Retired #43: Anthony "Walla" McDonald-Tipungwuti - Will play his last game this weekend - 24/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Love this. Gym I go to has close ties to Woodford, (a mate a train with also coaches/trains there, and it helps that its 500m down the road) he's in good hands. I know Pidge did some programs there when he was younger, amongst a few other footballers. Also Tippa missus confirmed 😍
You live at Club Keys?

Hearing he is challenging himself to have his biggest pre season . :hearteyes:
That’s awesome and great to hear, but……the challenge for Tippa seems to be maintaining fitness over the course of the season. Always seems to hit preseason hard and be good to go for round 1.

I guess a massive preseason can only help with that so good on him.

Great news. Last 2 seasons he has really struggled after midway point. If Stringer can do it anyone can!
I think we forget how much teams were on the road and in bubble life this year.

2020 was such a wack season that the covid affect was obvious but this year was pretty rooted too

Did walla no favours

Clearly the writing of something amiss was on the wall late last year, and I'm not posting to start a pile on or anything, but if reports are true about how much he is struggling physically atm I do hope he either a: stays the hell away from social media or b: our moron supporters have a heart and don't do what they normally do...

This bloke had been an absolute star for us, and every kid (and most adults) I know absolutely adore him. I hope he's getting the help he needs and first and foremost Is happy, the fitness can come later.

Go well #43!

Clearly the writing of something amiss was on the wall late last year, and I'm not posting to start a pile on or anything, but if reports are true about how much he is struggling physically atm I do hope he either a: stays the hell away from social media or b: our moron supporters have a heart and don't do what they normally do...

This bloke had been an absolute star for us, and every kid (and most adults) I know absolutely adore him. I hope he's getting the help he needs and first and foremost Is happy, the fitness can come later.

Go well #43!
Yeah well said

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Walla has had to deal with racism/abuse and largely on his own, which can be tough.

For a club that was once the central club for indigenous talent in the competition, we've become increasingly less active in that space (in the context of drafting/recruiting). If I'm not mistaken, I think Walla is the only non-white passing player on our whole list, which is interesting for a club that participates in the centre-piece game of indigenous round. It's always a bit awkward being the only black person so maybe he feels that way.

Maybe Walla feels a little isolated with no one that he can relate to? Maybe he's not feeling motivated to be around the club at the moment?
Could that have also contributed to Mosquito leaving? Would he have stayed if we had more indigenous players to support him through his rehab?
Did Saad leave because there wasn't enough diversity?

From my personal experience, I tend to favour places with more diverse nationalities so that I don't feel out of place. It's very very common for minorities to feel that way. Hopefully that's something we're considering.

Whatever it is, I hope he works through it because he is a crucial part of the side. No one on our list is a match winner like Walla at his best. Saved us so many times over the year.

Last edited:
Do you really think it's that or is this just poorly worded?
Poorly worded. What I mean is the result (eg feeling a little awkward or isolated) and not that the club is actively not welcoming. In the context that we haven't recruited/drafted as many indigenous people in comparison to how we used to be under Sheedy. I don't even for one second believe that there's any type of discrimination going on especially with our strong multicultural history.

I'll give you an example of what I mean. Bulldogs in the past were always known to struggle with attracting indigenous talent because they haven't had a culture of drafting/recruiting indigenous players. Indigenous players typically looked passed Bulldogs and nominated other clubs that have a history of developing indigenous talent. It was one of the major concerns people had about Bulldogs' ability to retain JUH. Clearly it's not something they actively avoided, but indigenous players could have felt a little out of place there.

We clearly have a deep indigenous history, but I think that has slowly decreased over the last 5-7 years. Compare us to Richmond on "dreamtime at the G" games recently. We've mostly just relied on Walla (and Mosquito for one year) compared to the many players Richmond have. I've always wondered why Walla never performs well in those games compared to the Richmond boys who all lift for that game. Could it be the pressure of being the face of indigenous talent? His best game funnily enough was when Mosquito played so he shared a lot of the promo with him.

The Davey twins are coming next year so I do want us to have a space where they have indigenous role models at the club. Most of the time, indigenous players mention indigenous role models as sources of inspiration and I want them to have that. They clearly won't have an issue with being at the club and I don't doubt the club will be very welcoming, but I do think having indigenous players to support them during their journey is ideal.

