Opinion The Evolution of Your Best 23 for 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That magpies side could run amok in the sanfl if we keep our list fit. It’s really lacking depth in the midfield tho so would need a couple of players to step up there. Worth a cheeky early punt if our odds are long-ish.

Skinner clurey pasini would form a damn good wall, and if jones is in our seconds i reckon teams wouldn’t be keen on kicking long into our 50. Bit short on goal kickers as well, but could have an even spread there.

Port Adelaide POWER - Round 1 vs ?
F: Georgiades - Dixon - Gray
HF: Butters - Finlayson - Rozee
C: Amon - Wines - Duursma
HB: Bonner - Aliir - Bergman
B: Jonas (C) - McKenzie - Houston
R: Hayes - Boak - Drew
INT: Marshall - Burton - Fantasia - Lycett
EMERG: Mayes (SUB) - Motlop - Dumont - Clurey

Port Adelaide MAGPIES - Round 1 vs ?
F: Mead - Lord - Williams
HF: McEntee - Weidemann - Motlop
C: Frederick - Mayes - Schofield
HB: Sinn - Skinner - Jones
B: Pasini - Clurey - Byrne-Jones
R: Visentini - Sutcliffe (C) - Powell-Pepper
INT: Jackson - Burgoyne - Corcoran - E.Moore

Unavailable:
Power: Farrell (Knee, TBC)

Be interesting to see how Mead and Schofield go this year , hopefully they can make the grade . Williams is another one , these 3 all need a big year . So does SPP for that matter .
My team without seeing any of the new players

Georgiades Dixon Gray
Fantasia Marshall Rozee
Amon Wines Duursma
Bergmann Allir Burton
Houston Jonas Clurey

Lycett Boak Butters

int . McKenzie, Powell Pepper , Bonner , Finlayson

All I hope is that we look to add some pace at every stoppage. Still a lot of expected 22s lineup with Boak, Wines and Drew as the starting centre mids. That’s too slow and I hope we aim to add one of Butters, Duursma, Amon or Rozee rotating through each centre bounce as a combination with 2 of those first 3 for added pace.

Depth Chart -
Pre-Pre-Season.

Best 18 | Contending for best 23 | Injury replacements
Key ForwardsDixonMarshallGeorgiadesFinlaysonLord
Gen ForwardsFantasiaRozeeMotlopMcEnteeWilliams
Flex ForwardsGrayButtersSPPMayesSchofield
RuckLycettHayesVisentini
InsideWinesBoakDrewMeadJacksonDumont
OutsideAmonDuursmaFarrell(inj)
Key DefendersAliirJonasMcKenzieClureySkinnerPasini
Gen DefendersBurtonBonnerJonesFrederickSinnBurgoyne
Flex DefendersHoustonByrne-JonesBergman

Port kicking up.

Finlayson Georgiades Fantasia
Rozee Dixon Amon
Bonner Wines ( c ) Bergman
Houston Alliir Burton
Duursma McKenzie Jonas

Top 24 to 30.

SPP Clurey Sinn Hayes Skinner DBJ Williams

I’d like to see some of the younger players stepping up and with another preseason there belts some break into our starting side

f: Fantasia Dixon georgiades
Hf: burton finlayson rozzee
C: Amon wines Bergman
Hb: Houston alliir sinn
B: Jonas clurey Dbj
R: Hayes butters drew

int: boak duursma mead marshall

sub: spp

emergency: jones gray skinner Bonner

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Taking 2022 as we aren't winning the flag under Ken, but still need to have some experienced players out there for guidance. My side is for 'which team I think will get us to our next flag quickest', not 'which team is going to get us to the highest spot in 2022'.

B: Jones - Clurey - Finlayson
HB: Houston - Aliir - Burton
C: Duusrma - Wines (C) - Amon
HF: Butters - Marshall, Rozee
F: Georgiadies - Dixon - Fantasia
Fol: Hayes - Boak - Bergmann - Drew
Int: Byrne-Jones - Gray - Sinn - SPP

Wines the Captain, giving Finlayson a crack down back so we've more height then Tom 'not a KPD' Jonas provides. Sinn gets the early draft pick starts round 1 go. Gray still in the side, but with father time already slowing him down starts on the bench. Hayes gets his big chance.

f: Fantasia - Dixon - Georgiades
Hf: DBJ - Marshall - Rozee
Hb: Houston - Aliir - Bonner
B: Clurey - Skinner - Burton
R: Lycett - Butters - Boak

I: Finlayson - Sinn - Drew - Bergman
S: Gray
E: Jones - Mead/SPP - Hayes

Think we only have space for one of Clurey, Mckenzie and Jonas. Both Mckenzie and Jonas are ageing and won’t be around for much longer whereas at least Clurey can give us another 5+ years and hopefully form a good partnership with Skinner. We have years of exposed form showing our defence can’t match the best teams so no point continuing to line up the same as we have been. Id stick Skinner on Dixon for all match sims and if he matches him well then let him start at FB and have a run at it.

Would like to see Butters move into a more permanent midfield rotation and swapping with Bergman and Rozee for stints.

Hope Sinn lines up early and can have some time learning the ropes from the HBF.

Marshall really needs to start impacting games from start to finish. Getting up the ground and taking strong marks so Dixon doesn’t have to and converting his goals.

Would like to see Mead, Jones and SPP spend plenty of time in the midfield for the Maggies and between the three provide an option to break into the team if form warrants it or injuries.

DBJ had a very average 2021. We are stocked for small defenders and think we should try him as a pressure forward. Between a slowing Gray and attacking Fantasia and Rozee, we lack forward pressure on rebounding defenders. He can lock them down and provide another attack option.

