Club Focus Fremantle 2021 - Brodie, Clark, Amiss, Erasmus, Johnson, Benning

AFL Club Focus
yes we are well aware. remains the case even after delisting 4 defenders this year
Yeah, this is a sobering thought, the problem with drafting for "best available" basically every time is the extreme list imbalance. Ridiculous how much we invested in the defence

Safe to say we rate Johnson pretty highly...

1638166215966.png

Would surely have involved our first coming back the other way though
Why? a swap of future 1sts between two bottom 10 teams would be borderline worthless, regardless of what we supporters think Hawks are doing next year. Dont think the Hawks would bother suggesting a trade like that

If you turned down hawthorn future 1st and 23 for Johnson then you are foolish, that offer is worth more than any of Erasmus, Johnson or Amiss.

There must’ve been a future 1st going back, but didn’t you already your future 2nd?
If it helps, I heard the same rumour this morning (other mods can confirm as I told them) and it didn’t involve a F1 going back. Maybe that part is being left out but if not, I agree that we should have taken that deal, that’s an insane deal

Joose

Club Legend
Jul 23, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
If it helps, I heard the same rumour this morning (other mods can confirm as I told them) and it didn’t involve a F1 going back. Maybe that part is being left out but if not, I agree that we should have taken that deal, that’s an insane deal
Agree , if he was that good why did he not go in the top 5?

Bailey Smith Syndrome?
Chad Wingard Case?
Archie Perkins Predicament?

Matt Johnson Just Spreading It Around For A Change.

s_wd6

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Bailey Smith Syndrome?
Chad Wingard Case?
Archie Perkins Predicament?

Matt Johnson Just Spreading It Around For A Change.

listened to a podcast with him earlier on in the year and when asked about moving interstate he also seemed to prefer it to staying home

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Why? a swap of future 1sts between two bottom 10 teams would be borderline worthless, regardless of what we supporters think Hawks are doing next year. Dont think the Hawks would bother suggesting a trade like that
Sure but 23 and our future first is an insane offer and if we offered it to Freo you would assume we had offered it to every club before that as well. Someone would have jumped at that.

No way is the reported offer the full trade because that is ridiculous overs.

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
listened to a podcast with him earlier on in the year and when asked about moving interstate he also seemed to prefer it to staying home
It's funny that everyone assumes every single player wants to remain in their home state.

I think this is a myth.

Sure some do.

But loads of young men want to move for the adventure of it (and some probably want to move away from their parents).

This has always been and will always be so.

Not sure why this has become taboo in AFL land?

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Some on different boards had a knock on Amiss for his kicking distance. I am fascinated to see him kick for goal outside 40m, as I thought it couldn't be true that some were questioning him at that distance.
In the first state game, he seem to struggle for distance on one shot on goal. Next time he passed it off.

Sometimes as causal watchers we dont see enough games.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Fyfe's shoulder really is a nightmare for the fella.

You seem to have a shitload of defenders?

Chapman, Logue, Pearce, Hamling, Cox, Ryan, Young, Wilson, Aish, Clark, Walker (11)

Not sure how they all get in?

I suppose Clark can move on to a wing.

Wilson has gone from 'star recruit' to 'list clogger' fairly quickly.
You make a great point.

Last year we had a horrible run of injuries and never had all the players available.

Hamling missed the whole season, Chapman , Cox and Pearce missed half the season, and Logue missed 6 games.

There were games we only had one key back which sounds ridiculous considering we had 5 quality tall backs.

If all get fit, you can’t play all of them as you said.

Aish was playing wing until we had injuries and will return back to the midfield.

Walker and Chapman can develop in the WAFL and play the odd game.

Wilson is in the last year of his contract and Walker can step into his spot next year.

Cox,Hamling, Logue and Pearce can’t be played in the same team.

Let’s see if they are fit first.

dean33

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
melb
AFL Club
Richmond
Sure but 23 and our future first is an insane offer and if we offered it to Freo you would assume we had offered it to every club before that as well. Someone would have jumped at that.

No way is the reported offer the full trade because that is ridiculous overs.
Agree, I struggle to believe firstly a team would offer that and secondly a team would turn it down. You are essentially turning down a top 10 possibly top 5 pick and a butler/sonsie for Johnson.
No way that report is correct surely.

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Hull City
Agree, I struggle to believe firstly a team would offer that and secondly a team would turn it down. You are essentially turning down a top 10 possibly top 5 pick and a butler/sonsie for Johnson.

Maybe we don't rate Butler/Sonsie. Maybe we think adding Johnson to a future midfield core of Brayshaw/Serong/Erasmus is too good an opportunity to ignore, and we'd rather get a year of Johnson now than hope we can get another player of his type and quality next year with that future first.

As for Hawthorn it would depend on where they see their list and its prospects under Mitchell.

dean33

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
melb
AFL Club
Richmond
Maybe we don't rate Butler/Sonsie. Maybe we think adding Johnson to a future midfield core of Brayshaw/Serong/Erasmus is too good an opportunity to ignore, and we'd rather get a year of Johnson now than hope we can get another player of his type and quality next year with that future first.

As for Hawthorn it would depend on where they see their list and its prospects under Mitchell.
I’ve got no doubt you rate Johnson highly although not high enough to select him with 1 of your 2 top
10 picks. Maybe you don’t rate butler or sonsie however I’m sure you could have selected a very good player at pick 23 and another gun with an extra top 10 pick next year. Staggering decision by the dockers if true.

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Hull City
I’ve got no doubt you rate Johnson highly although not high enough to select him with 1 of your 2 top
10 picks.

That doesn't necessarily tell you how highly we rated Johnson; just that we rated Amiss and Erasmus higher. Also worth noting that Amiss was possibly a needs-based pick rather than case of picking the best available.

Maybe you don’t rate butler or sonsie however I’m sure you could have selected a very good player at pick 23 and another gun with an extra top 10 pick next year.

Or we could take a Sandgroper who we rated as being significantly better than the other players available in the second round, fills a need for us (a classy midfielder to replace Cerra or Mundy,) is complementary to the other two players we took and we'd be chasing anyway if Hawthorn drafted.

On the day I'd probably have leaned towards trading in Hawthorn's future first but there's a really strong argument for taking Johnson as well.

dean33

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
melb
AFL Club
Richmond
That doesn't necessarily tell you how highly we rated Johnson; just that we rated Amiss and Erasmus higher. Also worth noting that Amiss was possibly a needs-based pick rather than case of picking the best available.

Or we could take a Sandgroper who we rated as being significantly better than the other players available in the second round, fills a need for us (a classy midfielder to replace Cerra or Mundy,) is complementary to the other two players we took and we'd be chasing anyway if Hawthorn drafted.

On the day I'd probably have leaned towards trading in Hawthorn's future first but there's a really strong argument for taking Johnson as well.
I think he’d want to turn out to be an absolute gun to turn down what you have.

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Still think Brodie has the potential to be the next Patrick Cripps/JPK, and he could easily be the best of your recruits in 2021, is he in your best 22 next year?

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Still think Brodie has the potential to be the next Patrick Cripps/JPK, and he could easily be the best of your recruits in 2021, is he in your best 22 next year?
No.

Currently, we have Serong, Brayshaw, Mundy and Fyfe as inside midfielders.

Plus we have Walters running through as well.

If Fyfe doesn't start the season, I can see him in the team.

In saying that my gut feel is he will make it.

Amiss is the pick that will stand out in 4 years absolutely hoped Collingwood could somehow get him.

He was the only player in that range I would have been happy to trade a future 1st.

Back