List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster*
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:
View attachment 1289350

It's not even a debate. League average was 55.9, so we're nearly 20% off the average. Eagles either can't or won't tackle.
Unless of course the blame lies with the coaches who instructed the players not to tackle, which is a whole different level of concerning.

How much of that is due to ability and how much is game style? I think it was fairly obvious last year and over the last few years that players were instructed to corral rather than tackle. Hopefully that changes with a new gameplan and new midfield coaches,

Tackling efficiency would be a more meaningful stat - how many tackles were actually effective once the decision to tackle was made? That would be more indicative of the tackling ability of our players.

View attachment 1289350

It's not even a debate. League average was 55.9, so we're nearly 20% off the average. Eagles either can't or won't tackle.
Unless of course the blame lies with the coaches who instructed the players not to tackle, which is a whole different level of concerning.
Total tackles doesn't mean much. Other than we don't tackle a lot. Differential is a better measure.

Interestingly there's not much correlation between winning the tackle count and making the 8. Guess you tackle more when you don't have the ball.

I'm more worried about getting out possession count up into closer to parity each game.

1638160587038.png

1638160741680.png

How much of that is due to ability and how much is game style? I think it was fairly obvious last year and over the last few years that players were instructed to corral rather than tackle. Hopefully that changes with a new gameplan and new midfield coaches,

Tackling efficiency would be a more meaningful stat - how many tackles were actually effective once the decision to tackle was made? That would be more indicative of the tackling ability of our players.

Going on the games I watched last year, I'm afraid of what that stat looks like.

Re the 16 possessions, I think it was 18, and given he got injured and played only 3 game then it's possible he got a very low number in 1 game and this dragged the average down.
PLAYERTEAMROUNDOPPONENTGBDKHMTRE 50IN 50HOFFFA
Campbell ChesserSandringham DragonsAverages=0.330.6718.3310.008.333.001.670.674.670.000.330.67
27/04/200311.16/10.62Oakleigh Chargers012313102125001
186cm6.10/5.113Northern Knights1113582304011
6.20/2.611Tasmania Devils00191275105000

Chesser injured his knee in the 2nd quarter in the R3 match against the Northern Knights (in the wet) & was pretty gutsy to play to the end.

Even still the numbers don't stack up great at all. From what I have here they're pure trash in fact (Even taking away the injury game) I would love to see a contested/uncontested possession split and a heatmap as well to really bed down the analysis.
Putting any thoughts and opinions garnered from games & vision i've seen on the shelf for now, straight up from a statistical point of view:

• 1 Goal 2 behinds in 3 games suggests he doesn't/can't play forward and isn't particularly damaging as a midfielder either. This also points to a lack of 1 on 1 ability in a lot of cases.
  • You can see he's a 20 disposal per game player more kicks than handballs & with a low tackle count suggest he is an outside player most likely as a winger, with a decent kick on him. Now outside /receiver types much like fwds live and die by the strength of team around them and other contested players to feed out the footy so you should see greater numbers in a big win & smaller numbers in a big defeat and so forth. R2 was a good game, R3 was an injury affected game, R11 was a poor game.
  • The low number of marks also suggest he doesn't really find it in open play whether that's linking up on a wing, receiving it in a backline switch or leading up at the ball carrier as a forward. Or alternatively something you would see from pure onballers in which case the number of disposals and tackle count wouldn't be acceptable unless you have a crazy amount of linebreaking power and offensive skills to match.
  • Tackling average is ridiculously low and is what you find with pure wingers like Isaac Smith or Brad Hill and even then its unders :tearsofjoy:
  • The rebound 50 count shows that he doesn't work back as a winger, or even rebound when the ball is down there.
  • Inside 50 count is really healthy averaging around 5 a game showing an offensive mindset and willingness to get the ball in to his hands by the team.
  • HO who cares
  • Free For, Free Against nothing out of the ordinary here which is fine.
As well as taking all of these numbers into account, Sandringham were the top team in the NAB League this year. Meaning we should also see a lot of their players having slightly inflated stats as things are working well like more goals are being kicked, more footy to share around etc etc
Taking a guess when looking at these stats I would say that the player taken would be a combination of a super damaging kick, elite athletic traits such as pace and ability to use it, or even be a draft bolter that is new to the game in the last few years and seen as a late bloomer. Pick range would be a mid-late 2nd round pick onward as a real upside choice not a sure thing.

View attachment 1289350

This prompted me to check what 2018 was like, we were still ranked low at 15th but that was still 15 tackles more per game!

Then perhaps the selections of a couple of boys with some left speed wasn't so bad after all.
Well we are not drafting for now . If we think chesser or Hough will come in and have an immediate impact then we are wishful thinking .

