Current Trial Wonnangatta - Russell Hill & Carol Clay vanish *Pilot Greg Lynn charged with murder

Did Greg Lynn tell police where he buried the bodies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Camp - yellow, Gate - red

I've looked the north and below the helipad but can't find the area shown on your tightly cropped map.

Is there only one gate? Of might there be another one closer the crime scene?

The one you reference seems a long way from that?

Any idea when that gate was closed? It was for fires? Might it have been open when he entered the valley heading to crime scene?

There was much talk initially that the cameras on the dam wall at Mt Bulla most likely captured anyone leaving the valley. The road block due to the fires seems to have prevented that as an exit point.

BUT potentially the cameras on the dam wall captured his car heading into the valley. Just depends when the gate was closed.

Any chance you could provide a wide and medium screen grab that shows the camp site they disappeared from, the route most likely taken to the closed gate, and obviously if people witnessed the 20/40 point turn, where they were likely camping to witness that. That campsite must be close to the gate to have been able to hear the turn back and see the car.

Looking at the map campers at the Eaglevale camping site most likely saw him drive across the river.

As you obviously know the area well hazard a guess which way out that route might have taken him? Are there any known mines north of the gate.

The turn back was obviously unexpected.

Which suggests the site he dumped the bodies at in the Grant Area was not his original or first choice for disposal. And as he was trying to head north he either had another place in mind, OR in a panic was just getting the flick out of dodge. And the turn back gave him time to think and settle on the Grant Area.

Either way those roads would be diabolical at night.

But that's stupidity rather than cold/calculated/per-meditated criminal behaviour

The original theory was proposed on thinking of what he might have done if he was pissed? If you're a pilot and just ran over someone's tent drunk, that might motivate a complicated cover up.

Or, did he have one of his kids with him and they did it being stupid and lost control of the car? Cover up for one of his kids or something like that.

We ended up thinking that probably didn't happen though and I think Pamcake1 said the police ruled it out.

Oh to have been a fly on the wall when he saw that pic for the first time...it *must* have occurred to him that they would have had his rego, surely.
and the wife. and his kids. and his camping mates. and his radio mates. and his neighbors. It was done for all of those reasons. and what happened. he returned to the same area. Maybe even drive past the site where he dumped the bodies - maybe to try and hide them more.

The original theory was proposed on thinking of what he might have done if he was pissed? If you're a pilot and just ran over someone's tent drunk, that might motivate a complicated cover up.

We ended up thinking that probably didn't happen though and I think Pamcake1 said the police ruled it out.

Another thing i forgot to ask, would it look less mangled etc if it had been run over ?

I remember a person early on talking of the framework to the awning iirc.

Does the remains look like bent poles etc i mean ?

The guy drove solo into a desolate wilderness area in a big 4x4 with full roof cage and a box trailer. Why was he there all by himself and why did he need the trailer ?. The idea that he went there intending to commit a crime needs to be considered. He probably would have got away with it, if not for the closed road to the north which forced him to drive back past the road camera at Hotham. If this theory is correct then it's also possible he committed a previous murder between 2016 and 2019, which was when his vehicle was painted from white to blue. There were several missing persons reported in the area during this time and no bodies have been found.

It's obviousky the same blue 4wd. But I hadn't seen this detailed pucked up before. A white decal on the rear right hand window.

Also the the police image seems tightly cropped, potentially to obscure the shovel on the roof rack. Which ties in with them apparently obscuring the number plate.

Attachments

• 50950477-10241491-image-m-7_1637818165228~2.jpg
    50950477-10241491-image-m-7_1637818165228~2.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 139
  • 50168471-10174433-image-a-13_1636289667495~2.jpg
    50168471-10174433-image-a-13_1636289667495~2.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 140
But that's stupidity rather than cold/calculated/per-meditated criminal behaviour

I guess it's plausible it could happen, I'm still scratching my head over it though.
It explains why the tent was burnt down. Why was that necessary unless there was blood and other evidence in it? Could have just left it if it was “clean” and intact, people would assume the couple had gone off and got lost.

It would also be a quick and quiet killing, not necessarily intentional, and no noisy gunshots or shouting, punching, screaming.

The tent is the key.

Last edited:
It's obviousky the same blue 4wd. But I hadn't seen this detailed pucked up before. A white decal on the rear right hand window.

Also the the police image seems tightly cropped, potentially to obscure the shovel on the roof rack. Which ties in with them apparently obscuring the number plate.
The rear bumper is a custom ARB job. I have one on my Patrol. These are not too common and the vehicle in the Hotham shot also has the ARB rear bumper. Interestingly, the older google picture when the vehicle is white shows a standard bumper, meaning that he had this added after 2016.There is also a missing door trim on the drivers side rear door which was there from 2016.

