be the real late bloomers.

Already have I believe - can only match bids outside the top 40 picks for NGA players. Elite prospects will be going to whoever rates them highest. Only "bargains" will be the real late bloomers.
Top 20 except for WA & SA metropolitan based indigenous players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Highlights reminds of of Aliir Aliir a bit.

Similar lean build, has a leap and intercept marks...though Aliir was pick 44 so rated a fair bit higher. Even he didn't debut until his 3rd year.

Also, I can't believe we actually found someone from our zone!!!

I think our NGA zone is about one and half streets in Whittelsea, but excludes any odd-numbered properties, all brick veneer houses, strata-titled dwellings and players whose surnames don't rhyme with Louie....

Bruce Doulluei ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Been said earlier in the thread, but the natural build and athleticism of some of these Sudanese players is very well-suited to our form of football. Glad to see we’ve found and developed one - hope he makes it. I definitely expect to see plenty more African-heritage players in the AFL in coming years. Good luck, Dom!

Been said earlier in the thread, but the natural build and athleticism of some of these Sudanese players is very well-suited to our form of football. Glad to see we’ve found and developed one - hope he makes it. I definitely expect to see plenty more African-heritage players in the AFL in coming years. Good luck, Dom!
When some of them turn into key forwards and tall wingmen, then I'll be impressed. They seem to be a bit overqualified athletically, ATM. ;)

*Edit; I wonder if we are going to invite our other Knights Academy prospect to try out for our final list spot, his year was pretty much ruined by injury and that other thing.

Last edited:
Maybe I’m too optimistic, but I’m not seeing the raw as f
I mean he’s athletic, can take a mark kick a goal and a nice height. What more could you ask for.

I think we're going to be pleasantly surprised here. I know people see the raw athletic talent that's going to need time to nurture. However, in so many of his video packages you can see the natural instincts to attack the ball. If he can carry that through a full VFL season then there's a likelihood with our slim KPD depth that he'll get an opportunity at the senior level sooner rather than later.

It takes nous to be an intercept defender and he's already developing those attributes on top of his freakish athletiicsm.

We've got a good one here. Nothing but the best, Dom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back