Last edited:
Poorly worded. What I mean is the result (eg feeling a little awkward or isolated) and not that the club is actively not welcoming. In the context that we haven't recruited/drafted as many indigenous people in comparison to how we used to be under Sheedy. I don't even for one second believe that there's any type of discrimination going on especially with our strong multicultural history.

I'll give you an example of what I mean. Bulldogs in the past were always known to struggle with attracting indigenous talent because they haven't had a culture of drafting/recruiting indigenous players. Indigenous players typically looked passed Bulldogs and nominated other clubs that have a history of developing indigenous talent. It was one of the major concerns people had about Bulldogs' ability to retain JUH. Clearly it's not something they actively avoided, but indigenous players could have felt a little out of place there.

We clearly have a deep indigenous history, but I think that has slowly decreased over the last 5-7 years. Compare us to Richmond on "dreamtime at the G" games recently. We've mostly just relied on Walla (and Mosquito for one year) compared to the many players Richmond have. I've always wondered why Walla never performs well in those games compared to the Richmond boys who all lift for that game. Could it be the pressure of being the face of indigenous talent? His best game funnily enough was when Mosquito played so he shared a lot of the promo with him.

The Davey twins are coming next year so I do want us to have a space where they have indigenous role models at the club. Most of the time, indigenous players mention indigenous role models as sources of inspiration and I want them to have that. They clearly won't have an issue with being at the club and I don't doubt the club will be very welcoming, but I do think having indigenous players to support them during their journey is ideal.
Our women's list has Indigenous players too. This pic is from mid-2019, I'm not sure if the pandemic might've caused some drama with the 2020 season being effectively cancelled and state borders and stuff as I can't find a more recent one.
Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 09.30.58.png

Courtney Ugle was our inaugural VFLW captain and only ceded it to Nanscawen ahead of last season. Lachie Johnson is Indigenous (not pictured above, having been listed in 2020 and 2021). Josh Eyre identifies as having Indigenous ancestry too. Plus the academy and community programs, Deadly Choices, the Long Walk, and other groups that share our premises.

I think identity is a pretty contentious space to be walking in unless you are Indigenous yourself tbh. The man made a choice years ago to be adopted into a white family, took their name, move across the continent to live in Gippsland, learn English, pursue a Christian faith and attend a Christian school (as of 2014, the student cohort there is 1% Indigenous and less than 10% LBOTE). The colour of those communities does not seem to have been an overarching driving factor for Walla, and I would not assume anything about him and how he perceives his culture, identity or ties to the club and community that he hasn't said for himself.

Our women's list has Indigenous players too. This pic is from mid-2019, I'm not sure if the pandemic might've caused some drama with the 2020 season being effectively cancelled and state borders and stuff as I can't find a more recent one.
View attachment 1289732

Courtney Ugle was our inaugural VFLW captain and only ceded it to Nanscawen ahead of last season. Lachie Johnson is Indigenous (not pictured above, having been listed in 2020 and 2021). Josh Eyre identifies as having Indigenous ancestry too. Plus the academy and community programs, Deadly Choices, the Long Walk, and other groups that share our premises.

I think identity is a pretty contentious space to be walking in unless you are Indigenous yourself tbh. The man made a choice years ago to be adopted into a white family, took their name, move across the continent to live in Gippsland, learn English, pursue a Christian faith and attend a Christian school (as of 2014, the student cohort there is 1% Indigenous and less than 10% LBOTE). The colour of those communities does not seem to have been an overarching driving factor for Walla, and I would not assume anything about him and how he perceives his culture, identity or ties to the club and community that he hasn't said for himself.
I'm definitely not speaking about the women's program and I am certainly not speaking for Walla. I also never at any stage assumed how he perceives culture or identity. I'm speaking on my experience and drawing upon what other minorities have shared. I'm wondering whether or not he also shares this perspective. Maybe he does. Maybe he doesn't. We don't know. Whilst I wouldn't assume that indigenous representation is important to him, I wouldn't also assume the opposite (that it isn't important) just because he made the choice to be with a white family. In fact, it's probably more damaging to assume the latter.