Clark is ready but seems more in the mould of what you said earlier about tackling being his 1 wood type player .

My concern is once we don't have natanui and don't have any high quality inside mids with more than 1 string to their bows we will fall in a hole .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I accept my reply was a little flippant. You asked a valid question & deserved a better answer so apologies for that l.
The general thoughts are those players who's tackling are their 1 wood, lack a little in other footballing attributes. Generally they lack pace & often don't have great foot skills. So there is a place for those in a team but not too many.
It is my personal view that current WC players have the tackling skill to be successful, but the way they have been instructed to play (game plan) doesn't encourage them to exercise this skill.

Please tell me a WC player whom you think has average (or worse) tackling skills.
WC players whom you think has average (or worse) tackling skills.

Soft tacklers
Gaff
Sheed

Worse that average and of some concern
Oscar (doesn’t help when shoulders stuffed)
O’Neill
Witherden
Rotham
Brander
Ah Chee
Foley
Petruccelle (probably more not in the right position to actually tackle)

L Edwards and Winder are below but still possibly too young

Ryan Daniels

@FootyRhino

·
8m

Once Matt Johnson slid in the draft, multiple clubs approached
@freodockers
. I'm told one offer included pick 23 & a future 1st from Hawthorn. Belief from key Freo parties was so strong in Johnson, they turned it down. Hawks loved Johnson, considered him at pick 8.

Far out! I would have taken Hawks future first for sure! Could have been a top 5 pick too.

Ryan Daniels
@FootyRhino

·
8m

@freodockers
. I'm told one offer included pick 23 & a future 1st from Hawthorn. Belief from key Freo parties was so strong in Johnson, they turned it down. Hawks loved Johnson, considered him at pick 8.

Far out! I would have taken Hawks future first for sure! Could have been a top 5 pick too.
Crazy if true

Crazy if true

Surely it was an exchange of future firsts. Otherwise that’s a bonkers trade to turn down all to draft a guy they obviously rated behind Amiss and Erasmus.

Kelly's not an inside bull imo, he's more damaging as a balanced mid who plays mainly on the outside.
Nic Nat is our ruckman and is likely coming into his last couple of seasons. Redden and Shuey are both old/injured/always getting injured.
The fact that we are near the very bottom of the league in most contested stats (and our sudden improvement in this area at the end of 2018 was what helped us win the premiership) indicates that we could probably do with an inside bull or two, nevermind that our current players in this role are getting on in age.

Our team was stuck in the half back all year because they have been coached to stop, hold up play and look sideways or backwards for a target to keep possession, it had nothing to do with the players that were on the park. The very few times we chose to take the game on this year there was no issue with ball movement out of our backline at all.

We had questionable line coaches....super glad with the clean out.

Like the Knights & Schofield additions..will balance out Mr Nice Guy Simmo

Ryan Daniels

@FootyRhino

·
8m

@freodockers

Classic case of FOMO across all parties.

I’d have done the exchange too. Odds are that even with a future first, you will still get a good player (maybe a KPP they need). I don’t see a reason why hawks will be better next year than current. No Burgoyne to save their ass each game and if Mitchell gets injured, they will finish bottom 4.

Of course if he turns into a Mundy, then freo win all around.

Well we are not drafting for now . If we think chesser or Hough will come in and have an immediate impact then we are wishful thinking .

Clark is ready but seems more in the mould of what you said earlier about tackling being his 1 wood type player .

My concern is once we don't have natanui and don't have any high quality inside mids with more than 1 string to their bows we will fall in a hole .

If we fall into a hole, we get the good draft picks JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER TEAM THAT HAS STAR MIDFIELDERS and back up we go.

GF is good indicator of where in draft good midfielders come from. Only one way to get there.

If we fall into a hole, we get the good draft picks JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER TEAM THAT HAS STAR MIDFIELDERS and back up we go.

GF is good indicator of where in draft good midfielders come from. Only one way to get there.
Who was our highest draft pick in our GF side ?
Masten ?

Ryan Daniels
@FootyRhino

·
8m

@freodockers

So Hawthorn’s future first and 23 for pick 21 with no mention of what’s coming back. If there was nothing coming back that’s a totally stupid trade proposal from Hawthorn and even dumber for Fremantle to knock it back. You’re talking a potential top 5 pick to move up two places in the draft to get a player both clubs had already overlooked (twice in Freo’s case)

If Freo rated him that highly why did they not try to move up in the draft to get him rather than wait till the 2nd round. Could have got a high pick in the teens with their future 1st to do it but we’re led to believe they refused Hawthorns first

Fair bit of mayo on this for a player Freo selected two others before him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back