Gray as the sub won’t be popular but he’s slowed down significantly and I don’t think is an automatic inclusion (hurts to even type it). As a sub he can come on for bursts and covers midfield and forward. Also ensures he’s rested for when we want him to play a full game against perhaps the stronger teams.

Hayes should play 6/7 games at least. Providing a chop out for Lycett and see how he goes. Depending on form, one of Marshall and Finlayson comes out for Hayes when we want him in.

I’d love for him to be best 23 but it’s clear that he’s starting to slow. His weapon for us of winning 1v1’s alone in the forward 50 doesn’t happen as often anymore and he can’t put on the forward pressure. Fantasia doesn’t put pressure on either and I think you can only have 1 of those players nowadays and if injury free I think Raz is ahead of him now.

f: Fantasia - Dixon - Georgiades
Hf: DBJ - Marshall - Rozee
Hb: Houston - Aliir - Bonner
B: Clurey - Skinner - Burton
R: Lycett - Butters - Boak

I: Finlayson - Sinn - Drew - Bergman
S: Gray
E: Jones - Mead/SPP - Hayes

Think we only have space for one of Clurey, Mckenzie and Jonas. Both Mckenzie and Jonas are ageing and won’t be around for much longer whereas at least Clurey can give us another 5+ years and hopefully form a good partnership with Skinner. We have years of exposed form showing our defence can’t match the best teams so no point continuing to line up the same as we have been. Id stick Skinner on Dixon for all match sims and if he matches him well then let him start at FB and have a run at it.

Would like to see Butters move into a more permanent midfield rotation and swapping with Bergman and Rozee for stints.

Hope Sinn lines up early and can have some time learning the ropes from the HBF.

Marshall really needs to start impacting games from start to finish. Getting up the ground and taking strong marks so Dixon doesn’t have to and converting his goals.

Would like to see Mead, Jones and SPP spend plenty of time in the midfield for the Maggies and between the three provide an option to break into the team if form warrants it or injuries.

DBJ had a very average 2021. We are stocked for small defenders and think we should try him as a pressure forward. Between a slowing Gray and attacking Fantasia and Rozee, we lack forward pressure on rebounding defenders. He can lock them down and provide another attack option.

Gray as the sub won’t be popular but he’s slowed down significantly and I don’t think is an automatic inclusion (hurts to even type it). As a sub he can come on for bursts and covers midfield and forward. Also ensures he’s rested for when we want him to play a full game against perhaps the stronger teams.

Hayes should play 6/7 games at least. Providing a chop out for Lycett and see how he goes. Depending on form, one of Marshall and Finlayson comes out for Hayes when we want him in.

SPP will play rd 1

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

SPP will play rd 1

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

There’s a lot of competition for his spot I think. Him simply turning up to the first day of pre season doesn’t make him a lock after being in and out of the team constantly last year. Hope he does smash the PS and demand that spot but I think he’s certainly battling a couple for those last 1 or 2 places come rnd 1.

I’ve been quite clear on my views on his position in the side and would love him to prove me wrong but until he does, I’d rather that spot goes to others.

There’s a lot of competition for his spot I think. Him simply turning up to the first day of pre season doesn’t make him a lock after being in and out of the team constantly last year. Hope he does smash the PS and demand that spot but I think he’s certainly battling a couple for those last 1 or 2 places come rnd 1.

I’ve been quite clear on my views on his position in the side and would love him to prove me wrong but until he does, I’d rather that spot goes to others.
Prepare for him to prove you wrong.

FB Burton Clurey Jonas
HB Byrne Jones Allir Houston
C Duursma Wines (C) Amon
HF Butters Marshall R Gray
FF Georgiades Dixon Rozee
1R Lycett Boak Drew
INT SPP Sinn Fantasia Bergman
Bonner

EMG McKenzie Hayes Jones Motlop

Last edited:
Depth Chart -
Pre-Pre-Season.

Best 18 | Contending for best 23 | Injury replacements
Key ForwardsDixonMarshallGeorgiadesFinlaysonLord
Gen ForwardsFantasiaRozeeMotlopMcEnteeWilliams
Flex ForwardsGrayButtersSPPMayesSchofield
RuckLycettHayesVisentini
InsideWinesBoakDrewMeadJacksonDumont
OutsideAmonDuursmaFarrell(inj)
Key DefendersAliirJonasMcKenzieClureySkinnerPasini
Gen DefendersBurtonBonnerJonesFrederickSinnBurgoyne
Flex DefendersHoustonByrne-JonesBergman
Pretty brutal when you realise you can only have 4 of the oranges/reds. That's 4 of MG, Finlayson, Pep, Hayes, Mead, McKenzie, Jones, Sinn and Bergman.

Should be serious pressure for spots. Would love to see us roll the dice on Hayes over Lycett early in the season.

I'd probably have Marshall downgraded and Dumont upgraded to the 'competing' bracket. Frederick I'd probably have in the depth only bracket.
Yep, I only have about 15 or 16 locks for the starting 18, but 25 or 26 at best 22 quality, and a lot of that comes from:
- Jonas, Skinner, Clurey, McKenzie competing for 2 spots
- Marshall, Georgiades, Finlayson competing for 2 spots
- Hayes, Lycett competing for 1 spot
- DBJ, Bonner, Jones, Bergman competing for 2 spots

I'd probably have Marshall downgraded and Dumont upgraded to the 'competing' bracket. Frederick I'd probably have in the depth only bracket.
Agree with all of those, and would upgrade Georgiades to best 18 (by definition there should be 18 green players on the list). He kicked 30 odd goals in his second year and was only out in the finals due to injury. Marshall is much more likely to drop out for someone like Finlayson than Georgiades is IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back