My point is more about having support available in the men's program from people who can understand his experiences. He may not care or he may deem it as insignificant, but it does help in case he doesn't feel that way. He seems quiet and reserved for the most part so it's just another way of providing support. I am not only talking about Walla. I'm also considering future indigenous recruits who do want indigenous representation at AFL level.

I'll make it clear that I am not criticising the club. Essendon have probably the most culturally diverse supporter base and club history, especially with community engagement programs and grass-roots football programs. I don't think any club comes close in that space.
I do however think that the men's AFL program has become decreasingly active in representation.

Anyway, this isn't a big deal, it's just a minor observation I made. It's baseless speculation really, but it's always good for the club to think about different ways of providing support.

I would like to see more indigenous representation at the club again (and I think we will soon) but it can't be like filling a quota or something (not that I'm suggesting that's what you were getting at JayJ20). It still has to be the best player available that fits our needs.
I agree with that. It's why I used Bulldogs as an example.

If I were to be given the choice between Hobbs or NWM, I'd choose Hobbs every time without a second thought.

I would like to see more indigenous representation at the club again (and I think we will soon) but it can't be like filling a quota or something (not that I'm suggesting that's what you were getting at JayJ20). It still has to be the best player available that fits our needs.

Richmond has just happened to have Shane Edwards play almost 300 games providing a fantastic role model to other Indigenous players. Similar for Betts at Adelaide & Carlton, and Burgoyne at Port & Hawthorn. Guys that make other Indigenous players look up to them and hope to get the chance to play with them. Hell, I'd love to play with AMT and get to see the things he does from inside the 50m arc.

It's not like EFC has actively avoided drafting Indigenous players, just that for varying reasons they haven't made the grade recently.

Mosquito had the talent, and were circumstances different, may well be on the list and playing regularly in 2022. Long & Johnson just weren't really good enough.

It would potentially be tough being the only real clear best-22 Indigenous player on the list, given you're then by default lumped in as the face of the club for things like Dreamtime, but I don't think it's for lack of chances for other Indigenous players. I also think AMT is just not really a guy who wants to be in the limelight, whereas Shane Edwards seems a bit more comfortable with being in that position.

I'd imagine plenty of young players from the Tiwi Islands would love the chance to play with AMT, and I'd love to see some more come in and make the grade as there's something really special about seeing guys get to play the Dreamtime game that come from the background and culture the game is intended to celebrate.

Last edited:
I'm definitely not speaking about the women's program and I am certainly not speaking for Walla. I also never at any stage assumed how he perceives culture or identity. I'm speaking on my experience and drawing upon what other minorities have shared. I'm wondering whether or not he also shares this perspective. Maybe he does. Maybe he doesn't. We don't know. Whilst I wouldn't assume that indigenous representation is important to him, I wouldn't also assume the opposite (that it isn't important) just because he made the choice to be with a white family. In fact, it's probably more damaging to assume the latter.

My point is more about having support available in the men's program from people who can understand his experiences. He may not care or he may deem it as insignificant, but it does help in case he doesn't feel that way. He seems quiet and reserved for the most part so it's just another way of providing support. I am not only talking about Walla. I'm also considering future indigenous recruits who do want indigenous representation at AFL level.

I'll make it clear that I am not criticising the club. Essendon have probably the most culturally diverse supporter base and club history, especially with community engagement programs and grass-roots football programs. I don't think any club comes close in that space.
I do however think that the men's AFL program has become decreasingly active in representation.

Anyway, this isn't a big deal, it's just a minor observation I made. It's baseless speculation really, but it's always good for the club to think about different ways of providing support.
I can tell you're not speaking about the women's program 😆

I'm also not reflecting on your experiences or those of other minority groups, I acknowledge that you feel that way, and that in the same situation that would be a factor in your fitness and/or performance dropping off. I also realise that you're trying to empathise and understand his situation, and I think that's great.

What I'm saying though, and I'm going to reiterate it in case anyone reading is uncertain – is that the available evidence doesn't really support the idea that Adam Saad's skin colour is a key factor in Walla's fitness and performance since July or getting dropped for the first time in 112 games about a month after that.

