B: Vlastuin Tarrant Grimes
HB: Broad Balta Rioli
C: Short CollierDawkins Graham
HF: Martin Riewoldt Stack
F: Baker Lynch Rioli Jr
R: Nankervis Bolton Prestia
INT: Cotchin Lambert Edwards Soldo

EMG: Ralphsmith Dow Ross

Obviously preseason form and injuries is going to mean there's going to be some of the kids breaking into the 22 by round 1 pushing others out which is ideal.

Fair call. No issue with that. Thought Miller did OK in his 1st game in the seniors. Happy to play whoever steps up though.
Miller was okay in the last game but he has to put in a huge preseason and show enough form to be considered in front of others, else he’s back in the seconds. That should apply to all on our list. Demand your spot instead of whining about not enough opportunity. Kick arse or get your arse kicked out the door.

Miller was okay in the last game but he has to put in a huge preseason and show enough form to be considered in front of others, else he’s back in the seconds. That should apply to all on our list. Demand your spot instead of whining about not enough opportunity. Kick arse or get your arse kicked out the door.
Can't see him being there R1, unless as you said, he has a huge preseason and jumps ahead of ???.. Broad... or because of the well-loved idea of Balta forward.

Wing is not an easy position for some 'pure' mids - the hunt the ball type. I haven't seen much of Dow, but thought he might be more that type of mid. Has he played wing in the VFL much? I guess he has all summer to work on structures etc if he goes there.
Some of the best wingers now were these 'pure' mids as I call them all their junior years and early in their AFL games too, so it comes down to where the development team best see him.

No Mansell ??

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If the club are saying Gibcus fwd then you really have to ask the question why didnt they draft a key fwd. Here we have the best kpd in the draft whose greatest asset is reading the play in front of him and intercept marking. He was tried forward a few times and failed badly apparently.

I dont believe Gibcus at 81kg will be ready as a fwd or a back he wont be physically ready to play KPF for a few years most likely.
People should not forget we most likely will only have Tarrant at 33 in april for the two year contract he signed.

When will people acknowledge we only have JR at 33 and TL at 29 and if even one goes down then we are up s**t creek.
Who atm would be the better choice the undersized Gibcus who has struggled when played fwd as a junior or the 50 odd game physically mature Balta who has played as a fwd before.
In Balta we have an opportunity to add genuine depth and actually play with a third tall up fwd.
He started with us as a fwd spent plenty of time there as a junior and is now an experienced player to a large degree.
Balta fwd and bingo FWD depth solved which would allow the big mature bodied Miller to play Astbury's old role. At least Phsically Miller is ready to go.

If the club are saying Gibcus fwd then you really have to ask the question why didnt they draft a key fwd. Here we have the best kpd in the draft whose greatest asset is reading the play in front of him and intercept marking. He was tried forward a few times and failed badly apparently.

I dont believe Gibcus at 81kg will be ready as a fwd or a back he wont be physically ready to play KPF for a few years most likely.
People should not forget we most likely will only have Tarrant at 33 in april for the two year contract he signed.

When will people acknowledge we only have JR at 33 and TL at 29 and if even one goes down then we are up sh*t creek.
Who atm would be the better choice the undersized Gibcus who has struggled when played fwd as a junior or the 50 odd game physically mature Balta who has played as a fwd before.
In Balta we have an opportunity to add genuine depth and actually play with a third tall up fwd.
He started with us as a fwd spent plenty of time there as a junior and is now an experienced player to a large degree.
Balta fwd and bingo FWD depth solved which would allow the big mature bodied Miller to play Astbury's old role. At least Phsically Miller is ready to go.

Did you just answer your own question by out smarting yourself?
So if Balta goes fwd (likely) there’s a spot for Gibcus. The other side of the coin is he may not be ready straight away. We may not see him to halfway through the year or if all goes well 2023

Did you just answer your own question by out smarting yourself?
So if Balta goes fwd (likely) there’s a spot for Gibcus. The other side of the coin is he may not be ready straight away. We may not see him to halfway through the year or if all goes well 2023
So Jack Riewoldt goes down with a serious injury and three weeks later we lose Lynch to say a hammie for three weeks where the hell are we.
Even if we lose just one of them there is literally no decent option to cover them. The best bet by some margin is Balta.

It is luicrous that a club can go into a season with just two aging key forwards on the list.

At least with young Key Defenders if we move Balta fwd we still have Miller Gibcus Nyuon in our system.

There is literally just the two key forwards atm. The question for us atm would be the best way to ensure we have cover and a small amount of depth in this area.
Again that best option is clearly Balta.For me with the dearth of key fwds who can play its not about what Balta's best role is it is clearly what is best for the club atm.

