List Mgmt. Adelaide Crows 2021 List Management thread

Will the Crows pick up any of these players in the off-season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I find it slightly baffling that so many people think the club will be bottom 2 next season which coming after a season winning 7 games would be nothing short of a failure and represent a regression.

The midfield is hardly as terrible as people say, though it does lack a genuine match winner. Nor is the forward line awful, the pieces are coming togther there with TT, Fog, Ned and Rachele. Although we're probably another tall short.

To me it comes down to how close the results were in some games. 8 of the 22 matches with a margin of 12 points or less (4W, 4L)

Taylor Walker was our leading scorer in 5 of those 8 matches. If his output falls away (and noting he is suspended for part of the season), then the slack needs to be made up from our least experienced area of the ground.

The other crappy teams close records:

Collingwood - 5 matches (1W, 4L)
North Melbourne - 4 matches (3W, 1D, 0L)
Gold Coast - 7 matches (2W, 5L)
Hawthorn - 7 matches (3W, 2D, 2L)

A couple of teams there unlucky with a few results.

I guess my thinking is that we aren't clearly better than any of the teams around us to suggest that we will improve more quickly than those teams, and there are no clear candidates for a huge slide down the ladder. So for that reason I see us staying in a similar ladder position

I would love us to be more creative with our SANFL team to hunt talent at MSD. Here are the SANFL Regulations
  • Match payments at a maximum of $400 per League match.
  • An upfront/base payment maximum (per individual) of $4,000.
  • Total upfront/base payments (collective) of not more than $20,000.
15 players identified

Player 45 and 46 (Not on our list)

■ Jamieson Ballantyne (GWV Rebels, midfielder) only for potential nicknames
■ Sam Breuer (GWV Rebels, defender/midfielder)
■ Sam Collins (North Hobart, defender)

■ Josh Rentsch (GWV Rebels, key forward)
■ Josh Green (GWS academy, midfielder)

I would love us to be more creative with our SANFL team to hunt talent at MSD. Here are the SANFL Regulations
  • Match payments at a maximum of $400 per League match.
  • An upfront/base payment maximum (per individual) of $4,000.
  • Total upfront/base payments (collective) of not more than $20,000.
15 players identified

Player 45 and 46 (Not on our list)

■ Jamieson Ballantyne (GWV Rebels, midfielder) only for potential nicknames
■ Sam Breuer (GWV Rebels, defender/midfielder)
■ Sam Collins (North Hobart, defender)

■ Josh Rentsch (GWV Rebels, key forward)
■ Josh Green (GWS academy, midfielder)
Youseff Dib would have to be a monty to have Adelaide's interest wouldn't he? :ant: :D

Charlie Molan would be my choice as a train on/SANFL lifeline player, 186cm 83kg, very solid versatile all round game, clean skills. a true utility can play half forward/half back/midfield all to a good standard. Top lad and a real leader on and off the field.

Youseff Dib would have to be a monty to have Adelaide's interest wouldn't he? :ant: :D

Charlie Molan would be my choice as a train on/SANFL lifeline player, 186cm 83kg, very solid versatile all round game, clean skills. a true utility can play half forward/half back/midfield all to a good standard. Top lad and a real leader on and off the field.
Yep am shocked Molan went undrafted. Had impressed me all season with how relatively well rounded his game was

There’s a few I’d love to give a go, if they don’t get picked up during SSP - Molan, Ferres, Birt, Ballantyne, Stagg, Breuer to name a few

Yep am shocked Molan went undrafted. Had impressed me all season with how relatively well rounded his game was

There’s a few I’d love to give a go, if they don’t get picked up during SSP - Molan, Ferres, Birt, Ballantyne, Stagg, Breuer to name a few
Only thing I can think of that recruiters might have ??'s over is his pace, he's not overly quick but more than compensates for that with his work rate, composure, footy smarts and clean skills, a real bleed for the team character.

I find it slightly baffling that so many people think the club will be bottom 2 next season which coming after a season winning 7 games would be nothing short of a failure and represent a regression.

The midfield is hardly as terrible as people say, though it does lack a genuine match winner. Nor is the forward line awful, the pieces are coming togther there with TT, Fog, Ned and Rachele. Although we're probably another tall short.

how many games do we win without Tex and his resurgent form?

what we have is a forward line that is completely unproven. I think it’s baffling to be baffled by why people might be concerned

what we have is a forward line that is completely unproven. I think it’s baffling to be baffled by why people might be concerned

I feel as though we often disagree but I am with you on this one. We have some talented young players but it was guys like Tex, Laird and Seedsman that were getting us over the line this year. Our forward line in particular is very young and inconsistent. Perfectly reasonable for some posters to think we are a decent chance of bottom four again this year, I certainly don't think we are a guarantee to improve our position in 2022. It isn't like the other bottom teams like North and GC don't have their own talents.