Great post. I'm late to the party too.

You obviously know the area well.

Those cameras. The police now say two cameras captured the perps car on the top of Hotham. Any chance you could drop a pin on a map as to their location and which way they face. My hunch is that one of the cameras may have captured a front on view. Meaning the driver and number plate. Any idea what the purpose of the cameras is, are they to track movements of vehicles in and out, or for speed. If for tracking you'd think they would be designed/built for number plate recognition.

Again thanks for a great post.
There's these, which are 2 or 3km past the St Bernards Hospice, heading northwest. You ride a motorcycle?

Hotham Cameras.jpg

Last edited:
I have friends (a dozen plus) who knew the first wife well. And knew him. All without exception believed he was involved in that suspicious death. All. The current wife, by his own account, may be number 3. He told someone I know that the woman he was while in Doha he had married. That may have been cover for the authorities there to enable him to live with his defacto. What ever the case, that partner/wife is believed to have died. There are two versions, both as suspicious as his first wife dying on the front lawn of hypothermia. He is known to have also threatened to kill a friend of that first wife, along with threats to pets too. This will all come out. As will his nickname. From what I've heard there are now 4 suspicious deaths within his orbit over the last 20 years. Everyone is innocent until proven otherwise and it needs to be pointed out that there was an inquest into wife #1 that cleared him. But there are a lot of red flags that move the the dial towards someone who may not need much of a reason to kill. If any. As we are all aware there are three missing people in the region he frequented. And there is one unsolved one hit and run. My hunch is all of this may have been on the menu during his interview.

Those cameras are situated near where the old ticket box for the ski resort used to be (whack this into google maps
37°00'02.5"S 147°04'04.6"E)
They were installed when entry permits went digital, so they could track which cars had paid mountain access entry during ski season (you have to link your rego to the pass) So they absolutely would have picked up on both front and rear of the vehicle and it's regov- possibly also driver features. They knew when the 60 min special was filmed who they were looking for and likely had known for some time. I'm guessing they've known since April when they went "searching" along the GA rd and found the shovels. There's all manner of stuff thrown off the side of the road along there (my other half found an old walkie talkie amongst other stuff near there just this weekend), so their "find" may have been a smoking out exercise.
seems that show might have been produced for audience of 1. And few family and friends.

Thanks for your insights, posts abd replies.

Cant get all the scenarios out of my head. Just glad they have been found abd hopefully they've got the right perk off the streets.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've looked the north and below the helipad but can't find the area shown on your tightly cropped map. Is there only one gate? Of might there be another one closer the crime scene? The one you reference seems a long way from that?
The gate is about 6kms by road from the campsite, but hillside, so any sound from up there at midnight would have carried across the valley. There's a helipad north of the gate at the intersection of Riley/Wonangatta/van Damme tracks.
Any idea when that gate was closed? It was for fires? Might it have been open when he entered the valley heading to crime scene?
Can't verify, but I would imagine the gate had been closed since the fires earlier in the summer.

There was much talk initially that the cameras on the dam wall at Mt Bulla most likely captured anyone leaving the valley. The road block due to the fires seems to have prevented that as an exit point.
BUT potentially the cameras on the dam wall captured his car heading into the valley. Just depends when the gate was closed.
I'm not sure exactly which dam wall they were referring to, but but it wasn't Buller. a) its an even longer drive to get there than the presumed routes that have been taken and once at Buller, there would be no need to go north again to GA Rd.. And it's a snow making dam, there's no roadway across it.

... obviously if people witnessed the 20/40 point turn, where they were likely camping to witness that. That campsite must be close to the gate to have been able to hear the turn back and see the car.
From what I understand, the vehicle was "heard" rather than seen making the multi-turns. There's been reference to the sound of a petrol engine/trailer noise (security chains rattling, if I had to guess)

As you obviously know the area well hazard a guess which way out that route might have taken him? Are there any known mines north of the gate. The turn back was obviously unexpected.
Which suggests the site he dumped the bodies at in the Grant Area was not his original or first choice for disposal. And as he was trying to head north he either had another place in mind, OR in a panic was just getting the flick out of dodge. And the turn back gave him time to think and settle on the Grant Area. Either way those roads would be diabolical at night.
There's 3 ways out of that valley - Zeka Spur track, Wonangatta track toward Myrtleford (closed) and Wonangatta track east toward Grant HA (past the main Homestead camping area). All just speculation, but I think you are spot on with original plan being foiled by the gate and Grants being a knee jerk reaction. I don't reckon going past the main camp area would have been a good prospect after making all that noise, so I'm thinking he probably went up Zeka spur and head down Howitt Rd to Moroka Rd and wound his way to Grants from there. Who knows why he didn't dump his load earlier - but as someone else has said, killers often dispose of bodies in areas familiar to them.
1638275125509.png
Orange cross - campsite, red circle - Myrtleford gate, Blue H - van Damme saddle helipad

Can't see many reasons why Lynn would burn down the tent with everything inside it such as the Gas Bottle, chairs etc, unless off course he wanted to cover up what happened to Hill & Clay. Were they in bed when this took place.?

