The Association Football AFL Thread 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think they have done particularly well, given the talent that was on offer at that point.
Two years of covid interruptions. Makes sense to pick guys we could actually watch play.
Beats what is largely year 2 of drafting crapshoot.

But this is Bigfooty where everyone is an expert lol.

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC
Yeah unfortunately if you're an AFL fan overseas you might as well not exist in the AFL's eyes
Not really. The watchafl app is fox footy coverage and I've found to be very good. Their 15-20 min mini matches are very good. Woukd be great if they could package up an hour long weekly review show like the PL

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
"Here's a good idea - lets take the photo right here."

1637948154629.png

😂

Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Man United, San Antonio Spurs

Came in to a club nearly bankrupt, run down and broken. Sails off into the sunset for Carlton with this as his final piece in the legacy.

Cookie is forever a Geelong legend, and we owe a lot to him for lifting our club off its knees and getting it where it is today.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Someone the other day (cannot remember who,l suggest we scrap pre season games and extend the home and away season by a couple of weeks. I agree with that. Don't give a contential about JLT Series, if they need to have pre-season/practice games, least bring back the Fosters/Ansett/Wizard cup.

Someone the other day (cannot remember who,l suggest we scrap pre season games and extend the home and away season by a couple of weeks. I agree with that. Don't give a contential about JLT Series, if they need to have pre-season/practice games, least bring back the Fosters/Ansett/Wizard cup.

Haha what? You need pre-season games for fitness. What's the difference between JLT or those other pre-season cups?

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United

Yeah, you can’t remove preseason games. They are needed to get match fit.

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
I don't think we need more than 2 tbh, esp if the players have already done 6 weeks work of pre season training and intra club games.

Maybe not ‘more than 2’ but definitely 2 is a good number of preseason games. It’s no different than a player having a long term injury (think Charlie Curnow) and then coming back through the VFL. It’s not the highest competition but it was to set his match fitness right. He had been training for it seemed like 2 months before his first VFL game.

Same reason why you have preseason training and then preseason games before Round 1.

I don't think we need more than 2 tbh, esp if the players have already done 6 weeks work of pre season training and intra club games.

But 2 is the current JLT number isn't it?

You saying they should bring back the Cup is the opposite of this, it'd be 4..

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Maybe not ‘more than 2’ but definitely 2 is a good number of preseason games. It’s no different than a player having a long term injury (think Charlie Curnow) and then coming back through the VFL. It’s not the highest competition but it was to set his match fitness right. He had been training for it seemed like 2 months before his first VFL game.

Same reason why you have preseason training and then preseason games before Round 1.

Fair enough, I honestly think the VFL (or whatever it's called now) and other state leagues should start earlier than the AFL and extend its season for this reason , to give players coming back from serious injuries like our Chuck more time to get match fitness etc
Not sure if that is logistically possible though

Yeah Well I was wrong (again)

Still wish the H and A season is extended by 2 weeks but that seems unlikely until more expansion

Don't know why the particular need for it to be 2 weeks longer.

But you still haven't answered my question of you complaining the pre-season is too long (even thinking it was 3 weeks) but then saying you want it to be the old Pre-season cup that would have been even longer.

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
Fair enough, I honestly think the VFL (or whatever it's called now) and other state leagues should start earlier than the AFL and extend its season for this reason , to give players coming back from serious injuries like our Chuck more time to get match fitness etc
Not sure if that is logistically possible though
I think the AFL prefer the different state competitions to run to coincide with the AFL.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
I am bored, decided to make my way too soon 2022 predictions

- TOP EIGHT (in order)

Melbourne
Port Adelaide
Western Bulldogs
Sydney
Carlton