Quite clearly our best players right atm in the key posts would be Tarrant and Balta with Gibcus developing in the two's.
That does not mean we cannot try Tarrant and Miller in the key posts and that it won't work. Miller's job would be that of Astbury's basically playing a shut down role.
For gods sake Miller is entering year 4 he is a big unit now and Physically ready to go and showed he is ready in the last game.

So Jack Riewoldt goes down with a serious injury and three weeks later we lose Lynch to say a hammie for three weeks where the hell are we.
Even if we lose just one of them there is literally no decent option to cover them. The best bet by some margin is Balta.

It is luicrous that a club can go into a season with just two aging key forwards on the list.

At least with young Key Defenders if we move Balta fwd we still have Miller Gibcus Nyuon in our system.

There is literally just the two key forwards atm. The question for us atm would be the best way to ensure we have cover and a small amount of depth in this area.
Again that best option is clearly Balta.For me with the dearth of key fwds who can play its not about what Balta's best role is it is clearly what is best for the club atm.

Quite clearly our best players right atm in the key posts would be Tarrant and Balta with Gibcus developing in the two's.
That does not mean we cannot try Tarrant and Miller in the key posts and that it won't work. Miller's job would be that of Astbury's basically playing a shut down role.
For gods sake Miller is entering year 4 he is a big unit now and Physically ready to go and showed he is ready in the last game.
Take Kennedy & Darling out.
Take Cameron & Hawkins out.
Hipwood & Daniher - they do have Mcstay, but..

The point is, you take the two key forwards out of any team and much poorer options are filling in.
We will be with Ryan, then Collina, or perhaps the Balta move if the injuries are long-term.
If they are long-term though, like probably all teams, the flag is off the table, which it would be for all teams.

If Lynch and Reiwoldt go down we will be just about cooked anyway. A first year draftee wont make a rats of difference. We can sit the resting ruck down there with Dusty and Caddy. Will be way more effective then a first year draftee.

I find it ludicrous that a random punter with no access to the data video or experience thinks they know more about the clubs plans and requirements when they have zero qualifications or knowledge.

Last edited:
Pretty tenuous our forward line with succession plans/players and I bet we are not the only club with that issue...
You just make do and plan as best you can...not perfectly plan...cos that never happens...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we plan on addressing our forwardline depth and midfield quality next year. Next year the draft is apparently a Giant's Playground so we will be able to secure at least one tall forward next year with our first pick. Additionally, the rumours of Tom Green coming have far from died down and only seemed to have grown extra legs. I'm expecting him to help us in the middle soon.

What I do think people need to understand is that we have time. Jack will play on for another couple of years, Lynch for another 5. That leaves plenty of time to recruit and develop a key forward. Ryan and Mate may surprize us and become tall, mobile forwards that terrorize teams. We just don't know. By the time these tow are ready to retire we will have traded in or recruited players to cover them. Even if the injuries strike, Caddy can fill in (like he did in our first premiership year) or we can trial Balta, Mate or even Ralph-Smith (who showed a huge amount of signs of being a capable mid-sized forward previously).

So, I am reluctant to move Balta forward when he is becoming the lynchpin of our defense and has developed in the role so well. A sure way of destroying a players confidence and growth, is to keep flicking them around from position to position. I don't want Balta to spend a year developing as a forward in the VFL - we need him in the backline where he does his best work.

Moving Balta forward would throw out our forward structure and cripple his development.

What I do think people need to understand is that we have time. Jack will play on for another couple of years, Lynch for another 5. That leaves plenty of time to recruit and develop a key forward. Ryan and Mate may surprize us and become tall, mobile forwards that terrorize teams. We just don't know. By the time these tow are ready to retire we will have traded in or recruited players to cover them.

No chance Jack plays another couple of years. Bar his 6 goal haul in his 300th, his back half of the year fell off a cliff. I'm not even sure he ave 1 goal a game if you take the 3ooth game out.

We all love JR, and no one wants him to retire early, but I'm not even confident he sees this year out.

In fact I have said on here multiple times, the only way I see JR playing all year and still having a significant impact is if we rest him every 3rd or 4th game during the season. At best he play 15 out of a possible 25 games IMO. Or when he does play, we get nothing out of him.

Would love to see RCD come on this year and become the midfielder the clubs screaming out for.
He has the size to be a really unique mid. By all reports so far he’s come back to pre season in great shape.
If he becomes a consistent starting midfielder it will make the draft pick strategy look very smart and also take a lot of pressure off next years recruiting strategy.

No chance Jack plays another couple of years. Bar his 6 goal haul in his 300th, his back half of the year fell off a cliff. I'm not even sure he ave 1 goal a game if you take the 3ooth game out.

We all love JR, and no one wants him to retire early, but I'm not even confident he sees this year out.

