Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 4 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So we might get a third rounder from the AFL as compensation.
No way is a player like Caleb getting that small a contract. Although we could be looking at late teens in compo which is awful. I am very confident he stays

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
With so many good players out of contract, it seems likely we’ll lose at least one this off season. If Power can manage to keep them all without blowing the cap, it may be his greatest achievement yet.
What’s the updated OOC list look like right now?

Like you said we’ll probably lose one but it will be a young player looking for opportunity, just can’t see any of our stars walking tbh, they’ve built so much and are just about to see results, plus it’s such a tight group - just have to start getting a few to sign on for lesser dollars to keep the group together

Golden_6

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
With so many good players out of contract, it seems likely we’ll lose at least one this off season. If Power can manage to keep them all without blowing the cap, it may be his greatest achievement yet.
I do agree that it would take a monumental effort to retain every single player. Baz, Daniel, Macrae, Dale, Dunkley, English & Keath is an enormous amount of talent to be out of contract at one time and all are in our top 12 most important players. Every single player would get offers of $500k from multiple clubs (maybe not Keath purely due to age) and every single one is an AA calibre player or potential AA calibre. I don't want to lose Dunks but if was asking for an absurd amount of say $800k a year, then that's probably the one I'm prepared to lose to keep our list in tact.

This year may be our best shot at a flag given the current strength of our playing list with our young guns entering their mature phase while our established guns still in their primes.

Libbaaaa

Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2021
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I do agree that it would take a monumental effort to retain every single player. Baz, Daniel, Macrae, Dale, Dunkley, English & Keath is an enormous amount of talent to be out of contract at one time and all are in our top 12 most important players. Every single player would get offers of $500k from multiple clubs (maybe not Keath purely due to age) and every single one is an AA calibre player or potential AA calibre. I don't want to lose Dunks but if was asking for an absurd amount of say $800k a year, then that's probably the one I'm prepared to lose to keep our list in tact.

This year may be our best shot at a flag given the current strength of our playing list with our young guns entering their mature phase while our established guns still in their primes.

Keath's contract will be more about length due to his age (30 in January), so a shorter more lucrative deal would be the preferred outcome. I don't see the Bailey Dale contract being that worrisome, he is coming off a 3 year deal so he'll probably get another 3 years on good but not salary cap bursting money.

Golden_6

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Keath's contract will be more about length due to his age (30 in January), so a shorter more lucrative deal would be the preferred outcome. I don't see the Bailey Dale contract being that worrisome, he is coming off a 3 year deal so he'll probably get another 3 years on good but not salary cap bursting money.
I'm not worried about Dale leaving but I do think he'll need a decent salary bump. He seems like the personality type (similar to Macrae) that will get the deal done with minimal fuss. I guess it comes down to whether any of the second or third tier guys that might be on decent money who we could look to move on to keep the stars (JJ, Cordy, Schache, McLean, Duryea). Realistically there's probably $1.5 million in that group alone.

Wood retiring gives us some relief, and JJ's large contract expires this year too.
That helps a lot.

I'm pretty satisfied that Power has things under control. He's one guy at the club who certainly has credits in the bank re: performance.

I'm not worried about Dale leaving but I do think he'll need a decent salary bump. He seems like the personality type (similar to Macrae) that will get the deal done with minimal fuss. I guess it comes down to whether any of the second or third tier guys that might be on decent money who we could look to move on to keep the stars (JJ, Cordy, Schache, McLean, Duryea). Realistically there's probably $1.5 million in that group alone.
Duryea might not play on, he got a one year extension last year and is in the twilight of his career.
Doc is arguably our only real lockdown small defender, although I have been very impressed with the improvement in Ed Richards' aerial game last year and this he can play a small defender role. Personally I think his best football has been played behind the ball.

Wood retiring gives us some relief, and JJ's large contract expires this year too.
That helps a lot.

I'm pretty satisfied that Power has things under control. He's one guy at the club who certainly has credits in the bank re: performance.

Getting JJ's 650/700 year deal off our books will help massively, and honestly, I wouldn't care if JJ walked as a result of us not wanting to give him another big contract, I just don't see where he fits into our team anymore.

Libbaaaa

Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2021
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Last time he signed his extension Dale would have got a real big bump (was on the back of the 20 goals in the last 6 games on 2019). I don't think the bump this time around will be that high unless he holds off all year and has another All Australian year. Cordy, McLean, Schache, Duryea would all be on slightly above average wages, no albatross contracts there.

