Coach Sam Mitchell's direction for the club and 2024 news

Remove this Banner Ad

If anyone wants to have a listen about what the data is saying in regards to whether we have actually gotten worse this year have a listen to this from the 9:15 mark.

I know a few people have already touched on it, but the data is also showing that our results this year have been slightly better despite actually putting out a younger team and dealing with some injuries.

And here.

Lots of good things highlighted in that Sam article. Was a great read.

The interesting comment for mine, was around making sure "you've got a gamestyle that fits the playing group you have".
This was something that lots of posters here had pondered about our gameplan in the last few years, and if we were trying to play a style that we didn't have the cattle to achieve. That being said, we might not have had as much 'good cattle' as we do now, in the previous 3-4 years.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how direct we play in 2022. Will be exciting to watch.

The interesting comment for mine, was around making sure "you've got a gamestyle that fits the playing group you have".
This was something that lots of posters here had pondered about our gameplan in the last few years, and if we were trying to play a style that we didn't have the cattle to achieve. That being said, we might not have had as much 'good cattle' as we do now, in the previous 3-4 years.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how direct we play in 2022. Will be exciting to watch.
We just need Jeff to walk the plank, and it's a full club reset, Reeves aside.

Exciting times ahead.

You’d have to imagine that with the Vic kids you’d be able to get a good insight into their desire to work hard and commitment to being a senior footy player by asking how they kept themselves going during lockdowns.
If a picture could say a thousand words, then looking at the picture of Sinn next to Ward, it's pretty obvious who spent the last two years physically preparing themselves for AFL football. The blokes we drafted might not all make it but by the sounds of it, none will leave a stone unturned in their attempts.

That was my issue for years.

As always, execution is the thing that matters, but I love seeing us recognise & focus on this.

Knowing how smart Sammy is about footy, it's genuinely hard not to get excited about where we go with him in charge. Clearly our players wanted to play under him, as quite a few older heads had the opportunity to leave but didn't - and the youngsters seem to have pushed for the change.

I'm not setting my heart on it, but the rebound could be very quick.

Knowing how smart Sammy is about footy, it's genuinely hard not to get excited about where we go with him in charge. Clearly our players wanted to play under him, as quite a few older heads had the opportunity to leave but didn't - and the youngsters seem to have pushed for the change.

Dare to dream mate.

It’s got me ****ed why people are opposed to optimism.

Anyone who wants Breust traded is a clown (my words, not Sam’s) - Sam states that while discussing the GWS offer that Breust displayed continued passion for the club and that he wanted to be involved in our next flag, even if he wasn’t playing in it.

Because I don't already love him enough :hearteyes:

The Hawks have clear strengths, a young playing group and a good draft hand, with a great footy mind in charge.

Many may predict doom and gloom but this Hawthorn team has potential to rise, and to do it extremely quickly.

It wouldn’t surprise if Hawthorn pushes a top-six finish by 2023.

Sam Mitchell is a winner, so anything is possible. 👀

The Hawks have clear strengths, a young playing group and a good draft hand, with a great footy mind in charge.

Many may predict doom and gloom but this Hawthorn team has potential to rise, and to do it extremely quickly.

It wouldn’t surprise if Hawthorn pushes a top-six finish by 2023.

Sam Mitchell is a winner, so anything is possible. 👀

I like the optimism. Top 6 by 2023 is a big call though. To do that, there are a few things we need to sort out fast (midfield mix and forward line), and need our experienced players to play well.

I like the optimism. Top 6 by 2023 is a big call though. To do that, there are a few things we need to sort out fast (midfield mix and forward line), and need our experienced players to play well.
Yeah, we’d need Kosi and Lewis to kick on(hoping Jeka can too).
If Day, Ward and DGB show their stuff and play 15+ games next season, and MacDonald, Mitchell, Butler and Newcombe find their feet by the end of 2022 we’ll be well on our way.

Yeah, we’d need Kosi and Lewis to kick on(hoping Jeka can too).
If Day, Ward and DGB show their stuff and play 15+ games next season, and MacDonald, Mitchell, Butler and Newcombe find their feet by the end of 2022 we’ll be well on our way.

Hard to put a ceiling on it, both premiers didn't exactly have outstanding KPF stocks. Teams are weaker now, we don't need to have a side as good as we had in 2013 - 2015 just a side as good or better than the current top teams. To me, they all have weaknesses which makes me optimistic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting read in the Sunday HS . Did not mention JOM , TM or Chad once in the whole interview I would’ve thought those 3 would be central to any plans of varying success in the short to mid term future .

“We probably looked at talent a bit more than positional (requirements),” Mitchell said.

“Some of the focuses were culture and character. We thought the five lads we brought in, and the top three who I knew more about, were all high achievers.

“Our plan from a cultural point of view was to bring in high work ethic players of good character. That will drive our standards and push us forward to where we want to go.”

Regarding the draft. Culture trumps talent every time. If you have you have both then that is when magic happens

I don't want the rebound to be quick I want it to be good and sustained. These draftees are 18 give them two years - and they will be something - The best part is we have solid established players - for the rebound to work the young brigade have to be good enough to push the established ones out. It might take a little longer than 2 years but its going to be an enjoyable ride that's for sure

I don't want the rebound to be quick I want it to be good and sustained. These draftees are 18 give them two years - and they will be something - The best part is we have solid established players - for the rebound to work the young brigade have to be good enough to push the established ones out. It might take a little longer than 2 years but its going to be an enjoyable ride that's for sure

There will be a window of opportunity while Bruest Gunston Mitchell Omeara Wingard even Hartigan Frost Sicily are on the list (theres plenty of prime quality there)

Whether you think the 'high water mark" (My preferred term over 'premiership clock') would fall short or be successful is another matter.

My view is that its morally bankrupt to not go for it
Otherwise agree

There will be a window of opportunity while Bruest Gunston Mitchell Omeara Wingard even Hartigan Frost Sicily are on the list (theres plenty of prime quality there)

Whether you think the 'high water mark" (My preferred term over 'premiership clock') would fall short or be successful is another matter.

My view is that its morally bankrupt to not go for it
Otherwise agree
We’ve been going for it the last few years with that group though. There’s been a couple of injuries there but even without them that group has shown us that it’s not going to win a flag.

It’s one of the reasons Mitchell is coach. And I’d hope he will take us on a new direction, one much more focused on youth. And every indication he’s given so far has been that he will. What team he selects come round 1 will tell us a lot also.

When you do watch that interview, one thing stands out like dogs balls. His energy levels are palpable. The guy is excited. It's like a breath of fresh air. He's just so bloody keen to leave an imprint.

No wonder the players are excited, when you have a coach that's literally jumping out of his skin.
Yeh its a big difference to the last couple of years with Clarko who at times came across as almost burnt out in some of his interviews.

Not a criticism of Clarko, being an AFL head coach does that to the most energetic of individuals and he even admitted himself he needed a hiatus from the game.

High energy levels are especially important in a coach when you have a young list as well, the youngsters feed off that.

We’ve been going for it the last few years with that group though. There’s been a couple of injuries there but even without them that group has shown us that it’s not going to win a flag.

It’s one of the reasons Mitchell is coach. And I’d hope he will take us on a new direction, one much more focused on youth. And every indication he’s given so far has been that he will. What team he selects come round 1 will tell us a lot also.
I think Mitchell will bring a slightly different game style that will free us up a bit. That'll invigorate the older players IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back