In fact I have said on here multiple times, the only way I see JR playing all year and still having a significant impact is if we rest him every 3rd or 4th game during the season. At best he play 15 out of a possible 25 games IMO. Or when he does play, we get nothing out of him.

51 goals and he is falling off a cliff?
he might fall to 35 next year which is acceptable

The Forward line is the biggest issue we have right now because that was the line least effected by injury in 2021. Hopefully Teague can sort something out because I dont ever want to see the combination of Jack, Lynch, George, Aarts fwd again, it didn't work, it sucked. Never again.

Jack will play on in 2023 if his form warrants it. 50 goals was a good return. Yes his form dropped off in the second half of the season, however, that was just a reflection of the team’s overall performance. Richmond was deplorable in the second half of the year and delivery into the forward line completely dried up. I am happy to bet he’ll kick 35+ again and possibly reach 50. Not many sides will have a forward with those numbers. We don’t have a better option on our list so suck it up. The club did not think any forward available in the draft is good enough, so we are sticking with Jack and I’ll trust him to be a reasonable contributor.

R1

Grimes Tarrant Short
Vlastuin Balta Broad
Kmac Dusty Pickett
Bolton Lynch Lambert
Baker Jack Edwards

Nank Cotch Prestia

Stack Soldo Graham Rioli

(Emergencies RCD Dow Ralph Miller Mansell Castagna Aarts Parker Cumberland MJR Martyn all up n coming or depth/injury cover. Then some very promising kids).

That's our best and strongest team on paper imo. If all fit and healthy and in form it should be bloody hard to beat and imo is the best 22 in the comp.

No doubt some players like Mansell, RCD, Dow will have strong preseasons and may push into the 22 based on practice/form. That's perfect and will mean players like Cotch, Lambo, Edwards don't have to play 22 games and can be rested as required and used for maximum impact through the season.

Full preseason. R1 no or few injuries. Carlton like a patchwork quilt all over the park atm.

Farken boom !
Hard to argue with this

I reckon shorty needs a good start to the year
He was really disappointing this year imo

I know he has some credits in the bank but be good if the kids could put some pressure on him

51 goals and he is falling off a cliff?
he might fall to 35 next year which is acceptable
Jacks numbers after the bye...

9 games - 17 goals... Looks ok overall. Take out his 300th where he played a blinder and kicked 6

9 games - 11 goals... and looked physically below his best in a lot of those. Even the last game he kicked 3 against the hawks wasn't that convincing tbh.

So he kicked 34 before the bye, 17 after, if that's not telling you playing a full season is catching up with him, I'm not sure what is. His role certainly didn't change.

And to be honest, I reckon the stand rule in the first 5 rounds flattered a few of the smart/experienced KPF as they had space until teams worked out how to defend the new rule...

Another example of this is the following KPF:

25 goals in the first 6 rounds... 48 in total for the rest of the season.. None other than Tex Walker...

I love JR, but he is fast approaching the end, and we need to plan for it.

Jacks numbers after the bye...

9 games - 17 goals... Looks ok overall. Take out his 300th where he played a blinder and kicked 6

9 games - 11 goals... and looked physically below his best in a lot of those. Even the last game he kicked 3 against the hawks wasn't that convincing tbh.

So he kicked 34 before the bye, 17 after, if that's not telling you playing a full season is catching up with him, I'm not sure what is. His role certainly didn't change.

And to be honest, I reckon the stand rule in the first 5 rounds flattered a few of the smart/experienced KPF as they had space until teams worked out how to defend the new rule...

Another example of this is the following KPF:

25 goals in the first 6 rounds... 48 in total for the rest of the season.. None other than Tex Walker...

I love JR, but he is fast approaching the end, and we need to plan for it.

if Jack is falling off a cliff due he’s numbers then Lynch in plummeting to the ground. We need to manage him. Hopefully lynch is injury free and he can lighten some of that load, heck I’d be happy if they reversed roles. Lynch kicks 50 odd and Jack kicks 30 that’s a good return.

if Jack is falling off a cliff due he’s numbers then Lynch in plummeting to the ground. We need to manage him. Hopefully lynch is injury free and he can lighten some of that load, heck I’d be happy if they reversed roles. Lynch kicks 50 odd and Jack kicks 30 that’s a good return.
yep, that would be a great outcome for everyone...

But it still means we need to plan to replace JR, and sadly, sooner rather than later.

yep, that would be a great outcome for everyone...

But it still means we need to plan to replace JR, and sadly, sooner rather than later.

Would have thought that was obvious but I’m sure we can get 1 industrious year out of him then hopefully a solid 12-15 games the next year. Game evolves so quick that it maybe back to 1 key forward and a bunch of Wiley small campaigners. Who knows. Absolutely no doubt the club will have plan that we are no way privy too

Remove this Banner Ad

Back