That helps a lot.

Wood retiring helps big time, he would have been on $500k+ minimum while JJ's amount will vary depending on whether his deal was flat or ascending/descending but lets call it $600k.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last time he signed his extension Dale would have got a real big bump (was on the back of the 20 goals in the last 6 games on 2019). I don't think the bump this time around will be that high unless he holds off all year and has another All Australian year. Cordy, McLean, Schache, Duryea would all be on slightly above average wages, no albatross contracts there.

Wood retiring helps big time, he would have been on $500k+ minimum while JJ's amount will vary depending on whether his deal was flat or ascending/descending but lets call it $600k.
I'm not sure about Wood, but $600k pa for JJ was the report at the time:

Industry sources suggested the Bulldogs had upped their offer to about $600,000 a season to get the deal over the line, meaning the 24-year-old speedster will earn up to $3 million over the course of his new deal.

Foxman98

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Keath/Dale/Macrae/Daniel seem like the types to take a little unders to stay. Can't see Dunks demanding a huge amount to leave as well as his new formed bromance. Tim and Baz are still young so will be more likely a back ended one at worst. JJ Schache will probably test the market to see if they can get a bit more somewhere else as they will only get depth money here

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Who is the one you would be “willing” to lose if it meant keeping the others?
Of the bigger names, if English doesn't improve I'd be fine with seeing him look elsewhere. Dunkley is maybe the next most "disposable" (although both would not be insignificant losses). Keath, Dale, Daniel, Macrae and Smith are too important.

We do also have a lot of players at that next tier out of contract, so it's also possible we lose a combination of them instead of one bigger name. Schache, JJ, McLean, Cordy and Hannan would all be above the minimum and none are 100% required

Foxman98

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Of the bigger names, if English doesn't improve I'd be fine with seeing him look elsewhere. Dunkley is maybe the next most "disposable" (although both would not be insignificant losses). Keath, Dale, Daniel, Macrae and Smith are too important.

We do also have a lot of players at that next tier out of contract, so it's also possible we lose a combination of them instead of one bigger name. Schache, JJ, McLean, Cordy and Hannan would all be above the minimum and none are 100% required
I'd suggest you go rewatch Dunkley at the start of the season before his shoulder. He is our second most important mid especially with how Libba declined through the season. Dale had a very good season but plays one of the easiest to play and replace positions on the ground.

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'd suggest you go rewatch Dunkley at the start of the season before his shoulder. He is our second most important mid especially with how Libba declined through the season. Dale had a very good season but plays one of the easiest to play and replace positions on the ground.

If Dale left, I'd be putting Richards into his spot. If Dunkley left, it'd be a rearrangement of midfielders and potentially West taking his spot. I'd be probably more comfortable witth the first.

Foxman98

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If Dale left, I'd be putting Richards into his spot. If Dunkley left, it'd be a rearrangement of midfielders and potentially West taking his spot. I'd be probably more comfortable witth the first.
Spot on Richards has shown he can play good AFL football at HB West has shown nothing at the level

hutchy31

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Geez I’d die a little if we lost English right when we he’s entering his prime. We’ve invested a hell of a lot over the years. Confident he has another level or two.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't think he'll make it as a first ruck, but I've never wanted to be more wrong in my life. Will gladly eat crow if he becomes that key piece, because it's basically all that's holding us back from a sustained period of success.

I don't think he'll make it as a first ruck, but I've never wanted to be more wrong in my life. Will gladly eat crow if he becomes that key piece, because it's basically all that's holding us back from a sustained period of success.

I'd say at this point that if the club has been shopping around for number 1 rucks for longterm (Soldo) then they don't see English as that role anymore as well... I'm like you, want to be wrong, but I don't see it anymore.

He can bulk up as much as he wants, doesn't change the fact he hasn't shown any of that ruck-mentality/aggressiveness that is needed to really excel in that position.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I still think Libba can perform at the elite level next year. Second most important is a pretty major stretch when it means he'd be ahead of either Bont, or Macrae (just won Gary Ayres award and had 3 consecutive AAs). We then have West who I am confident can step into a serious role in the next year or two. Yes, Dunkley is a great player, but I feel he's more replaceable than Dale, who just made AA in a brand new role. If it were up to me, we'd keep both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back