We don't win the games against Geelong and GC without him, honestly

The expected regression of Tex, Sloane, Seedsman, Smith etc should cancel out the improvement of our younger brigade this year, IMO. Expecting a bottom 6-8 finish. That said, if our younger brigade continues the trajectory I think they can, I still reckon finals in 2023 is very much possible

The expected regression of Tex, Sloane, Seedsman, Smith etc should cancel out the improvement of our younger brigade this year, IMO. Expecting a bottom 6-8 finish. That said, if our younger brigade continues the trajectory I think they can, I still reckon finals in 2023 is very much possible

I can understand Tex/Sloane regressing, but Seed & Smith haven't turned 30 yet.

I still think (injuries permitting) that 11 wins needs to be the benchmark in 2022. We finished with 7 wins and 1/3 of our losses were by under 2 goals. We also got thrashed a lot, but that's to be expected for such a young side.

For me the biggest difference will be if Crouch and Milera can be healthy and play 20+ games. I think people forget how good of a footballer Crouch was from 2016 - 2019 and he is still only 26.

Apart from Jake Kelly, our side didn't really lose any contributors from 2021. Our list has (hopefully) gained a healthy Milera and Crouch plus Dawson. Those are three key additions.

Our list is taking nice shape and it appears we have our Spine locked down for the foreseeable future - Butts, Doedee, Fog, Tilthorpe so if we can find some gems in the middle our turnaround could happen quicker than expected.

How many games is he out for? I thought it was just the one for 2022 season with him having missed 5 of the 6 at the backend of last season?
Is it? I had it in my head that he was missing the first few

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We won 7 games but we easily could have won 4 more if a little more went our way. I'd have as a solid 8-12 on the ladder team.

Particularly if we get a favourable draw. I can't see us finishing bottom 4
Half our list haven't played 20 games.
Only a 1/3rd of the list has played 50 games.

High chance we run out of gas

From the 2019 draft at this stage its only Schoenberg who offers serious scope for the sides improvement. I hope McAsey and Worrell have huge years.

Injuries to any of Butts, Walker, Laird would be telling

Its during 2023 if a large percentage of Jones, McHenry, Schoenberg, Fogarty, TT, Butts, Murray, Pedlar, Berry, Sholl, Cook, Hamill, Rowe, McAdam, McPherson, Rachele, Soligo, Taylor can get to 40 - 80 games and 2nd year with Burgess is when I see dramatic improvement.

Until 2023 I see a very young group that could surprise to the upside but also slide and I don't think win/losses should be the only measuring stick.

Eliminate losses over 5 goals would be huge imo

I still think (injuries permitting) that 11 wins needs to be the benchmark in 2022. We finished with 7 wins and 1/3 of our losses were by under 2 goals. We also got thrashed a lot, but that's to be expected for such a young side.

For me the biggest difference will be if Crouch and Milera can be healthy and play 20+ games. I think people forget how good of a footballer Crouch was from 2016 - 2019 and he is still only 26.

Apart from Jake Kelly, our side didn't really lose any contributors from 2021. Our list has (hopefully) gained a healthy Milera and Crouch plus Dawson. Those are three key additions.

Our list is taking nice shape and it appears we have our Spine locked down for the foreseeable future - Butts, Doedee, Fog, Tilthorpe so if we can find some gems in the middle our turnaround could happen quicker than expected.

Seedsman is the candidate for a regression. 29 and just had a career year which was far above his usual output.

Usually those players regress to the norm next year, and of course that's before we consider that we also added Dawson to our lineup. Another factor that could tip the applecart for Seedsman as he goes down the pecking order.

Last edited:

11 wins as a benchmark? That's at the upper end of the most optimistic projections for 2022. There's no way that's a suitable benchmark.

6-8 wins is the benchmark. Anything more than that in 2022 is an absolute bonus.

On SM-T510 using BigFooty.com mobile app

7-9 wins for me, though I don't particularly think that improvement is due to us, more from the league stratifying.
7 - 10 for me

We lost a few close games last year, Dawson will make a big difference and I'm expecting further improvement from the young group who now have a 2nd, or 3rd preseaon under their belts

I alao think we will be really tough to beat at home against all opposition and, and if you look at the sides that finished between 7th - 16th last year it's not a massive gap

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Seems to me all these discussions about ave age of Club lists are a waste of time .....if you're looking at hollistic numbers

View attachment 1289690
Age isn't the important number, it's experience

Our current 2022 list is the least experienced in the AFL.

Only twice in the last 10 years has the least experienced team finished outside the bottom 5

So much depends on the draw when teams don't play the same teams twice.

I'd pencil in opportunities to win as (6):
North
Collingwood
GC
Hawks
Carlton
Saints

Scenario A is we double up against these teams, and get 11 wins.

Scenario B is we play all top 8 teams twice (Melb, Port, Geel, WB, Swans, Lions),and get 8 wins.

Which is the better season?

Back