I'd be more inclined to believe that he was injured and possibly a bit shaken after the Adelaide game when he collided with Doedee and Doedee hurt his neck. His form dropped off directly after that and regaining his form while playing through whatever was going on was potentially also influenced by the pandemic (such as going interstate for long stints and his family being stuck in a 5km zone in Gippsland, especially when you know they're really tight knit).

You can then add racially-charged abuse on social media from a supposed Essendon supporter to that as well – the club specifically called it out in August, Walla responded on instagram about not defining people by their skin colour and trying to unite all people even when we're separated by distance and he also putting his twitter account on private.

If there's an issue with not enough support being provided, I'd say it has more to do with being in a hub interstate with a limited number of people allowed to have contact with the players generally, rather than Essendon not having appropriate people in place. Essendon's support for the Indigenous community and Indigenous players was a key reason Bobby Hill wanted to even come to Essendon (and not any other club) after talking to his cousins and other members of the Melbourne Indigenous community.

The latest iteration Reconciliation Action Plan that came out like two weeks ago details many of the actions the club is taking to further entrench inclusivity and proactive support, which is a process started many years ago with the club considered a top 15 RAP organisation. I didn't realise but we even have a GM, The Long Walk and Indigenous Affairs whose job revolves around implementing it.

I can tell you're not speaking about the women's program 😆

I'm also not reflecting on your experiences or those of other minority groups, I acknowledge that you feel that way, and that in the same situation that would be a factor in your fitness and/or performance dropping off. I also realise that you're trying to empathise and understand his situation, and I think that's great.
I'd be more inclined to believe that he was injured and possibly a bit shaken after the Adelaide game when he collided with Doedee and Doedee hurt his neck. His form dropped off directly after that and regaining his form while playing through whatever was going on was potentially also influenced by the pandemic (such as going interstate for long stints and his family being stuck in a 5km zone in Gippsland, especially when you know they're really tight knit).

You can then add racially-charged abuse on social media from a supposed Essendon supporter to that as well – the club specifically called it out in August, Walla responded on instagram about not defining people by their skin colour and trying to unite all people even when we're separated by distance and he also putting his twitter account on private.

If there's an issue with not enough support being provided, I'd say it has more to do with being in a hub interstate with a limited number of people allowed to have contact with the players generally, rather than Essendon not having appropriate people in place. Essendon's support for the Indigenous community and Indigenous players was a key reason Bobby Hill wanted to even come to Essendon (and not any other club) after talking to his cousins and other members of the Melbourne Indigenous community.
I agree with every reason you stated. I'm also more inclined to believe that it was an injury he sustained along the way and that a lack of support during the hub contributed to his form. My initial post was about the 1% chance that it is a contributing factor. Honestly, I don't think it's going to be entirely relevant to Walla for the rest of his career, but I do hope we look into this so that our men's side can recapture what it had before.

The latest iteration Reconciliation Action Plan that came out like two weeks ago details many of the actions the club is taking to further entrench inclusivity and proactive support, which is a process started many years ago with the club considered a top 15 RAP organisation. I didn't realise but we even have a GM, The Long Walk and Indigenous Affairs whose job revolves around implementing it.
This is why no one would criticise Essendon. They've always been the most proactive club in this area. I've seen their work and I've had first-hand experience at community level. It's typically why Essendon is one of, if not the most popular club among African, middle-eastern, South Asian and Indigenous communities.

What I'm saying though, and I'm going to reiterate it in case anyone reading is uncertain – is that the available evidence doesn't really support the idea that Adam Saad's skin colour is a key factor in Walla's fitness and performance since July or getting dropped for the first time in 112 games about a month after that.
I don't really understand the link between Walla and Saad tbh. This gets me thinking. Does Walla have any close friends at the club? He seems like an introvert so maybe that's why family support is crucial to him. Hopefully that will be a non-issue, but the Omicron variant is a bit concerning.

I just hope he’s doing ok. It is a bit concerning that he’s out of shape, knowing that his fitness issues last year were seemingly due to personal issues and that he’s still out of shape after taking on a personal trainer. Hope he has the support he needs and is ok. For his own sake and well being and of course want to see him in full flight again. I think walla probably brings more joy to Essendon supporters when he’s on than any other current player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back