Surely the unused portaloo rules out they'd gone to bed? And that's not me being ageist, I'm late 50s and whether camping or caravanning, and esp. after a night cap or cuppa, I'm not jumping into bed without emptying my bladder! RH might have used the nearest tree, but I suspect the portaloo was at the least for CC's convenience.
I'd be very surprised if they were killed after dark in their sleeping bags. I'm not ruling out Dogs_R_Us theory of being run over, but surely if that's the case, would have to have been during daylight hours?

Surely the unused portaloo rules out they'd gone to bed? And that's not me being ageist, I'm late 50s and whether camping or caravanning, and esp. after a night cap or cuppa, I'm not jumping into bed without emptying my bladder! RH might have used the nearest tree, but I suspect the portaloo was at the least for CC's convenience.
I'd be very surprised if they were killed after dark in their sleeping bags. I'm not ruling out Dogs_R_Us theory of being run over, but surely if that's the case, would have to have been during daylight hours?

They arrived late is often said or his call was late so i wonder as to why they might of just had food/ammenities on the way in etc. I do think the running over scenario is possible but less probable, his boots would be off right ? As others also asked, i think it ewas regarding dooners, but there is no real talk of items in general or has thoughts shifted elsewhere. He could have fumed and used his scope to see any live bodys in the vicinity then driven up slowly, watching to see if they were sleeping before the emmm, attack but its a bit out for me.

They didn’t get there until fairly late in the day and had disappeared by the next day. The burnt out campsite was seen at 2pm. The killing had to have happened at night as that was when the ute was caught on CCTV. I’m wondering how the fire went unnoticed, just the smell should have drifted a long way and alerted other campers (if any).

They arrived late is often said or his call was late so i wonder as to why they might of just had food/ammenities on the way in etc. I do think the running over scenario is possible but less probable, his boots would be off right ? As others also asked, i think it ewas regarding dooners, but there is no real talk of items in general or has thoughts shifted elsewhere. He could have fumed and used his scope to see any live bodys in the vicinity then driven up slowly, watching to see if they were sleeping before the emmm, attack but its a bit out for me.

Need to remember there was enough light left to set up camp, call his mate and fly his drone enough to p1ss off at least one fellow camper. So even if they arrived late-ish, RH at least was fairly active after arrival.

If we're talking long shot theories, RH and CC were reportedly childhood sweethearts. GL is in an age range where he could be their child born out of wedlock! I'm guessing that's not even close to the truth. Or one was his parent. But I'll eat my hat if either of these scenarios emerge!

I have friends (a dozen plus) who knew the first wife well. And knew him. All without exception believed he was involved in that suspicious death. All. The current wife, by his own account, may be number 3. He told someone I know that the woman he was while in Doha he had married. That may have been cover for the authorities there to enable him to live with his defacto. What ever the case, that partner/wife is believed to have died. There are two versions, both as suspicious as his first wife dying on the front lawn of hypothermia. He is known to have also threatened to kill a friend of that first wife, along with threats to pets too. This will all come out. As will his nickname. From what I've heard there are now 4 suspicious deaths within his orbit over the last 20 years. Everyone is innocent until proven otherwise and it needs to be pointed out that there was an inquest into wife #1 that cleared him. But there are a lot of red flags that move the the dial towards someone who may not need much of a reason to kill. If any. As we are all aware there are three missing people in the region he frequented. And there is one unsolved one hit and run. My hunch is all of this may have been on the menu during his interview.

Thanks for your post. Do you have any more information on the unsolved hit and run? That's very interesting given some of us in here have proposed the theory of the Patrol as the weapon.

We've discussed the disappearances of David Prideaux where we have a dedicated thread, Niels Becker, Conrad Whitlock and Warren Meyer on Dom Dom but I think we missed an unsolved hit and run.

Really, so running them over while they are in their tent is a serious theory ?

I wouldn’t have thought so, because there would have been quite obvious evidence from the outset - tyre marks, and there could have been quite a bit of engine noise, and maybe screams? I don’t really subscribe to that theory.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Back